DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another mavic mini flyaway

Well, thank you all for your feedback.
Although, as I wrote, I flew my mini quite some times in similar wind conditions in higher altitudes, the outcome was entirely different. In the end, I don't believe that any reasonably seasoned pilot would risk their drone.
What makes the most sense to me is Slup's comment that: "It looks like this Mini ... as so many more, can't reach tilts according to spec. this most probably due to deformed props......

So, apparently you take zero responsibility in this even though Slup's very next line says that in those conditions, a fully functioning MM would have still blown away.

You also can't compare previous flights because you have no idea what the winds aloft were. You said yourself, in your OP that it wasn't that windy.

Unfortunately most rookies are totally ignorant of how different wind aloft can be (thats the wind over your head and typically 100ft and up.

It can be 20 knots, or more, different and in a different direction than on the ground and you would never know it. Thats why the 107 test has questions like that.

Unfortunately people don't educate themselves on these things before flying. They put too much trust in the technology, then blame the technology or design when something like this happens, because after all it can't be pilot error. Then people read these 'horror stories' and are too afraid to give it a try.

There's also been many reports of MPs 'dropping from the sky only to find out the battery was never fully latched and popped loose, cutting all power. Or they were flying too low overwater and the drone just mysteriously descended into the water.

Drones do malfunction for sure, but its pretty rare and there are things you can do to mitigate your risks.

It usually warns that RTH is unavailable.
RTH is always available.
The warning is suggesting that the wind is strong enough that there might be a problem if RTH has to fight against the wind.

You also can't compare previous flights because you have no idea what the winds aloft were. You said yourself, in your OP that it wasn't that windy.
Exactly. Obviously, any sounding forecast or airgram can't always reflect the exact wind conditions especially when we're talking about surface winds (10-30 m) that are vastly affected by the landscape.

Anyhow, I often find myself flying based on my instinct and not only on weather data forecasts that might not be realistic or, depending on the source, even outdated. Especially when I fly in areas without cell reception, maybe the latest forecast on my phone cache has already been updated.

As for this specific flight, I still believe that the outcome could have been different if the props where is better condition but I guess I'll never find out.

For the record, DJI has offered me a 15% reduction for a replacement unit.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna