DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna mod/amp help

Capcadet05

Reactions
Alrighty folks I need to big time help with my antenna mod, trying to isolate down what part is the issue but frankly I’m pretty unhappy. I bought the cleaninstall controller adapter kit from maxx UAV. Instructions were ok and part seemed fine. I reinstalled and verified the cable to mother board connection twice but my base line controller range decreased drastically. I emailed Jake at maxx Uav to workout issues with install but haven’t heard response in months.

So I have a run a lot of tests here to help isolate, hoping someone smarter than me can help find the culprit. I’m about ready to just buy baseline mavic controller and give up the MOd.

I bought 3 antennas all pictured in attachments. For post sake we will call them 7 dB (pannel antenna) , 5db (came with amp and shortest), 15 dB (longest).

First test I did was with each antenna over the same course i have flow with non-mod controller. Results were abysmal.
15 dB- lost track and signal 50 for above ground . I moved antenna and made sure I wasn’t pointing at the drone due to pattern . Still no difference.
7db - best result, naturally had to point at it, went about 70%of range of stock antenna and then lost signal
5db - was 2nd best and went about 40% of range of stock antenna.
No antenna- controller sees drone and video fine on ground but obviously doesn’t work greater than a few feet away

All this made me initially skeptical of two things, mother board connection /insertion loss of Maxx Uav kit. But verified solid mother board connection by opening controller back up. No way to verify antenna quality other than cutting them open. Maybe invest in $$$$ antenna with verified Db?

Second test I did was with the amps. Not impressed at all. I did the test with 2x amps on each rp sma. Verified power was on and put each type of antenna on the kit for the test . All had the same result . Lost signal at 50ish ft. This tells me there was huge insertion loss with no gain. Only two things I can think of to cause this:
1. The mini connector cable from controller to amp is garbage and bleeding all the signal strength so there is nothing to boost when it hits booster
2. There isn’t enough bolts going to booster. It’s advertised as up to 16volts. There was zero heat sync issues when they were powered on. This made me wonder what volts or power were going to the amps . I used stock power supply from kit . Is this enough power?

Also looking to make a mobile kit, but don’t know how to power both off one battery and how to control voltage via rc style battery. Any product recommendations

0afce9c33830d05f2aa900b0d5721b69.jpg
e8bddd60795841f7b2649e326e1df852.jpg
91f6533990b847ba52402b3e75bf574b.jpg
2033f06d2491e6fd734d41f326d25b6d.jpg
4fbe96c907f0c92c0e3e5864cc8251a3.jpg
522ad9ae4790a1459921c36fbe5a6027.jpg
167e7f7cb45e9ad69e4dbfd8d41f3072.jpg
5871d12b2fe52abd75009dbb3134e0c7.jpg
ac21217d5b4b3e8501e268c5d8b9e508.jpg
? I currently have what is below in pics but it’s one cable and frankly I haven’t gotten it to work because power pin isn’t small enough .

Really hope the forum can help me out here, lots of questions folks!

I have the Alpha panels as my best all around antenna. Although theoretically they are directional, they are not significantly so. Not pointing them precisely at the drone is not the problem.
My advice is to eliminate as many variables as possible. Put the amps aside for now. Work with one antenna set. Those alphas should be equal to or greater than stock.
Although you checked it, there is only one variable left... the items in the RC installation kit. FYI, I used the kit from Titan Drones and it worked perfectly. You may have to do a reinstall. That’s what I would do.

I have the Alpha panels as my best all around antenna. Although theoretically they are directional, they are not significantly so. Not pointing them precisely at the drone is not the problem.
My advice is to eliminate as many variables as possible. Put the amps aside for now. Work with one antenna set. Those alphas should be equal to or greater than stock.
Although you checked it, there is only one variable left... the items in the RC installation kit. FYI, I used the kit from Titan Drones and it worked perfectly. You may have to do a reinstall. That’s what I would do.

Thanks I totally agree and am looking at reinstall kit now. Only thing I can think of is polarity problem. All the kits should take The controller and put it to SMA not RP-SMa correct ? Could it be that I need rp sma adapter before antenna ?

Thanks I totally agree and am looking at reinstall kit now. Only thing I can think of is polarity problem. All the kits should take The controller and put it to SMA not RP-SMa correct ? Could it be that I need rp sma adapter before antenna ?
All antenna bases use RP-SMA male connections: WITHOUT the stud in the middle. The output of the RC then has to be RP-SMA Female connections: WITH the stud in the middle. Weird terminology.

SEE DESCRIPTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PHOTO.
SMA Connetors.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.33.41 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27