DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any new information about taking a drone to Ecuador, Peru, Chile?

spwalker

Reactions
Hi, all.

I have read, and am grateful to the authors for, several posts about taking drones into three South American countries, and have also referred to the useful-looking Drone Traveller site. And now I'm really confused and I wonder if anyone can give definitive information.

For example, I read that Ecuador levies import duty on drones, based on their value. But also I read that people have taken a drone in without any problem. I read that import duty is raised on anything costing more than $500, and I will also be taking camera equipment to the value of a couple of thousand pounds; so will I be penalised for this as well?

Ecuador, Peru, Chile: can anyone give me advice or links to definitive material, please? I'll be taking a Mavic for recreational, not commercial, use.

Many thanks,

Steve

Also interested in the same topic, will be in the same countries.

If one needs to pay import tax can you get the money back when you leave the country (like Peru)? Been to Peru in sept and the process was super smooth, now bear in mind I left the country on the same entry point, next time will not be the case, so I have no idea how it’ll work...

Cheers,
Dorin

Hi, all.

I have read, and am grateful to the authors for, several posts about taking drones into three South American countries, and have also referred to the useful-looking Drone Traveller site. And now I'm really confused and I wonder if anyone can give definitive information.

For example, I read that Ecuador levies import duty on drones, based on their value. But also I read that people have taken a drone in without any problem. I read that import duty is raised on anything costing more than $500, and I will also be taking camera equipment to the value of a couple of thousand pounds; so will I be penalised for this as well?

Ecuador, Peru, Chile: can anyone give me advice or links to definitive material, please? I'll be taking a Mavic for recreational, not commercial, use.

Many thanks,

Steve
Hello, I'm in the same boat now. Leaving for Ecuador next week and can't find current information on import fees. Did you ever learn anything or find a resource for current information. (And, did you enjoy your trip (and take your mavic?
Thanks!
Rod

Also interested in the same topic, will be in the same countries.

If one needs to pay import tax can you get the money back when you leave the country (like Peru)? Been to Peru in sept and the process was super smooth, now bear in mind I left the country on the same entry point, next time will not be the case, so I have no idea how it’ll work...

Cheers,
Dorin
Hello, Did you find and information on this, or any resource for getting current information. I'm leaving for Ecuador next week and would hate to get there and find out I could have brought the Mavic without paying any fees.

Thank!
Rod

Hello, I'm in the same boat now. Leaving for Ecuador next week and can't find current information on import fees. Did you ever learn anything or find a resource for current information. (And, did you enjoy your trip (and take your mavic?
Thanks!
Rod

I haven't taken my trip yet. I've decided against taking a drone as I feel that's too high a likelihood of having problems at any one of the 5 border crossings on my itinerary.

As far as Ecuador is concerned, there is a likelihood that you will have to pay some kind of import fee if (a) the customs officer spots your drone and (b) decides that it's worth over $500. There are instances where people have taken a Mavic in undetected, so you might want to take those odds on.

Personally, since I understand that Peru rules say you have to have a parachute on your drone, I'm just not prepared to take the risk.

I haven't taken my trip yet. I've decided against taking a drone as I feel that's too high a likelihood of having problems at any one of the 5 border crossings on my itinerary.

As far as Ecuador is concerned, there is a likelihood that you will have to pay some kind of import fee if (a) the customs officer spots your drone and (b) decides that it's worth over $500. There are instances where people have taken a Mavic in undetected, so you might want to take those odds on.

Personally, since I understand that Peru rules say you have to have a parachute on your drone, I'm just not prepared to take the risk.

Thanks for the reply and I hope you have a great trip. I'm considering taking a flamewheel kit to get some nice still photographs. There is no gimbal so no video. And I'm wondering where all the Galapagos drone videos come from? Mostly amature so I know they didn't pass the permit process! Rod

I can confirm that the current rules in Ecuador involve levying an import tax on any drone valued over $500. The import tax is about 40% of market value. People do bring in drones all the time without any problems as long as they are the folding type that don't have the telltale "Phantom" shape. under the X-ray.

All other drone rules issued by the DAC (Civil Aviation Authority) are basically the same as the FAA rules in the US (400 ft., etc.)

If you are just visiting, I agree that is kind of a hassle to have to worry about it. Think of what a pain it is for us here in Ecuador when we need to send something in on warranty!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio