DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any interference from high voltage lines?

I will say that on some days there is an audible "snapping" noise that comes from the power lines. I have never flown on a day that was happening. I once called the electric company thinking that the noise indicated a problem, and they said it is not unusual when the humidity is high and nothing to worry about. But I imagine the snapping might indicate some some RF noise.
If that noise comes from any kind electric discharge, that creates some kind pulse of RFI.
Which certainly never helps in controlling drone.

And besides at least some level magnetic field from current, ferrous metals themselves cause disturbances in Earth's magnetic field, so big steel structures are extra risk factor.
(that magnetic anomaly is one way to find submerged submarines from air)

So while it isn't necessarily to automatically stay far way, it's best to have respect for power lines.
Meaning instead of directly flying in middle of them at close proximity/close above, start from some distance away and observe if there are any issues/symptoms

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
August 17, 2018 101437 AM EDT.png

* Staged photo. No drones or powerlines were harmed.

Generally flying near lines will not be a problem. The aircraft is flying in the air, is not grounded, thus random bolts of energy are going to leap from the wires and vaporize your drone.

That being said, yes in the US power lines operate at either 60 Hz or DC. Neither of which will adversely affect RC signals. HOWEVER when Arcing or Corona occurs... all bets are off. Arcing induces RF currents into the lines which can travel for miles. When looking with a spectrum analyzer the RF energy generally peaks at 130 Mhz (Ironically in the aeronautical band) but can have
harmonics extending into the Gigahertz range where RC operates.

The other posters recommend staying 50' or more from the lines... I would agree with this...and add... avoid being around HV lines during or after a rainstorm.

Hope this helps. Fly safe and sane.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Well said. Some of these posts are rather ridiculous. There is no hard and fast, absolute when dealing with electrical lines, especially outside of a controlled environment...like with loose connectors, humidity, breaking down insulators and a myriad of other possibilities. We have engineers that are dumbfounded on a regular basis because their calculations produced one outcome while reality said, 'uhh-uh'. I have and always said that it is called electrical theory for as reason; although it is predictable, electricity can and does as it wishes.

Thanks to all who helped me with this - I was flying a couple days ago around hi voltage lines, stayed 50' away but was able to fly above and below them and had no problems. Thanks again to the physics experts.

One downside to flying near the really high voltage lines is that they do have arcing due to ionization. So there can be stronger voltage fields around them, and they can cause broadband EM interference. You've probably heard power lines "buzzing" ... this is the AC arcing taking place. DC lines don't buzz, but have the same effect, but a DC field.

Ionization doesn't really require what is typically considered a conducting path - the drone need not be connected to "ground" for it to be involved. Ionization only requires a voltage differential and an ion carrier, like air.

Here's an article that describes the effect:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929