DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight at last...mini 4 pro

mreco99

Reactions
Hi Guys,
Nice to get my first flight done, went out 6am to a local rural playing field. It was a bit windy 33ft 16mph with gusts at 30mph so I didnt take it above 15 ft just to play with the controls, land and all that. Bit of feedback and maybe a question or two (all relative to having never flown a drone before)
Was impressed. Still quite weird to be in charge of something flying even if it was only 30ft away.
It was fairly quiet, about 30ft away couldn't hardly hear it.
Quite stable in terms of position although it did pitch and yaw a bit trying to stay in position.
Faster going up, slower to come down. forward and back are pretty quick, all N mode.
Although OA was on and apparently active, the only time it moved out the way was when I put my hand underneath it. anywhere around the sides it didnt move (when its just hovering). So I guess if something is moving towards it and drones not moving, it doesnt move out the way?

Just used the bag that come with it, which was fine as long as I didnt squeeze the 3x battery charger thing in there too (one battery in drone, 2 loose in the bag. The biggest pain is fitting that stupid DJI prop guard, feels too tight like im gonna break something.

The RC2 controller is lovely (using sun shield too) still fits in the bag ok with that on and sticks still attached. might get the (eBay) rucksack though eventually instead.

I tried to watch the props close up to see how they altered to make it move / turn, I couldn't see any variation apart from spinning, I guess its only needs a tiny change for movement.

Great fun, look forward to next time with a bit less gusts.

Reactions: Mrktn and 4006448
It's nice to get the first flight out of the way isn't it ? Mine was only earlier on this week with "Dave" my mini 2 SE, I was dreading it but after only 20 mins I felt more confident and the more times you do it, (about 6 now) it starts to become second nature to you, now I'm venturing into RTH and camera work etc, I took it slowly as advised by someone on here and got the flying right first then branched off, again, taking it one step at a time, this method is working just great for me, best of luck and stay safe, Murph

Reactions: mreco99
Hi Guys,
Nice to get my first flight done, went out 6am to a local rural playing field. It was a bit windy 33ft 16mph with gusts at 30mph so I didnt take it above 15 ft just to play with the controls, land and all that. Bit of feedback and maybe a question or two (all relative to having never flown a drone before)
Was impressed. Still quite weird to be in charge of something flying even if it was only 30ft away.
It was fairly quiet, about 30ft away couldn't hardly hear it.
Quite stable in terms of position although it did pitch and yaw a bit trying to stay in position.
Faster going up, slower to come down. forward and back are pretty quick, all N mode.
Although OA was on and apparently active, the only time it moved out the way was when I put my hand underneath it. anywhere around the sides it didnt move (when its just hovering). So I guess if something is moving towards it and drones not moving, it doesnt move out the way?

Just used the bag that come with it, which was fine as long as I didnt squeeze the 3x battery charger thing in there too (one battery in drone, 2 loose in the bag. The biggest pain is fitting that stupid DJI prop guard, feels too tight like im gonna break something.

The RC2 controller is lovely (using sun shield too) still fits in the bag ok with that on and sticks still attached. might get the (eBay) rucksack though eventually instead.

I tried to watch the props close up to see how they altered to make it move / turn, I couldn't see any variation apart from spinning, I guess its only needs a tiny change for movement.

Great fun, look forward to next time with a bit less gusts.
I use a large velcro strap instead of the prop guard. Might give that a try and see if you like it.

Yawing the drone is achieved by slowing one diagonal pair of motors and increasing the speed of the other pair. Torque reaction spins the drone.
Motor speed and tilting the drone is the only way the drone has of controlling its movement.
Google "how a drone flies". There's a NASA PDF that looks pretty good.
In addition you might find that all the motors are tilted somewhat, I think this helps with the torque reaction.

Last edited:
Fascinating to think that quadcopter drones steer in both the yaw and pitch axes using the differential thrust of their propellers exclusively.

Watching footage of those nimble quadcopter FPV drones being deployed to such lethal effect in Ukraine, the level of directional precision with which they maneuver hints at the sizzling speed of the number crunching the onboard brains of those FPV drones perform under their hidden operator's command. Apologies for the slight detour, sirs.

Fascinating to think that quadcopter drones steer in both the yaw and pitch axes using the differential thrust of their propellers exclusively.

Well, this actually isn't correct.

Pitch/roll axis movement is created by controlling thrust forces from the air pushed down by the propellers.

Yaw movement is created by imbalanced torque among the 4 motors. Thrust from the propellers plays no role. A quad suspended by a string with no propellers mounted can yaw CW/CCW precisely all day long with just the sum of the motor torque.

What is common about all three axes is movement around any of them is actuated by the Flight Controller varying motor RPM individually.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead