DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any interference from high voltage lines?

johnweim

Reactions
Spending the winter in Mesa AZ, beautiful opportunities for scenic shots around the mountains and canyons but checked out places on road to Tortilla Flat and have concerns.
There are high voltage lines all over the place on this road. Aside from the potential of running into the lines, I am concerned about losing connections from the high voltage interference. Has anyone noticed any problems from flying near or around these type of power lines? Don't think I want to run an experiment to see if there is interference.

I have launched my Mini 2 around hundred feet from a high voltage line, and flown over it, crossing perhaps 100 feed above. I have not tried flying along the lines, nor have I tried getting any closer. There was no apparent interference.

I will say that on some days there is an audible "snapping" noise that comes from the power lines. I have never flown on a day that was happening. I once called the electric company thinking that the noise indicated a problem, and they said it is not unusual when the humidity is high and nothing to worry about. But I imagine the snapping might indicate some some RF noise.

There is no credible mechanism for interference from high-voltage conductors. They don't produce much of a magnetic field (because the current is very low) and at 60 Hz the RF emissions are nowhere near frequencies that matter.

I have tested various aircraft flying very close to 69 kV lines carrying nominal currents and, as expected, there is no detectable effect. As long as you don't hit a conductor, of course.

There is no credible mechanism for interference from high-voltage conductors. They don't produce much of a magnetic field (because the current is very low) and at 60 Hz the RF emissions are nowhere near frequencies that matter.

I have tested various aircraft flying very close to 69 kV lines carrying nominal currents and, as expected, there is no detectable effect. As long as you don't hit a conductor, of course.
Thank you for your help, maybe I'll experiment with gradually approaching the lines.

Current through High Tension lines range from 700 amps up to 4000 amps, and they do produce an EMF field which could interfere with the compass. As current moves through a power line, it creates a magnetic field called an electromagnetic field. The strength of the EMF is proportional to the amount of electrical current passing through the power line, and decreases as you move farther away.

As always, distance is your friend. Be safe.

Cheers!

Current through High Tension lines range from 700 amps up to 4000 amps, and they do produce an EMF field which could interfere with the compass. As current moves through a power line, it creates a magnetic field called an electromagnetic field. The strength of the EMF is proportional to the amount of electrical current passing through the power line, and decreases as you move farther away.

As always, distance is your friend. Be safe.

Cheers!
You looked up the numbers for very large cross-country transmission lines. Those lines, at least the HVDC variety, could cause compass interference because the steady magnetic field strength at working loads is comparable to the earth's magnetic field strength once you get within 50 meters or so. But there are none of those in the location in question. AC distribution lines are not a problem.

By the way, magnetic fields and electromagnetic fields are not the same.

You looked up the numbers for very large cross-country transmission lines. Those lines, at least the HVDC variety, could cause compass interference because the steady magnetic field strength at working loads is comparable to the earth's magnetic field strength once you get within 50 meters or so. But there are none of those in the location in question. AC distribution lines are not a problem.

So AC does not have EMF? Interesting...

"magnetic fields and electromagnetic fields are not the same."

All magnetic fields are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are one and the same.

If a wire has a Current and Voltage, it produces EMF and Radiation. It is just a matter of strength.

Cheers!

No - it produces a low-frequency alternating magnetic field.

All magnetic fields are part of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are one and the same.
They are not one and the same and I'm afraid that your understanding of physics is lacking. Electromagnetic waves comprise propagating, superposed, orthogonal, oscillating electric and magnetic fields. A magnetic field, such as the earth's, is not a propagating wave - it's a static field.

I'm interested in your comment about there aren't any of the HVDC lines in that area - where did you obtain that information? The area I was interested in is hwy 88 between Apache Junction and Tortilla Flat. I believe the lines there are originating from the hydroelectric generation of the dams on the Salt river. If what you said is a fact then I should have no problem with disturbance of the compass? (of course staying some reasonable distance away)

If a wire has a Current and Voltage, it produces EMF and Radiation. It is just a matter of strength.

Cheers!
When you engage in a fact debate with SAR 104,abandon all hope😃

I'm interested in your comment about there aren't any of the HVDC lines in that area - where did you obtain that information? The area I was interested in is hwy 88 between Apache Junction and Tortilla Flat. I believe the lines there are originating from the hydroelectric generation of the dams on the Salt river. If what you said is a fact then I should have no problem with disturbance of the compass? (of course staying some reasonable distance away)
I checked a couple of things - firstly the towers are not large enough in that area, but secondly there are a number of lists of HVDC installations in the US, and none appear to be down there.

I checked a couple of things - firstly the towers are not large enough in that area, but secondly there are a number of lists of HVDC installations in the US, and none appear to be down there.
Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Reactions: sar104
There are various fields. Magnetic, and electrical. Both can and do coexist. Electrical fields are what cause the hair on your head to stand up just before the lightning strike kills you. The magnetic field that happens as you are struck is what blows up your watch to let the coroner know when you died.

There are various fields. Magnetic, and electrical. Both can and do coexist. Electrical fields are what cause the hair on your head to stand up just before the lightning strike kills you. The magnetic field that happens as you are struck is what blows up your watch to let the coroner know when you died.

Well yes, but the discussion is specifically about compass interference, which is caused by magnetic fields. Not electric fields, and not propagating electromagnetic waves. I never realized that these concepts caused such confusion.

Well yes, but the discussion is specifically about compass interference, which is caused by magnetic fields. Not electric fields, and not propagating electromagnetic waves. I never realized that these concepts caused such confusion.
Confusion over what electro means when referring to magnetic fields seems to be the main issue above: electric vs electromagnetic fields and the simpler magnetic field. Two dimensional thinking in a four dimensional world.

ps: and that tidbit about waves versus fields ... lol. I wish I could remember half of what I use to know about wave propagation modes in various media - including free space - and how polarization changes over distance.

But people get confused over things like reactance vs impedance vs resistance, too.

Guys, how about just STAY AWAY FROM POWER LINES. I've seen the FPV videos and they may look cool, but it's never a good idea. Try and stay 50' away. It's easy to create an accident...and depending on what the voltage, Wye or Delta, the distance etc. there ARE fields corona etc. I've seen this discussion here before. If you cause an outage, the cost of a new drone will be the least of your worries. In some states especially they will enforce NERC-CIP regulations which can include Homeland Security issues. I have had an issue with my M2pro while flying between 345kV, 230kV transmission lines and 4800V distribution lines where there was previously no issue in the entire area until I got within 30'. It just doesn't make sense to chance it. I have 25 years in the industry and have up to 46kV in my gloves as well as hot sticking 115kV lines. There is a reason it's called electrical theory...electricity usually behaves as expected, however it can do whatever it wants at any time. Much better safe than sorry.

Reactions: db4476
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan