DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another 107 question, so bear with the rookie.....

shondoo

Reactions
So I've combed through quite a few of the threads pertaining to getting the 107 certification, and while there is plenty of good information on the best way to get the license and what it entails, my main question is whether or not it's actually worth the hassle to get and ultimately keep. With over 10-pages coming up when you search "107", I'm sure the answer to my question lies somewhere in there, but after a couple of hours of reading, I really haven't found a solid answer to my question, as as the title of my thread says, bear with a rookie....

In the short few days I've had my new Mini and the pictures I've taken, I've already been approached by a handful of folks, one of which was a realtor friend of mine, about the prospect of purchasing images and/or footage. Initially, I thought, "wow, that's cool", and even after doing some research, I still kinda' think the same way. It doesn't appear to get into a ton of time or money, and I could ultimately recoup that investment fairly quickly and possibly get me to the next step of drone financially quicker than I had originally planned. But I've always been taught that whatever seems too easy/good to be true, probably is.

So my main question really doesn't have anything to do with how to get the 107 itself, but whether those of you who have it regret it in any way. Has it been shown to be worth the investment? Are there any underlying requirements to having the certification that make it a pain in the arse to keep/maintain?

Sean D

Investment into getting your 107 would probably be around $200 unless you feel you are better suited for formal training which would add to the cost.

You need the 107 if you fly for any purpose other than personal recreation. Monetary gain is not the issue as even flying to take pictures you intend to give away requires 107.
Besides commercial flying, having 107 does open the doors for waivers that would otherwise prevent you from flying under recreational rules. For example, it allows you to fly 400ft above a structure as long as you're within 400ft of it. Recreational rules do not allow that exception.

Its worth it.
I have a motorcycle endorsed on my driver's licenses. I haven't owned a bike in over 20 years. But I can ride a friend's or rent one.
I got my 107 before I needed it. I have created a drone program within my job, have funding for equipment, and attending training.
On my personal time I fly way more than work, I have been approached about flying by police, park rangers, ect. Producing a high degree of knowledge along with a licenses and showing a book of photo work I've done. People open up and like learning more about drones.

So I've combed through quite a few of the threads pertaining to getting the 107 certification, and while there is plenty of good information on the best way to get the license and what it entails, my main question is whether or not it's actually worth the hassle to get and ultimately keep. With over 10-pages coming up when you search "107", I'm sure the answer to my question lies somewhere in there, but after a couple of hours of reading, I really haven't found a solid answer to my question, as as the title of my thread says, bear with a rookie....

In the short few days I've had my new Mini and the pictures I've taken, I've already been approached by a handful of folks, one of which was a realtor friend of mine, about the prospect of purchasing images and/or footage. Initially, I thought, "wow, that's cool", and even after doing some research, I still kinda' think the same way. It doesn't appear to get into a ton of time or money, and I could ultimately recoup that investment fairly quickly and possibly get me to the next step of drone financially quicker than I had originally planned. But I've always been taught that whatever seems too easy/good to be true, probably is.

So my main question really doesn't have anything to do with how to get the 107 itself, but whether those of you who have it regret it in any way. Has it been shown to be worth the investment? Are there any underlying requirements to having the certification that make it a pain in the arse to keep/maintain?

Sean D
It’s pretty straight forward to keep and maintain, pay the amount and take the test every two years.

Reactions: shondoo
It’s pretty straight forward to keep and maintain, pay the amount and take the test every two years.

If the FAA ever gets off their butt and finalizes the updated 107 rules (they published the NPRM proposing the change in February 2019), the recurrency exam will be moved to an online format and be free. So there would just be the initial $150 fee to take the 1st exam, and that's it.

If anyone wondered, I quoted $200 ($50 over the $150 test fee) to cover incidentals. You do have to pay $5 for registration on each drone you intend to fly under 107. For recreational registration, you only pay $5 once which covers all the drones you intend to fly recreationally.

I've got lots of free time right now if I quit wasting it on TV, so I'm thinking of getting my 107 just to cover bases. Besides, I and my dad live over a runway path that has a zero altitude ceiling. Having a 107 may get me a waiver to be able to legally fly just high enough to clear trees and power lines.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If anyone wondered, I quoted $200 ($50 over the $150 test fee) to cover incidentals. You do have to pay $5 for registration on each drone you intend to fly under 107. For recreational registration, you only pay $5 once which covers all the drones you intend to fly recreationally.

I've got lots of free time right now if I quit wasting it on TV, so I'm thinking of getting my 107 just to cover bases. Besides, I and my dad live over a runway path that has a zero altitude ceiling. Having a 107 may get me a waiver to be able to legally fly just high enough to clear trees and power lines.
It’s an authorization not a waiver. I applied for an authorization in a 0 foot zone.
I got a 50 foot authorization. Needless to say it was of no use. It depends on how far from the end of the runway you are and how busy the airport is.

Reactions: TampaTC
If the FAA ever gets off their butt and finalizes the updated 107 rules (they published the NPRM proposing the change in February 2019), the recurrency exam will be moved to an online format and be free. So there would just be the initial $150 fee to take the 1st exam, and that's it.

Having there UGR online wasn't part of the NPRM. But it is in the works. It will be a while before that happens though.

The actual time and cost involved in getting 107 is minimal. And if you want to do anything besides fly recreationally, you have to have one.

One benefit to having a 107 is if you want to fly in controlled airspace at night. There is no way for a recreational flyer to get that permission at the present time. Also, recreational flyers are restricted to 400', no matter what. 107 pilots can fly over 400' if within the 400' "bubble" of a structure.

Get it, you won't regret it.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Having there UGR online wasn't part of the NPRM. But it is in the works. It will be a while before that happens though.

It is part of the NPRM:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.21.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.21.16 AM.png
    271.1 KB · Views: 7
Having the 107 certificate gives one a bit more latitude than a recreational pilot. There are downfalls as well. As an example, on a 107 flight a pilot may exceed the 400 foot strict altitude limit (imposed upon recreational pilots) during certain situations. Such as tower inspections or other structure inspections/assignments! Recreational cannot do that! The other shoe, however, is that a recreational pilot can willingly fly at night in Class G without a waiver, whereas a 107 flight requires a COA.

Another is you can get paid (legally) for your 107 flights, but NOT for recreational flights. If you start a flight as recreational, it must finish as recreational. You may not change status mid flight! A recreational pilot’s flight must fully be recreational. It may NOT change! That means you may NOT legally charge any fees for anything associated with your flights.

I would suggest a visit to the FAA web and a slow peruse of the sites therein. You could easily learn the differences between

So, is it worth it? Yes!!! As a 107 pilot, you have the best of both worlds. You may have your flight as recreational in nature or you may have your flight commercial in nature and legally collect compensation for flying.

(Some people will not obtain a 107 license and still charge others for a service). This hurts legit pilots if you do this, it literally takes a possible revenue from a legit pilot. Also, if you do this, you cannot command a professional level fee! You stand the risk of not knowing if the purchaser is undercover or not! A possible consequence is total forfeiture of all your drone equipment.

So, the take away is: if you are a recreational pilot, fly recreationally, nothing else. Else, make a referral to a 107 (and possibly receive a $$ thank you for the referral)!

ADDED: There are sites that are of high reputable value when it comes to knowledge. One that I would always recommend is: Lawyer Rupprecht’s web site. Many sites are available to help any drone pilot to become a more informed pilot. The FAA at FAADroneZone is another excellent start. I would suggest perusing the FAA web arena to gather study material for 107 and study, if for no other reason than to increase your knowledge pertaining to drone pilots.

Wishing you have enjoyable flights!

R,
Jeffrey

Last edited:
Reactions: davefabik
Reactions: dawgpilot
Sorry, I was totally wrong. Is this in the main NPRM or the ANPRM?

Either way, this will take a while. But when it does go through, we'll all use the www.faasafety.gov website. Everyone should go ahead and sign up for an account there.

Thanks for the correction.
It's in the "Operation of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems over People" NPRM, which is published here.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Sorry, I was totally wrong. Is this in the main NPRM or the ANPRM?

Either way, this will take a while. But when it does go through, we'll all use the www.faasafety.gov website. Everyone should go ahead and sign up for an account there.

Thanks for the correction.
FWIW My login for the certification site IACAR seems to work there.
So everyone with a 107 should be able to login.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I am a relatively new Mavic 2 Zoom recreational pilot. The attached photo (shot before I joined this forum) is the landscape project that was installed three years ago to convert an unused vegetable garden into a Japanese style garden featuring Virginia native plants. A very innovative habitat restoration company helped with the design, plant selection/installation, and other aspects. I have documented the evolution of the project over the years with ground level photos, the company really enjoys when its clients do this. Earlier this year, I expanded the repertoire of documentation with Mavic 2 Zoom photos and a short video that I also shared with the company. The company owner was blown away by the video quality (who isn’t J?) and asked if he could share the video on social media. I replied sure. No compensation of any kind, monetary or in kind, was involved. By some postings on this forum this would appear to be a violation of 107 rules. Others have said that it is the intent of the pilot (mine was strictly recreational) during the shoot that matters. I am going to go back into the FAA site and any other sites that might shed more light on this, I’m interested in any comments from members of this forum.

As a side note, I am studying for a 107 certificate, and awhile back someone recommended Prepware Remote Pilot as a great source of practice exams. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Attachments

• DJI_0024.JPG
    DJI_0024.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
don't forget if you get the 107 and start to fly for money... you will need liability insurance, get a tax ID as you will owe taxes on the income and possible other items to make it all la jit...

I have the 107 without any thought of using it. In fact I just renewed it. I would say that the certification is worth having but it's just a starting point. Photography is an art form and I don't think that everyone with a 107 is going to be a success at it. You sound like your willing to get out and hustle so I would say ..go for it!

Reactions: theDRONEranger

Sean D
YouTube has a real-estate photographer. Goes by original do bo . He said that he made $11, 000 last weekend with the new mini 2 on 3 property pictures including aerials.

Prepware Remote Pilot is a good app. 84 question about Regulations
91 questions about National Airspace System, 67 Question about Weather, 28 Questions about Loading and Performance, 70 Questions about Operations
Questions on Loading and performance are multiple choice, for instance #1 When loading camera. or other equipment on a UAS, mount the items in a manner that
A. is visible to the visual observer or other crew members.
B. does not aversely affect the center of gravity.
C. can be easily removed without the use of tools.
If you get the answer wrong, it marks it incorrect, for next time. When I got it it was a free app. Still, working on my 107, not a emergency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom