DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any sub-zero (F) flights?

Prismatic

Reactions
If anybody has flown in these sub-zero days, please do post some pix/vids! Some of the Lake Michigan shots I've seen in the media look to have been done by drones.

I suppose if you taped a hand-warmer pack to the battery, started the drone inside a warm car and let the battery warm up before launch, you might get a flight. Maybe. I'd probably try (I'm not in the cold zone), but not sure I'd take her out over the Lake!

Captain Drone tried to freeze an anafi.
It was not sub zero but close (3°F) and looks like if you keep you battery warm it will fly

It has been -30s here for 2 weeks finally broke yesterday, so it could snow :(

Going to get cold again Monday night, so Tuesday I'll try to get a flight in if it's not to windy and get the temps for you. It's a balmy -14C/5.5F right now lol. Heading out soon to get a short video for my sister in-law for an art project I'll get the temps today as well.
Cheers

So I flew a couple of batteries out on Lake Superior today and and recorded the battery temps for everybody to see.

Battery 1:
Outside temp -13C/8.6F
Battery at just before takeoff 22.8C/73F
Battery at half 22.3C/72.1F
Battery just before landing 22.3C/72.1F

Battery 2:
Outside temp -14C/6.8F
Battery at just before takeoff 26.7C/80F
Battery at half 21.7C/71F
Battery just before landing 21.4C/70.5F

I flew both batteries down to about 30%, flight #1 lasted 21:16 flight #2 lasted 21:27. The second battery was much warmer because i left it near the defrost in the car.

It is going to be ooling down again in a couple of days after the winter storm Sunday night into Monday. I will try similar flights when it is in the -20s celcius.

Cheers

DJI_0111.JPG

So I flew a couple of batteries out on Lake Superior today and and recorded the battery temps for everybody to see.

Battery 1:
Outside temp -13C/8.6F
Battery at just before takeoff 22.8C/73F
Battery at half 22.3C/72.1F
Battery just before landing 22.3C/72.1F

Battery 2:
Outside temp -14C/6.8F
Battery at just before takeoff 26.7C/80F
Battery at half 21.7C/71F
Battery just before landing 21.4C/70.5F

I flew both batteries down to about 30%, flight #1 lasted 21:16 flight #2 lasted 21:27. The second battery was much warmer because i left it near the defrost in the car.

It is going to be ooling down again in a couple of days after the winter storm Sunday night into Monday. I will try similar flights when it is in the -20s celcius.

Cheers

View attachment 61571

Fantastic! Thank you for the report.

What this means to me, is that the most vulnerable part of the drone, the battery, when subjected to +7°f - +9°f temperatures during flight, will still maintain an acceptable temperature.

Your test showed the battery starting at 73 and 80°f which I think is critical. Starting out at room temperature might be the key to cold weather flight. From what you have displayed and from what I have found is that preheating the battery to even just room temperature will keep the battery warm enough, even in sub freezing temperatures, to function normally.

To me, this is a very important finding, since much of the northern hemisphere is below freezing.

If a pilot wants to try and see what happens, try just what was done here. Start with the battery at least room temperature, then hover for at least one battery to make sure that no adverse affects will be evident. Then take baby steps, and see if the cold affects your drone.

Thanks again to @Tbredhed for the report.

Last edited:
I have flown several flights with the Mavic Pro in -20F Wind Chill. Keep battery protected and warm until ready to start. After launching, hover about 2' AGL for a couple of minutes for it to warm up. All of my flights were in excess of 20 minutes. After you land use a zip lock bag or small garbage bag, put your UAV in it and squeeze the air out and seal it until it warms up in the vehicle. This will keep the UAV from building condensation from the air in the vehicle. If there is mist, fog, wet snow in the air you will want to check your props periodically for icing, or you could have unwanted results. I have heard of others that put a film of anti-freeze on the props to prevent icing. I have not tried this as I have not flown in moist conditions while in freezing temperatures.

Reactions: Former Member
I have flown several flights with the Mavic Pro in -20F Wind Chill. Keep battery protected and warm until ready to start. After launching, hover about 2' AGL for a couple of minutes for it to warm up. All of my flights were in excess of 20 minutes. After you land use a zip lock bag or small garbage bag, put your UAV in it and squeeze the air out and seal it until it warms up in the vehicle. This will keep the UAV from building condensation from the air in the vehicle. If there is mist, fog, wet snow in the air you will want to check your props periodically for icing, or you could have unwanted results. I have heard of others that put a film of anti-freeze on the props to prevent icing. I have not tried this as I have not flown in moist conditions while in freezing temperatures.

Do you remember what your battery temps were? Im just wondering if the temps drop that low, will that battery also?

So part 2 of this test colder this morning.

Outside temp -27C/-16.6F
Battery at just before takeoff 27.3C/81.1F
Battery at half. 18.8C/65.8F
Battery just before landing. 21.4C/70.5F

Same as other test I flew a bit over 21 minutes and landed at about 30%.

Hopefully this helps anybody worried about flying in cold temperatures.

@Thunderdrones it's supposed to be -34c/-29f here Saturday and could run one more if you're wanting to see results from that.

Cheers

So part 2 of this test colder this morning.

Outside temp -27C/-16.6F
Battery at just before takeoff 27.3C/81.1F
Battery at half. 18.8C/65.8F
Battery just before landing. 21.4C/70.5F

Same as other test I flew a bit over 21 minutes and landed at about 30%.

Hopefully this helps anybody worried about flying in cold temperatures.

@Thunderdrones it's supposed to be -34c/-29f here Saturday and could run one more if you're wanting to see results from that.

Cheers

Thank you so much for doing this test!

I know that alot of pilots in the colder climates are going through withdrawal, so the test proves, at least in your case and my case, that although DJI recommends flying at above freezing ambient temperatures, a Mavic can survive and complete a full battery in below zero conditions.

The great news is that even in sub-zero temperatures, the heat generated by the Mavics internal electronics during flight will keep the battery at a nice, warm temperature of 19c - 27c (66f - 81f). That is well within the guidelines of what DJI says the battery operating temp should be.

Everyone, please bear in mind that if you try this as an owner, if something goes awry in your flight, and DJI can prove that you were flying in below freezing temps, they might void your warranty claim. Try this at your own risk, and be very mindful of your Mavics battery level and flight attitude. We are very experienced pilots, so we know what to expect and how to react if something goes wrong.

Reactions: Prismatic
You only need to consider the actual temperature when flying other than the wind being to strong to fly in it has no affect on the equipment.

Cheers

I really want to get out and do some flying, but it is too cold up here, temps at -27C with windchill -35C. Way too cold on me to go out and try some.
Hopefully sometime this weekend i will be able to get out.

I really want to get out and do some flying, but it is too cold up here, temps at -27C with windchill -35C. Way too cold on me to go out and try some.
Hopefully sometime this weekend i will be able to get out.
Whenever it's that cold I fly from my truck or inside my house or camp depending where I am.

We haven’t had super cold temps this year but last year I flew my Air in -17.

Insane Cold Temperature test of the DJI Mavic Air at Portage Glacier Alaska

I would start my battery was around 15c. It would get up to 25c but if I flew fast the temp would drop back down so I’d have to slow down a bit.

Temp was around 21c when I landed.

I’ve flown my mavic pro (1st gen) in as cold as -40f without problems. I don’t remember battery temps off hand but I always start them room temp (or inside my jacket temp if I’m hiking) hover the drone to get the battery up to 20c or so. From there the pro never had an issue and would stay around 21-22c. If it was closer to zero it would get up to 25-27c.

I noticed if i was flying forward fast for any length of time the battery temps would start to go down from the extra cooling. Slowing down but still going forward temps would come back up. It’s very important to keep the temps above 20c to keep the voltage from dropping suddenly and drastically.

I posted this in the other thread.......I was standing in the garage and it was still very cold I could not go any longer than this..

Finally got a test in, even though I froze my finger tips off.

Outside temperature (not incl wind chill): -20.2 F
Battery temp before flight: 79.7
Battery temp after 5 minutes of flight: 74.2 F
Battery temp after flight: 76.1

I attached the pic of battery temps from Airdata UAV

Now I have to warm up and have a shot of Fireball,,,,

Reactions: JDawg
What is the best way to warm up the drone indoors when done flying? Does the plastic bag trick really work?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin