DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any chance of a new Smart Controller?

Kyle76

Reactions
DJI continues to bring out new products, but will they release a new Smart Controller? I’m thinking I’d like to get one, but I know there are limitations with the existing model and I’m thinking they’re bound to come out with an updated version. Any hint when and if that might occur?

the only people who can answer your question are DJI themselves ,any comments on this forum will be based on speculation at this moment in time ,but all good things come to those who wait

I've heard that the model after next will be even better.

Which limitations are you thinking about?
A little bigger and brighter screen, more memory, more powerful processor come to mind. Never used one, just going by comments from users.

A little bigger and brighter screen, more memory, more powerful processor come to mind. Never used one, just going by comments from users.

I think the screen size is a compromise to keep the unit dimensions reasonable. It is already very bright. It has HDMI out. The processor seems fine, maybe unless you want to run some computationally intensive third-party stuff, which I haven't tried. It has a microSD card slot if you need more memory.

Reactions: Renato Costa Lima
I've heard that the model after next will be even better.

Which limitations are you thinking about?
Originaldobo documented the smart controller having less range with the Air 2S than the stock controller.

Despite being a technologist, I can only hypothesize as to why:
1) Occusync 3.0 may require transmission power the Smart Controller has less of than the stock controller
2) It could just require a parameter change to achieve the boost in power for the smart controller

Outside of the FCC's realm, Henrik of Tech Drone Media, illustrated the smart controller being laggy with the Air 2S; I can't observe this in the US - but trust Henrik's observations.

As someone that loves my Smart Controller, I'd like to see DJI support anything they make that uses O2 or O3, parity or better than the stock controller for range (as Autel's Smart Controller promises), and an optional 7.9" screen size offering to match what they do for the Crystal Sky (which shamefully doesn't support DJI Fly). They should then add the same 64bit processors found on flagship phones and at least 128GB built in storage and 8 to 12GB Ram.

They could start with making the SC compatible with the Mini 2. Then follow up by makind the SC work with the Air2s. Note how many Air 2s reviewers started off with the SC only to find out it didn’t work. Try to find a current reviewer using the SC with the Air2s. None. Because it doesn’t work. Video lag and range issues unresolved. I would like to see DJI correct these issues before giving us another one that will be quickly obsolete. Remember the Crystal Sky. Another one obsolete.

Reactions: mshmovie
the only people who can answer your question are DJI themselves ,any comments on this forum will be based on speculation at this moment in time ,but all good things come to those who wait
But all those that wait too long will miss out on all the good things that are currently available. There comes a point when we must simply jump into the water and enjoy it.

They could start with making the SC compatible with the Mini 2. Then follow up by makind the SC work with the Air2s. Note how many Air 2s reviewers started off with the SC only to find out it didn’t work. Try to find a current reviewer using the SC with the Air2s. None. Because it doesn’t work. Video lag and range issues unresolved. I would like to see DJI correct these issues before giving us another one that will be quickly obsolete. Remember the Crystal Sky. Another one obsolete.
I have no practical issues using the smart controller with my Air 2S within VLOS in the FCC's realm of operation (the US); no perceptible lag and comparable to my M2P. I have not and will not do a long range, beyond VLOS test and do believe what Original Dobo posted (in that clip he wasn't sure where his Air 2S was when trying to pilot it back - that's not the way I choose to fly - I'll stress at work and unwind when I fly).

Have you observed the SC not working and having lag with the Air 2S first hand? If so, please chare the details.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980