DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd flight, a couple of questions

mreco99

Reactions
Hope you dont mind another post.
Got out at 7pm to a quiet spot, landing pad was very handy and worked well. RTH worked nicely and I could correct it a bit or abort it. Actually used more than one battery for the first time.
Only went up about 20-25 meters and that seemed really high :eek:
Wind was gusting max 20mph, still seemed a bit hairy when up there, but guess thats lack of experience.
The 4k clips wow they are nice and clear and sharp, did try out a ND filter.
Tried hand catching, failed :rolleyes: but I think I know why now (thanks YT)

RC2 says P mode when in normal mode which seems strange, but hey guess it's weirdly right? Im sure it said N mode at one point.

Id like to see if theres a log of the flights, be nice to see the details like height etc. Is it easy to read?

Cheers Flyers.

Reactions: 4006448
Hope you dont mind another post.
Got out at 7pm to a quiet spot, landing pad was very handy and worked well. RTH worked nicely and I could correct it a bit or abort it. Actually used more than one battery for the first time.
Only went up about 20-25 meters and that seemed really high :eek:
Wind was gusting max 20mph, still seemed a bit hairy when up there, but guess thats lack of experience.
The 4k clips wow they are nice and clear and sharp, did try out a ND filter.
Tried hand catching, failed :rolleyes: but I think I know why now (thanks YT)

RC2 says P mode when in normal mode which seems strange, but hey guess it's weirdly right? Im sure it said N mode at one point.

Id like to see if theres a log of the flights, be nice to see the details like height etc. Is it easy to read?

Cheers Flyers.
P vs N mode, recent firmware update boobed and changed it. The next update might 'fix it'.
Logs...... up load the .txt to phantomhelp's log viewer. Download the CSV and then either read the csv directly or process it with CsvView and get graphical results.
If those solutions don't suit, just replay the flight in the app's flight history.

I'm out for my 3rd flight today too , been doing the same as you, only flying at a low level getting used to stick movements ,until yesterday just outside our place when I went for it and just held the "Up" stick , got to 80 metres no problem, the difference was amazing at this height ( "Dave" is a Mini 2 SE by the way ) and got some nice footage :eek: We have a secluded beach about ten minutes drive away where the only obstacles are trees off to just one side, you sound like you're in exactly the same situation as me trying things for the first time and overcoming the fear of the drone not doing what it's supposed to, I'm targeting RTH today, looking outside right now the sea is flat calm, not a ripple, and not a breath of wind which trust me is a rare day in Ireland :rolleyes: hoping for a good day to get the old confidence up on more level, let us all know how you get on, Have fun bud, Murph ☘️

Reactions: mreco99
BTW, don't know if it'll be of any use but have a look at "Airdata" App, free to register

Thanks Pud, I shall try that out. Replaying the fight?? wow, is that a thing? I will look.
Yes Murph, similar situation and fear level 🤣, 80m I might be that brave today, as we have very low winds too, but it's raining right now, plan to go out later hopefully.

Last edited:
P vs N mode, recent firmware update boobed and changed it. The next update might 'fix it'.
Logs...... up load the .txt to phantomhelp's log viewer. Download the CSV and then either read the csv directly or process it with CsvView and get graphical results.
If those solutions don't suit, just replay the flight in the app's flight history.
I see the logs on the rc2 now and replay them, very cool. I can see I went to 29m high.

Thanks Pud, I shall try that out. Replaying the fight?? wow, is that a thing? I will look.
Yes Murph, similar situation and fear level 🤣, 80m I might be that brave today, as we have very low winds too, but it's raining right now, plan to go out later hopefully.
Same here in Cork but clear blue skies for a change, tell you what, I'll set height limit to 80m aswell and we'll compare notes later at the de-brief 🤣 🤣 🤣 I'm off in about an hour everything charged up and ready, good luck for today and stay safe,
Murph ☘️Thumbswayup

I'm back and Dave nailed it, more windy in Cuskinny but I thought sod it and flew anyway , 20m high straight over the bay to 160m away, came back to 50m, then slowly went straight up , couldn't see drone but green & red nav lights were visible, forgot to change from Imperial to metric and got to 200 feet, stable as a rock, 225 no difference , 250 still rock solid , 275 no side to side movement from the wind whatsoever, amazed how stable it was, also flew over the mud flats then over the sea, tide was at low water, checked an online converter and 275 feet is 83.82 metres, we did it :D :D RTH worked a treat only around 6 inches away, Dave and I celebrated back on the bench with a well deserved rollie ciggy. Massive confidence builder ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: Mrktn and mreco99
I'm back and Dave nailed it, more windy in Cuskinny but I thought sod it and flew anyway , 20m high straight over the bay to 160m away, came back to 50m, then slowly went straight up , couldn't see drone but green & red nav lights were visible, forgot to change from Imperial to metric and got to 200 feet, stable as a rock, 225 no difference , 250 still rock solid , 275 no side to side movement from the wind whatsoever, amazed how stable it was, also flew over the mud flats then over the sea, tide was at low water, checked an online converter and 275 feet is 83.82 metres, we did it :D :D RTH worked a treat only around 6 inches away, Dave and I celebrated back on the bench with a well deserved rollie ciggy. Massive confidence builder Thumbswayup?Thumbswayup
Nice one murph, Dave did nailed it (every time he comes home, he's nailed it TBH) What was the wind and the gusts according to the apps where you were?

Nice one murph, Dave did nailed it (every time he comes home, he's nailed it TBH) What was the wind and the gusts according to the apps where you were?
Wind was 2kph at home with 6kph gusts, Cuskinny was 12kph and 20 kph gusts, It's always worse at Cuskinny as it faces open water so nothing to deflect it, I just thought oh well I'm here now, glad I did though , got footage and downloaded it into GoFly App, getting it onto the laptop is another thing ????
Google search I think

20kph isnt too bad at all I think. 20MPH now thats a bit winder.

Reactions: Murph66
I'm back and Dave nailed it, more windy in Cuskinny but I thought sod it and flew anyway , 20m high straight over the bay to 160m away, came back to 50m, then slowly went straight up , couldn't see drone but green & red nav lights were visible, forgot to change from Imperial to metric and got to 200 feet, stable as a rock, 225 no difference , 250 still rock solid , 275 no side to side movement from the wind whatsoever, amazed how stable it was, also flew over the mud flats then over the sea, tide was at low water, checked an online converter and 275 feet is 83.82 metres, we did it :D :D RTH worked a treat only around 6 inches away, Dave and I celebrated back on the bench with a well deserved rollie ciggy. Massive confidence builder ThumbswayupThumbswayup
Well done to you and Dave 😊💪🏾 who was more nervous?

Planning an early rise tomorrow as cruise liner Regal Princess is visiting Cobh, she's a 330 metre beast of a thing and she's going past our front window, gonna get some decent footage hopefully, watch this space.
regal.jpeg

Last edited:
I updated all of my firmware last night since my goggles 3 and motion 3 showed up. However, the RC2 still shows "P" instead of "N".

Attachments

• firm.jpg
    firm.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
I updated all of my firmware last night since my goggles 3 and motion 3 showed up. However, the RC2 still shows "P" instead of "N".

Ignore it. It's an historical artifact, N mode ("normal") is the same thing as P mode ("positioning"). The label was changed sometime after the introduction of the first Mavic model.

Likely some crusty old engineer that's been coding at DJI since the Phantom 1, at 78 years old his memory's a little flakey, and made some rote coding error.

While it's a little confusing, it's utterly harmless and without any effect on the operation of the drone, so I doubt very much there will be a firmware release specifically to correct it.

Yea, I didn't think I needed to worry about it. But I have seen videos of peoples controller that showed the "N". No biggie.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet