DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another mavic mini flyaway

Wow... Another sad story.
Thanks for providing more information to tell us what really happen.

The poor GPS message came at 2 seconds before the drone had acquired GPS,
The No Signal Message was after the drone was out of range and signal was lost.
The whole flight was carried out with very good GPS.

There was nothing to suggest any problem with the compass and the drone wasn't in atti mode at all for the flight.
It blew away because the wind was much too strong.
Then look again at 3m 2s.

Then look again at 3m 2s.
Yes ... a momentary false alarm.
14-15 sats, GPS health at 5/5 and the drone maintained GPS.
If it had lost GPS it would have dropped RTH instantly ... but it didn't.
There was no hint of any compass or GPS issue for the entire flight.

A question, does the fact that Airdata can output some of the .txt data mean that Airdata has cracked the encryption? If so could they release all the data in the csv rather than the limited number of types available in the current csv?

A question, does the fact that Airdata can output some of the .txt data mean that Airdata has cracked the encryption? If so could they release all the data in the csv rather than the limited number of types available in the current csv?
Most probably ... for both questions ;) ... how they got their hands on the new encryption & if they intend to release all content in the log is another thing, only they can answer that.

Hello, my mavic mini flew away.
Although the telemetry data show several strong wind warnings, the wind wasn't that bad.
Any suggestions on what might have gone wrong will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Your data shows max. speed of 43 km/h. The Mini can't fly that fast unless it's downwind. The data also show lots of warnings were given. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: aidworker
Umm sorry but the MM's top speed is given as 13m/s in the manual, = 46.8km/h, 42.6ft/s, 29mph.

I watched the left joystick and the AC seems to have climbed with no input, will the wind blow it up and away?

Reactions: aidworker
I watched the left joystick and the AC seems to have climbed with no input, will the wind blow it up and away?
Your observation is correct ... this is due to that he activated RTH so the AC started to climb up to the set height of 35m ... so nothing strange there at all.

1612198718801.png

Reactions: RMS001 and teeroy
The term flyaway suggests that the drone itself flew away but analysis of flight data from hundreds of flight incidents shows that drones don't just fly away at all.
When people say flyaway they usually mean : I lost my drone but don't know why.
Same with "fell out of the sky." :)

Nope, don't agree.I haven't read any reports yet of drones 'falling out of the sky' attributed to pilot error only!
Then you must have missed the "fell out of the sky" due to prop icing cases recently ... very much the pilot to blame.

Reactions: Yogi053 and teeroy
Then you must have missed the "fell out of the sky" due to prop icing cases recently ... very much the pilot to blame.
I stand corrected! For some reason, I overlooked those. As you say, completely pilot error!
I must be a real 'wuss' trying to fly my Mini 2 according to existing advice from Dji regarding it's limitations and also following the advice of those who have far more experience than myself when it comes to flying in damp, foggy, cold conditions.

Reactions: slup
Well, thank you all for your feedback.
Although, as I wrote, I flew my mini quite some times in similar wind conditions in higher altitudes, the outcome was entirely different. In the end, I don't believe that any reasonably seasoned pilot would risk their drone.
What makes the most sense to me is Slup's comment that: "It looks like this Mini ... as so many more, can't reach tilts according to spec. this most probably due to deformed props.
This defect makes the AC much more prone to drift with stronger winds as it can't tilt/pitch down enough to create speed & fight against the wind.".
Although it didn't affect flight dynamics prior to this incident, my props were definitely worn out.

One last question: why do you think the connection to the aircraft was lost at some point at 935 meters? Is it a spec limitation?

Safe flights to all.

In favourable conditions my CE MM has gone out just over 2km over open sea, in less favourable conditions I have started to lose signal at a couple of hundred metres. It all depends on what is between the drone and the antennae and maybe what radio interference is about.

When i get a wind warning, i immediately drop it below 100 ft, and head back manually. It usually warns that RTH is unavailabla. I also dont push it past VLOS. It's too small [MM] to risk it. Sometimes i also put it in sport mode if im able. Once i was >1600 ft away and it was touch n go til i got within the point i could land safely

Well, thank you all for your feedback.
Although, as I wrote, I flew my mini quite some times in similar wind conditions in higher altitudes, the outcome was entirely different. In the end, I don't believe that any reasonably seasoned pilot would risk their drone.
What makes the most sense to me is Slup's comment that: "It looks like this Mini ... as so many more, can't reach tilts according to spec. this most probably due to deformed props.
This defect makes the AC much more prone to drift with stronger winds as it can't tilt/pitch down enough to create speed & fight against the wind.".
Although it didn't affect flight dynamics prior to this incident, my props were definitely worn out.

One last question: why do you think the connection to the aircraft was lost at some point at 935 meters? Is it a spec limitation?

Safe flights to all.
I now use UAV forcast

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming