DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone crime: "It's against the law; it's trespassing" says the police

mavic3usa

Premium Pilot
Reactions

Draper couple warns neighbors after concerning encounter with drone​

Sounds like the couple didn't have an RID detector; bet that entire neighborhood of folks who like to leave their shades open at night, will download the app now.

In Utah, apparently they have a statute that covers trespassing with a drone; looking like they were able to sneak drones specifically into pretty much ever section of the code. Utah Code Section 76-6-206

No wonder nobody will buy a drone and fly it recreationally in that state; I mean, who wants to spend $1000+ and run the risk of being arrested just for having fun.

Here's the story: Draper couple warns neighbors after concerning encounter with drone

Obviously this is not cool and law-abiding, honest drone flyers don't go from house to house looking into windows up close. The Mavic 3 has a good enough camera you don't need to get that close. :p What does the story say, 5 miles range....for 30 minutes. :D

Like anything else, when in the wrong hands harm can be done

Reactions: sarahb
Well, there's one case where RID would serve a purpose. I'd like to see that drone operator identified and prosecuted. He's doing a lot of damage to the public image of all drone pilots.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
Well, there's one case where RID would serve a purpose. I'd like to see that drone operator identified and prosecuted. He's doing a lot of damage to the public image of all drone pilots.
If he broken the law with regards to peeping tom laws then I agree. Bedroom window, hovering, 9pm...probably a crime. However, I do not agree with trespassing or a drone "casing" the neighborhood or so called "harassment" because people became alarmed. I guess you can look at the totality of the circumstances and see if it amounts to a crime but it is still likely you would have needed to catch this guy in progress for something to stick unless he confesses. Again, I'm not a fan of that trespassing law and it is likely not a legal law either.

If he broken the law with regards to peeping tom laws then I agree.
I suspect most places around the world have laws regarding pointing a camera into someone's home in the night, whether it's a drone camera or a DSLR. Regardless of laws, it's an unacceptable thing to do by simple standards of decent behavior that harms the image of drone pilots.

Reactions: Aerophile

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078