DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone crime: "It's against the law; it's trespassing" says the police

mavic3usa

Premium Pilot
Reactions

Draper couple warns neighbors after concerning encounter with drone​

Sounds like the couple didn't have an RID detector; bet that entire neighborhood of folks who like to leave their shades open at night, will download the app now.

In Utah, apparently they have a statute that covers trespassing with a drone; looking like they were able to sneak drones specifically into pretty much ever section of the code. Utah Code Section 76-6-206

No wonder nobody will buy a drone and fly it recreationally in that state; I mean, who wants to spend $1000+ and run the risk of being arrested just for having fun.

Here's the story: Draper couple warns neighbors after concerning encounter with drone

Obviously this is not cool and law-abiding, honest drone flyers don't go from house to house looking into windows up close. The Mavic 3 has a good enough camera you don't need to get that close. :p What does the story say, 5 miles range....for 30 minutes. :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Like anything else, when in the wrong hands harm can be done

Well, there's one case where RID would serve a purpose. I'd like to see that drone operator identified and prosecuted. He's doing a lot of damage to the public image of all drone pilots.
If he broken the law with regards to peeping tom laws then I agree. Bedroom window, hovering, 9pm...probably a crime. However, I do not agree with trespassing or a drone "casing" the neighborhood or so called "harassment" because people became alarmed. I guess you can look at the totality of the circumstances and see if it amounts to a crime but it is still likely you would have needed to catch this guy in progress for something to stick unless he confesses. Again, I'm not a fan of that trespassing law and it is likely not a legal law either.

If he broken the law with regards to peeping tom laws then I agree.
I suspect most places around the world have laws regarding pointing a camera into someone's home in the night, whether it's a drone camera or a DSLR. Regardless of laws, it's an unacceptable thing to do by simple standards of decent behavior that harms the image of drone pilots.

No mavic 3 needs to get 25 ft up to a window to see in clearly. The Zoom is too good. At night, I think a mavic 3 can be 100-200 ft away from a window and see in without issue.

ATTN Pervs: don't get so close as to have your props heard, and tape those lights up as to not be seen. Duh.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zephaniah2001