DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another telephoto example

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
If you want to pop into the photos and video showcase forum you’ll find a video on the alaska Denali Highway. I have some panoramas of the mountains in Alaska that really showcase the use of the telephoto lens. The normal lens shows the mountains in the distance has little tiny things but with a 7X telephoto they are really magnificent.

Reactions: Coskier
Does it have a panorama mode using the telephoto?

Is it the same options, like 3 X 7 for a 180 pano and 26-shots for a 360 pano?

Ha! Good question. Can the Mav 3 be set to do pano with the tele lens. I don't have my Mav3 available to check and you'd think I know but I do a lot of photography (had my first SLR in 1969) and am so used to doing panoramas that I just shoot a series of overlapping images manually and use Lightroom to stitch the images together. Actually I shoot a series of AEB images and use Aurora HDR to create the HDR images which are then stitched together. At least I'm pretty sure all pano's in that video were done that way. Some may not have been done HDR. By default most every shot I do is HDR although if there isn't much dynamic range (no clouds, etc) then I don't worry about HDR but so many of my shots are landscape with clouds and that virtually guarantees the need for HDR for still images. I -am- pretty sure the Mav3 doesn't do HDR panoramas (but will have to check on that...) so, at least for simple horizontal panos, shooting a series of HDR overlapping images will get you a better final product than a non HDR panorama. Aurora HDR is in my opinion a really excellent program. Their default image is almost always excellent to my taste but I do tweak it now and then.

I will be excited if Litchi ever becomes available for the Mav3 or Mini 3, if only for the potential for waypoints but I'm not holding my breath. I think I read some post somewhere that said the SDK is expected but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
Does it have a panorama mode using the telephoto?

Is it the same options, like 3 X 7 for a 180 pano and 26-shots for a 360 pano?

Nope - if you change the camera settings for pano mode(s) the camera will automatically switch to 1x.

Nope - if you change the camera settings for pano mode(s) the camera will automatically switch to 1x.
Hopefully, coming soon on the 7x telephoto! I've still been able to shoot them manually using the 3 by 3 grid overlay, and panning 2 grid boxes each time. Single row is easiest. Multiple rows become more challenging, but can be done the same way. I've done a 4 row 360° pano with the 7x telephoto.

Hopefully, coming soon on the 7x telephoto! I've still been able to shoot them manually using the 3 by 3 grid overlay, and panning 2 grid boxes each time. Single row is easiest. Multiple rows become more challenging, but can be done the same way. I've done a 4 row 360° pano with the 7x telephoto.

That would be a nice addition - the reason I know what it does when you try to use pano in 7x is from trying to use it. I have been doing my own panos by hand and stitching them in Adobe Lightroom.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That would be a nice addition - the reason I know what it does when you try to use pano in 7x is from trying to use it. I have been doing my own panos by hand and stitching them in Adobe Lightroom.
They are really impressive! At the very least, a 3x3 nine shot pano could easily be integrated for a great automated 7x telephoto stitch in camera, rendering much sharper detail than a crop of the identical frame area from the automated 360° Pano on the main camera.

Here is an example in bad lighting showing the difference in detail. Click on the thumbnail below to see the noise and pixelation in the 600% crop of the 1x image, compared to the 100% view of the 7x telephoto from the same location. If you can't fly closer, for whatever reason, using the 7x telephoto is the perfect solution, and it also gives a much better compression perspective with distant objects in the background being brought closer together with foreground objects than flying closer can ever do!

35DC603A-553F-44C2-B337-AE5596A6441E.jpeg

Last edited:
They are really impressive! At the very least, a 3x3 nine shot pano could easily be integrated for a great automated 7x telephoto stitch in camera, rendering much sharper detail than a crop of the identical frame area from the automated 360° Pano on the main camera.

Here is an example in bad lighting showing the difference in detail. Click on the thumbnail below to see the noise and pixelation in the 600% crop of the 1x image, compared to the 100% view of the 7x telephoto from the same location. If you can't fly closer, for whatever reason, using the 7x telephoto is the perfect solution, and it also gives a much better compression perspective with distant objects in the background being brought closer together with foreground objects than flying closer can ever do!

Yup - I use the 7x lens/sensor for still photos almost every time I fly and make lots of panoramas manually at 7x. The 7x lens makes the Mavic 3 a far more useful photography platform than a simple constant wide angle lens.

I did my first outdoor flight and tested the tele camera at 7x. I am happy with it.

Drones are not really that common among my group of friends. The 7x zoom photo brought about plenty of 'wow!' from them. 😆

1x7x.jpg

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tornado_33