DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any cool old sites to explore within 100 miles of Cincinnati?

Sparky2525

Reactions
I'm new to this forum, and was curious if anyone has any local "of the beaten path" places that they like to hike to film. One place I would like to visit when it warms up is the old Peterson Ammunition factory next to Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. Your pick?

Go along the Ohio river. From Cincy down to the lock. Either side of the river would be fantastic. There is a very famous place on the Ky side called Rabbit Hash. Windy roads to get there, but an excellent place to fly. Been there many times on my bike. Good luck!

Reactions: Sparky2525
Hocking hills. Between Lancaster & Nelsonville, Ohio. Old man's cave & lots of other interesting walking paths.
I'm originally from that part of Ohio.

Red River Gorge is about 2 hrs. south, i.e. Natural Bridge area. I've been in Mt. Airy forest a couple times, although I think it is prohibited. There is a ham. co. park on east miami river road; colerain township that has a special area for rc flying. There is a large park in Butler co. ie. Hamilton that a rc area, both air and ground (might be Joyce Pk.)

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Mt Adams, both from the lookout at the Church (Imaculata?) and from the parking lot at the Celestial/Old Rookwood pottery. Great City and bridge views.

Also, same type thing from KY side is Devou Park, where, unlike Hamilton County Parks, it is legal to fly.

Last, the Beckjord Power plant east of Cinti on 52 is abandoned, and most of the high tension power lines have been removed. If you decide to fly between the smoke stacks, say hi to my MP, which lives on one of the smoke stack catwalks.

Go along the Ohio river. From Cincy down to the lock. Either side of the river would be fantastic. There is a very famous place on the Ky side called Rabbit Hash. Windy roads to get there, but an excellent place to fly. Been there many times on my bike. Good luck!
Yeah, I have been there quite a few times on 2 wheels. It's a great ride up there, too bad the original general store burnt down 1-2 years ago.

Mt Adams, both from the lookout at the Church (Imaculata?) and from the parking lot at the Celestial/Old Rookwood pottery. Great City and bridge views.

Also, same type thing from KY side is Devou Park, where, unlike Hamilton County Parks, it is legal to fly.

Last, the Beckjord Power plant east of Cinti on 52 is abandoned, and most of the high tension power lines have been removed. If you decide to fly between the smoke stacks, say hi to my MP, which lives on one of the smoke stack catwalks.
I was actually thinking of just that area. Question is though, is that area a "no fly zone" because of the proximity to downtown Cincinnati /Airport?

I was actually thinking of just that area. Question is though, is that area a "no fly zone" because of the proximity to downtown Cincinnati /Airport?
No. But, the HC Justice Center is no fly, but far enough away that one can still get good shots.

can anyone suggest great launch locations in and around the city? visiting in a week. thanks in advance.

Devou park across rhe river in Covingon. It is maybe 500 ft above the river, so a good high launch spot for city views.

Reactions: Liny

Beckjord Plant—

Sorry to be the purveyor of such news….
Sorry she is gone. (Pics below, before and after).
I was going to fly it. With my Mavic 3. Which yes will lift a MP or MA2. With a 12/0 treble hook snag rig on a swivel on 6# fishing line.
Is only the foundation left now. All 5 stacks are leveled along with all structures.
No idea how the stacks came down.
Would have written you on recovery.
But now your MP can RIP.
I did a small little “thought” for your craft on seeing the stacks were dropped.
In Memory! 👊🏼 🕊

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Attachments

• 11B66F21-109F-4A0C-93D5-6B7DBEE5A780.jpeg
    11B66F21-109F-4A0C-93D5-6B7DBEE5A780.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 46E91890-6710-4DB8-8A50-E589135BBD86.jpeg
    46E91890-6710-4DB8-8A50-E589135BBD86.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals