DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any preference or need for tool kits?

CobraDriver

Reactions
So being new to all this I did fly a Hirobo Shuttle back in the day and my tool set was substantial for a gas operated helo. Is that the same way of life with these MA2's?

Is there some preferred kit for our gear or what?

Side Note: I searched Toolkit and all I get is police stuff LOL

So being new to all this I did fly a Hirobo Shuttle back in the day and my tool set was substantial for a gas operated helo. Is that the same way of life with these MA2's?

Is there some preferred kit for our gear or what?

Side Note: I searched Toolkit and all I get is police stuff LOL
Really depends on what you need a toolkit for. For everyday operation of DJI drones, there are no tools needed. There is no regular maintenance or overhauls necessary that would require any tools.

If you have mechanical issues/crash damage that you want to repair yourself then you would need basic tools for working on small electronics. My tools for laptops and cell phones are more than enough for disassembling and fixing DJI products. You would in many cases also require a soldering station since the motors are soldered to the ESC.

if you type in tools for DJI drones then you should see several on sale they contain all the different head types and sizes for all the DJI drones they are handy,for checking that no fixings have worked loose from vibration during flight most of the fixings that go into metal threads have some form of threadlock on them and if you do have to ever disassemble them because of an issue always apply some fresh threadlock when you reassemble them ,just be careful with the screws that go into plastic dont over tighten them as you could strip the thread in the process

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Last edited by a moderator:
A must if you do any repair of any kind, not necessarily on really small fly toys.

I just finished replacing (and testing) both left arms and motors. To fully disassemble an MA2 (which is required if you just want to replace the arms) you'll need: Torx T5, 1.5 and 1.0 mm allen bits (or a T6 bit), J0,J00 phillps, plastic pry tools, tweezers, a soldering station and moderate soldering skill.

Harbor Fright [sic] to the rescue.
"Torx Tamperproof Hex Key set" sku# 97469 or 94691
Folds and fits nicely in your case but is a pita to remove and replace the 40 or so screws with.

"Precision Screwdriver set" 97517 All the bits you need and a crappy pair of tweezers.

But my fav is was the "19-In-1 Compact Cordless Screwdriver Set'" sku 56757
It's a tiny cordless screw driver kit with a perfectly placed led and all the right bits. Makes disassembly WAAAAAY easier. At ~$12 It's twice the price of the screwdriver set. But its $12 bucks!

Alas, after completing the repair, I found the driver is too fat for about 1/2 of the screws (could'nt fit in the space available). Still worked great where it fit. But that's alright, it'll work great on my reels. The folding Torx Tamperproof Hex Key set proved indispensable and will always be in MA2 case.

The folding sets bits work great as-is, but I had to file the tip of the screwdriver kits T6 bit as its replacing the 1.5 mm allen bit. A little off the tip with a file and it's a perfect fit. All that said, Harbor Freight has a fairly well deserved reputation for having crap tools so you don't want to go into the repair business with these tools, but they will most definitely take care of yours. The motors and led's require soldering the leads, so you'll still need a soldering station (or at least an iron). But DJI has REALLY laid the connections out nicely for easy access.

Mostly you want this page:

DJI Mavic Air 2 Teardown: What’s inside?

EXCELLENT very DETAILED tear down and pics of an MA2

There's also very good vid from ifixit.com mentioned above (even has an xray!)

(and yep, it flys great after the repair from the auto RTH fight with an Oak.)

Last edited:
Not a preference, a must.
I second this. I have used this tool kit for so many of the small electronic items in my life. Multiple Copter/RC mods and repairs, and multiple batteries in family and friend's cell phones, and lots of other stuff. It has paid for itself many times over for sure. The tools in this kit can take stuff apart that 'they' do not want you to take apart. 'They' would rather you simply buy a whole new 'whatever', when all it really needs is to have a tiny ribbon cable reset...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone