DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any thoughts on the HDR mode on the Air 2?

VegardBerland

Reactions
I´ve made a video with a short test on the HDR mode on the Air 2. My conclusion is that it does a good job in getting details in the shadows and highlights, but maybe look a bit noisy and over-saturated. Any other thoughts and experiences on the HDR mode?

I think it does great for what it is. I use it a lot. Once the conversation goes to "edit in post" all bets are off. With the right tools and knowledge you can do anything in post. CGI is all work done in post, sky is the limit.

Beautiful video by the way !

I've upgraded to the Mavic Air 2 and have just started to explore some of the camera video settings.
Here in Ontario, Canada the landscape for the beginning of April is still very bland with no colours, so its a great time to see how much contrast and color I can pull out of the sky and farmers fields.
I'm one to always have my settings in manual, and even with the ND16, it is very difficult to achieve the richness of the HDR settings. And I think when you have the ND filter on and set it to HDR mode, the filter will help the auto setting of HDR to adjust to a lower frame rate yes?

I do think the HDR results are very good. Sure its adding to the contrast, but what a difference without.
The bland skies show blue with white clouds, and the earth has some color and tone to it.
Having said that, it does have a somewhat over-saturated look, but even in iMovie I can adjust that with the color correction (saturation slider) to ever so slightly and take that edge of saturation down. It looks great!

While we are talking video looks here, I'm somewhat not too worried to try too hard to bring my shutter speed down to the standard everyone follows with doubling the frame rate.
Using a slightly faster shutter speed can produce a very slight strobing effect that is also very cinematic. I have personally used shutter speeds of 1/120th of a second and can confirm that the look is very cinematic – arguably more so than with slower shutter speeds, due to the slight strobing that we normally only see with motion picture film.

Reactions: joeywestside
Note that all HDR work will be limited by the dynamic range of the sensor itself. There is no way to manipulate data that was never captured.

Great video and great commentary. This is super helpful. Anyone know if going to the HRD setting affects any other elements of flight? APAS? Limiting FPS? anything else?

Thanks in advance!

I really enjoyed your video. It is infomative as well as beautiful! Loved the lighthouse shot and the rays of the sun. Excellent!! I just bought a MA2 so this information was timely for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview