DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any difference between Air 2s and Mini 3 pro RC-N1 controllers?

The remote controller (no model marking) supplied with the Air 2s has 4 antennas according to the user manual. According to pictures it is the RC-N1.

Last edited:
If the RC-N1 refers to the model number then all will be the same and look exactly alike. I'm unclear on why you would expect 2 identical controllers to be different.

If the RC-N1 refers to the model number then all will be the same and look exactly alike. I'm unclear on why you would expect 2 identical controllers to be different.
My controller for my old Air 2 looked identical but only had 2 antennas. I get the feeling I'm confusing this with the Air2s having two extra antennas in the craft itself?

Last edited:
Does the user manual for your Air 2 actually state that the controller has 2 antennas? The manual for the Air 2s controller states 4 antennas.

The Air 2s user manual states very specifically "built into the controller are four antennas...." There of number of antennas in the Air 2s itself.

Clarified issue with DJI Support. Seems that there is no difference between the RCN1 that came with the Air2S and the RCN1 that came with the Mavic 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-082851_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220903-082851_Chrome.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220903-083104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220903-083104_Chrome.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 9
There are 2 versions of the Air2S manual. One is V1.0 2021.06 and the other is the V1.0 2021.04.

The V1.0 2021.04 says: "DJI Air 2S comes equipped with the DJI RC-N1 remote controller which boasts four built-in antennas and DJI’s long-range transmission O3 (OCUSYNCTM 3.0) technology, offering a maximum transmission range of 7.5 mi (12 km) and video quality of up to 1080p from the aircraft to the DJI Fly app on a mobile device."

The V1.0 2021.06 says: "Video Transmission: DJI Air 2S boasts four built-in antennas and DJI’s long-range transmission O3 (OCUSYNCTM 3.0) technology, offering a maximum transmission range of 12 km and video quality of up to 1080p from the aircraft to the DJI Fly app on a mobile device."
It is silent as to how many antennas there are on the remote controller in this version.

The Revision Log on page 2 says: "v1.0
1. Added flight altitude information for RTH (P15).
2. Optimized descriptions in Profile section (P6).
3. Fixed some minor issues."

OK, I downloaded the .06 version of the manual and compared to my .04 version printed in January 2022. There are significant technical changes not really noted in the release notes. Release notes states "2. Optimized [strange wording for 'we fixed our mistakes'] descriptions in Profile section (P6)."
In .06 the Product Profile page has been revamped and expanded to include a Feature Highlights section. The controller model number RC-N1 in version .04 has been completely removed from the .06 version anywhere. Where O3 was stated in .04 for the RC, .06 specifically states 02 for the controller. Furthermore, in the the specs section at the end .04 does not give details for the controller whereas .06 has an 02 line for the un-named controller.
Version 06 specifically states 4 antennas for the Air 2s; that detail is omitted from version 04.
Why the differences? One can only guess. My guess is a combination of various factors including lack of communication details between technical departments and writing departments, language issues, and out of contact with users.

Reactions: frcaloy
From the data that we have, we know that the remote controller transmission system is 02 and the video trasmission system depends on the Aircraft. The controller is slaved to the Aircraft.

All RCN1 controllers are compatible either with the Air2 or the Air2S. The RCN1 that came with my Air2 will work with my Air2S in Ocusync 03 for Video.

When the controller is bound to the Air2S, Mavic3 and M3P, it works with 03 for Video but 02 for remote controller transmission system. With the Air2 and Mini 2, it's 02 for Video.

There are 4 antennas in the Air2S which means 4 antennas in the aircraft.

The maximum transmission range is greater than the maximum video transmission range. The remote controller range in the Air2 and Mini 2 can probably go beyond 10 km but is useless without video feedback, which is limited to 10 km.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929