DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any help available for probably a stupid question please.

warpfactor55

Reactions
I am slightly embarrassed to ask this question but I am a newbie who, after deliberating (and researching) for at least 12 months) I am now about to buy my first drone, a Mavic2 Zoom. I am a Windows man, have been since the late 80s. I do not use a smart ‘phone and so I bought an Apple mini-iPad4. That’s when the trouble starts ! I innocently decided to download an app from the app-store, (nothing to do with a drone) which I know is free, I am even told at the beginning of the process that it’s free. But Apple still wants to know the details of the payment routine (credit card info. PayPal info. Etc.), even a telephone no. And so my question is : How do I acquire the software for the Zoom ? (Go4 ?) If I have to get that from the app store then I will have to give the details asked, or can it be downloaded from the DJI site ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if asking for private details when they aren't required is part of Apple’s mantra then I don’t think much of it. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if asking for private details when they aren't required is part of Apple’s mantra then I don’t think much of it. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
You don't have to provide a payment method, but you do have to provide some details as to who you are. One reason they do this is to make it more difficult for children to download inappropriate content without their parents' knowledge. It also connects your app downloads, whether they're free or not, to your account so that they can easily be redownloaded if your iPad Mini is lost, stolen or just replaced.

Your account also allows you to login to the device to wipe any personal information should it be lost or stolen.

Thanks to both of you, that was very helpful. I have now downloaded the free app that I was initially trying to acquire. I presume that it will be the same procedure with the Go4 app. Could you confirm that this is what is needed to control a M2Zoom from my iPad please ?

You are really going to confuse (or amuse) people who see you flying a state of the art M2Z with an iPad Mini 4 and then pull out a flip phone to make a call!

But I feel your pain. I’ve been an iPhone user since 2007, had multiple iPads, and now use a Smart Controller that uses the Android operating system, and I don’t know how to do ANYTHING!

You are really going to confuse (or amuse) people who see you flying a state of the art M2Z with an iPad Mini 4 and then pull out a flip phone to make a call!

But I feel your pain. I’ve been an iPhone user since 2007, had multiple iPads, and now use a Smart Controller that uses the Android operating system, and I don’t know how to do ANYTHING!
Flip 'phone ??? My 'phone is steam driven. I make calls with it and I send about 2 texts/year and that's only if I can find a small stick out of the hedge to work the keys because my fingers are, after a lifetime of hard farm work, shall we say, a bit on the big side. ?

Haha

See the iPad mini as kind of a perfect device for „your a little bigger fingers”.
Maybe .... maybe ... you even find out some other advantages of it :)

Unfortunately you won’t be able to do normal phone calls with it. Also , don’t try to fold it.

Haha

See the iPad mini as kind of a perfect device for „your a little bigger fingers”.
Maybe .... maybe ... you even find out some other advantages of it :)

Unfortunately you won’t be able to do normal phone calls with it. Also , don’t try to fold it.
I only bought a wi-fi mini, not a cellular so no chance of being tempted to use it as a 'phone. I just don't get on with them. I periodically have a try with Wife's normal iPad but everything is so small. I have a big screened desktop in my office, with a keyboard, and a mouse. It's what I've grown up with since 1985 when I started working at the DOS prompt on a dual 1.44k floppy machine. No Windows, no broadband, but I did have dial-up and with British Telecom's Gold system and with a piece of software called Micromail I could send emails. No graphics of course, and it took about a minute to send a page of A4 text. You've all been spoilt, that's the problem ! :) :D

Not so fast. I got my first DOS machine in ‘83, dual floppies and 256k (yes, youngsters, “k” is what I meant to type) of RAM. (I can’t remember the floppy size but it was before the 1.44 floppies came out.) But I’m not still using it 26 years later?!

Reactions: warpfactor55
Not so fast. I got my first DOS machine in ‘83, dual floppies and 256k (yes, youngsters, “k” is what I meant to type) of RAM. (I can’t remember the floppy size but it was before the 1.44 floppies came out.) But I’m not still using it 26 years later?!
Probably 5 1/4 inch 512k floppy, which really were floppy. 1.44k were rigid jobbies. I bought my dual 1.44 floppy machine for the accounts. Progs on drive A: (LH side) and data on drive B: (RH side). Have just done my final accounts, having closed the farming business, using the same software after 34 years. Never let me down once in all that time. Pity the farm machinery wasn't as reliable.

Probably 5 1/4 inch 512k floppy, which really were floppy. 1.44k were rigid jobbies. I bought my dual 1.44 floppy machine for the accounts. Progs on drive A: (LH side) and data on drive B: (RH side). Have just done my final accounts, having closed the farming business, using the same software after 34 years. Never let me down once in all that time. Pity the farm machinery wasn't as reliable.
Just checked - the original Compaq had two 360K drives. One would hold the system software, and the other your application and its data. Now that would hold one low-res phone photo!

Hey, be careful talking abut Dos and floppies you are stepping on my toes. I fly a MP with a Mini 4 and I also have a flip phone. 5 years later, 2 washing machine cycles too many drops to count and it still works perfect! Try that with your Smart Phone. My Grand Daughter says if I live long enough I may make it to the -----20TH Century! And this forum is as close as I get to Social Media.

I be happy---Have Fun
thxs
slkfis

My first pc was a green screen Apricot with the dual 1.44k floppy drives as mentioned. Apricot were a company based in Birmingham U.K. and they were in direct competition with IBM and their PC. But it was expensive. I bought the pc and an Epson dot matrix printer for about £1800 .00 GBP. The printer was a bit like a typwriter, no graphics, no colour, but I still use an Epson FX850 DM printer to print out my business accounts every year and am still using the same software as then. A fully grown double entry balance brought forward system with Nominal, Sales & Purchase ledgers and a transaction file, all of which can be accessed using a database program from the same software house. The accounts program was written in P-System Pascal and hosted under DOS. But then we got modern, I bought an Apricot 286-30. A 286 chip with a 30Mb hard drive. Still have that, still a green screen.

In the meantime Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad) brought out his PC1512. Big 5.25" floppies, diabolical B/W screen but with a hard drive for about £600.00 GBP. Soon afterwards he introduced his PC1640 with bigger HDD but Colour screen ! His stuff was cheap and nasty but it worked.

If we're talking 'phones my first, in 1991, was the Motorola 8800X brick. I distinctly remember walking across The Square in my county town of Warwick talking into it and people around me stared at me and I felt a bit stupid, holding a black box to my ear and seemingly talking to myself. o_O

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure