DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any ideas for flying in bright sunlight?

jazar

Reactions
I have had a couple of great flying opportunities in the middle of a bright sunny day. The problem is I can barley see the screen on my Iphone 6 Plus in the bright sun. Even with the phone display on full brightness, in the middle of they day I can't see the screen very well. I don't fell comfortable flying when I can't see the FPV, and other data on the phone screen. I just bought a hood for the controller. It helps but I still have to find a shady place to fly from. So far my best solution is to fly early morning or late afternoon. Any suggestions?

We all have the same problem. Next gen Crystal Sky monitors will supposedly be much brighter, but still may not be bright enough to see under direct sunlight. The obvious things to do include using a sun visor or even a more enclosed shield like the Hoodman, and failing that operating from the shade.

Personally, I prefer to fly early am or near sunset when this is not so much a problem. And the bonus is that landscapes are much more interesting photographically at those times

While hoods can work they are kind of goofy looking and another thing to carry and set up.
As you mentioned the best way is to find or create shade, you can sit in a vehicle too, it makes little difference to range.
Even with a hood your brightly lit face can be reflected :p

I got the controller hood from DJI, which helped al lot, but then got a matte screen protector for my Mini4 and that did the trick. Also if you are trying to make photos or videos in bright sun you may want to consider ND filters. I do most of my flying in the evening because the light is softer and also the wind is calmer, so don't use the filters then, but the few times I flew during the day, I used the filters.

Good solutions come with a price..
-Crystalsky (Portable, pricey, DJI dedicated so worthless for other stuff and not sure if it works well in full sun)
-DJI goggles (Bulky, rest of the above but seems great experience and super FPV)
-Epson BT-300 (Portable, pricey, great quality image though it HAS to be inferior compared to DJI goggles, android platform,The only thing I will use until BT-400 arrives..) No more probems with sun..ever.

Another early AM pilot here. The light is fantastic during the hour before sunrise and the hour after sunset -- the "golden hours". However, even during the golden hours the sky will still be bright enough to make viewing a bit difficult.

My setup for flying includes a portable director's chair and the Versa-Brella attached to the back of it. This arrangement works well for me and, since I'm already schlepping a chair to my spot, the Versa-Brella is not that much more to carry.

Theo

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.05.22 AM.png

I have had a couple of great flying opportunities in the middle of a bright sunny day. The problem is I can barley see the screen on my Iphone 6 Plus in the bright sun. Even with the phone display on full brightness, in the middle of they day I can't see the screen very well. I don't fell comfortable flying when I can't see the FPV, and other data on the phone screen. I just bought a hood for the controller. It helps but I still have to find a shady place to fly from. So far my best solution is to fly early morning or late afternoon. Any suggestions?

I have a canvas chair with a canopy. The whole thing folds up in a nice package with straps that allow me to carry it on my back. I have all of my Mavic stuff in a hard waterproof case, which I can carry at the same time too.

Also from Readers.com, I purchased their "Skipper" bifocal sunglasses. The bottom section has my close up prescription (nearly clear). The upper are sunglass with no prescription. Came with a nice case that I have Velcroed to my Mavic case. All for about 25 Bucks. My folding helipad is also Velcroed to the carry case.

PS- My Remote device is an iPad Mini 4. It has one of the brightest screens I have seen.

DJI_0151.JPG IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5872.JPG
As low on the ISO setting as you can go. Prolly gonna be 100.
High noon footage is never as good as morning or afternoon for best colors. Examples...... taken on full auto

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom