DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another gimbal help thread

davidzm

Reactions
Hello ? New member here!
I recently crashed my drone while flying indoors. Drone still flies but the gimbal is having some issues. See link to video below. Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated!

Have you tried a gimbal calibration? Do you have the DJI refresh care program? I would try a calibration and if that doesn’t solve it, send it in for repair.

Yes, calibration will not complete.
Are you doing the calibration through the app, or have you downloaded the assistant onto a computer or iMac and doing it there? Try downloading the Mavic 2 Assistant and performing the same function.

Reactions: davidzm
Are you doing the calibration through the app, or have you downloaded the assistant onto a computer or iMac and doing it there? Try downloading the Mavic 2 Assistant and performing the same function.
Just doing the calibration through the app. I didn’t know there was another option for calibration. I’ll download it and report back. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
There isn't.
The type of calibration you do with Assistant is calibration of OA sensors. But neither Mini has OA so, no.

There isn't.
The type of calibration you do with Assistant is calibration of OA sensors. But neither Mini has OA so, no.
Is there any solution that you’d recommend? I feel like I am throwing darts at a dartboard.

I just looked at the video. Seems like either there's debris in one of the motors, or there is a break.

I suggest sending it into DJI for repair to keep your warranty intact.
If you don't mind losing your warranty, you can contact DJI Drone Services. They offer free quotes and shipping.

Are you computer savvy?
If so there is a possible solution. (sorry I am in a hurry.. here is a rough run through).

You should not normally have to do this.
Download and install python.​
Download and install the Python project pyserial.​
Download DJI tools from GitHub. (Search the internet and YouTube for examples)​
Lookup the Drone code.​
Connect the drone and find the Com Port Number.​
run DJI tools JointCoarse and LinearHall commands.​
Your code WM160 or 'MMINI'​
26 # Released 2019-10-30 Mavic Mini​

JointCoarse turns the gimbal as far as possible to find the extents of movement.
LinearHall centres the camera.

Run gimbal calibration from the App.

I don't know if this will cure your issue. Its just something else you can try.

Last edited:
I just looked at the video. Seems like either there's debris in one of the motors, or there is a break.

I suggest sending it into DJI for repair to keep your warranty intact.
If you don't mind losing your warranty, you can contact DJI Drone Services. They offer free quotes and shipping.
Have you used DJI drone service? Are they a good repair company?

I have a similar situation with my MM after a crash. The gimble ends up "tilted" to the left. The camera still works but the video is cockeyed and even though my controller says it is recording/taking pictures there are no images on the SD. I've been told the crash could have damaged the film cable/connector. I have a new cable but haven't changed it yet. Was going to send it off to a repair place for a minimum $149. But since Donald Trump was nice enough to send me $600 I bought a brand new never been activated replacement..,expecting it tomorrow. My old one still flies fine...I'll keep it for parts...just in case ;-)

Jim

I have a similar situation with my MM after a crash. The gimble ends up "tilted" to the left. The camera still works but the video is cockeyed and even though my controller says it is recording/taking pictures there are no images on the SD. I've been told the crash could have damaged the film cable/connector. I have a new cable but haven't changed it yet. Was going to send it off to a repair place for a minimum $149. But since Donald Trump was nice enough to send me $600 I bought a brand new never been activated replacement..,expecting it tomorrow. My old one still flies fine...I'll keep it for parts...just in case ;-)

Jim
My bank account hasn’t been stimulated yet!!??
I’m going to try a local drone repair service and see what happens.

Reactions: Flyhighsky
My bank account hasn’t been stimulated yet!!??
I’m going to try a local drone repair service and see what happens.
Got my new MM today..YIPPIEEE!!! No problems pairing it with the old controller.Every thing works like it suppose to. Now if it would only stop raining/snowing and get above 28f I'd go out to the deck and harass the squirrels. If you send your MM to a repair shop please let me know how you make out. Good Luck!

Jim

Got my new MM today..YIPPIEEE!!! No problems pairing it with the old controller.Every thing works like it suppose to. Now if it would only stop raining/snowing and get above 28f I'd go out to the deck and harass the squirrels. If you send your MM to a repair shop please let me know how you make out. Good Luck!

Jim
Good to hear!
I’ll report back once I get it repaired.

Just a quick update for anyone following. So I took the MM to a local repair shop and it turns out that they were not able to repair or replace the camera. According to the tech, only DJI can calibrate this part after replacement with proprietary software. Does this sound right?

Just a quick update for anyone following. So I took the MM to a local repair shop and it turns out that they were not able to repair or replace the camera. According to the tech, only DJI can calibrate this part after replacement with proprietary software. Does this sound right?
Now you have it from the horses mouth.!
You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

See fizzbang post above.

Last edited:
I saw that when it was posted but was a little intimidated when I read through it. I’ll give it a shot once I get the drone back tomorrow. I really don’t want to have to ship it somewhere for repairs.
You could try this slightly easier process first.
Uninstall any version of Assistant 2 you have on your PC.
Download and install from here a fresh version of Assistant 2 for Mavic.

I do not have a MM but i have noticed that a message pops up about the Mavic Mini when first running Assistant 2 for Mavic. You will have to read that message.

Also uninstall any Go 4 or Fly app on your phone type device (I use an iPad Mini) now reinstall the latest Go 4 or fly app version.

Connect your MM to the PC by the supplied cable. Switch on the MM and run Assistant 2 for Mavic on your PC.
Go to the firmware Update and refresh or upload the latest firmware.

You will now have to restart your MM (has the gimbal improved?) and connect to the Go 4 or your fly App.
Try and Calibrate the Gimbal now using the Go 4 or Fly App. (You must know How because you said previously that you tried but it did not finish.)

Did it calibrate?
Has the gimbal improved?
If not your options are to download and run the dji tools or send away for repair.

I had a quivering Mavic 2 pro gimbal, after a crash and a DIY gimbal rebuild.
Running the DJI tools commands JointCoarse followed by LinearHall fixed the gimbal issue for me at no extra cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3