DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another newbie Ipad question.

phantomi

Reactions
Today I bought an Ipad Mini 4 wifi only and 16 gb @ Sam's for $199.99. I thought was a good price for a dedicated tablet for my new Mavic but I'm not sure if it is a good choice. I have not opened it waiting for any advice against it. Many thanks!

Exactly the same ipad mini 4 here. What's your concern? I am only using mine for my mavic so 16gb is plenty of space.

Reactions: phantomi
Exactly the same ipad mini 4 here. What's your concern? I am only using mine for my mavic so 16gb is plenty of space.
Thanks. My concern was related to the16 gb limitation and that it is wifi only. But knowing that if it is going to be dedicated then 16 gb is fine. Thanks. What limitations will it have because of the no gps?

What limitations will it have because of the no gps?
You won't be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

Thanks. My concern was related to the16 gb limitation and that it is wifi only. But knowing that if it is going to be dedicated then 16 gb is fine. Thanks. What limitations will it have because of the no gps?
From what I heard,Home Point,Active Track might be an issue...I'm a Android guy and also want to know the exact limitation of Wifi only ipad.

From what I heard,Home Point,Active Track might be an issue...I'm a Android guy and also want to know the exact limitation of Wifi only ipad.
Thanks. I am also an Androider and was used to a TabS 8.4 for my Phantom 3 but have read that it will not be fine for the Mavic. The 8.4 is a little too wide for the controller and may have issues for the Mavic.

You won't be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

This. Also if you want the little map you will need to catche the maps on Wi-Fi before flying or connect to your Mobil hotspot. Not a big deal imo.

Thanks. I am also an Androider and was used to a TabS 8.4 for my Phantom 3 but have read that it will not be fine for the Mavic. The 8.4 is a little too wide for the controller and may have issues for the Mavic.

I also highly recommend checking out the Mavmount.. You can also buy a one size fits all clamp that will hold all different tablet sizes.

Products Archive | MavMount

I got the mini 4 128g so I'd have plenty of hard drive for video and pictures. I tether it to my iPhone when I fly so maps work better.
I got it because I wanted to not have to also carry a tablet mount.
But
I will say my first choice is my iPad Air with an mav-mount.
I just like the size of the bigger screen, I thought I'd use my DJI goggles more so the bigger tablet wasn't as important. Goggles are great but I just feel less in control, can't see easily all flight data and less aware of my surroundings. My mini isn't getting much use or the goggles.

Reactions: FlybyWyre
Is that a anti-glare screen protector on your iPad Mini? If so, what did you end up using?

Yes it is! I went with Ghost Armor Matte protector. $30 installed with a lifetime warranty. Below if a picture of the matte vs the clear. You lose a little crispness with the matte (or at least it seems like it) but living in AZ and flying in the sun I felt like the matte was necessary.

Yes, with 16gb your cache will be limited. I use a mini 4 with 16gb, but it doesn't bother me since I pull all video and pictures from the SD in the drone and never really use the cache images.

Yes, with 16gb your cache will be limited. I use a mini 4 with 16gb, but it doesn't bother me since I pull all video and pictures from the SD in the drone and never really use the cache images.

You don't have a problem with space when you catche your maps before flight just images correct?

Mine is wifi+cell, and I don't usually cache maps. When I did, it was just sort flights so the maps were small. Can't say how much map area/detail you could cache. Maybe someone else knows.

Yes it is! I went with Ghost Armor Matte protector. $30 installed with a lifetime warranty. Below if a picture of the matte vs the clear. You lose a little crispness with the matte (or at least it seems like it) but living in AZ and flying in the sun I felt like the matte was necessary.

Thanks! I decided to go with this iCarez anti-glare screen protector for a whopping $5.85 for 2 at Amazon. Came in a day early and it is surprisingly decent!

iCarez [Anti-Glare Matte] Screen Protector for Apple iPad Mini 4 [ Unique Hinge Install Method With Kits ] Easy Install with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [2-Pack] - Retail Packaging 2015 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159Q78P4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EXmNzbACMA62C

It's a dry install. Check it out

0bba6606f8eb33fb132e91d5cdf10b91.jpg

Listen, it's no hood, but I'll never travel with one, just too much stuff/bulk. So this is as good as it gets! Especially considering that I was preparing to spend another $50 for this thing!

ArmorGlas - Anti-Glare Tempered Glass Screen Protector (iPad Mini 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DQ4VDK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.QmNzb541ZXBV

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike