DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any USB to HDMI adapters to work for a field monitor on remote controller?

AMann

Reactions
Hello, I have been interested in the least expensive way of having the ability of handing an observer a portable small field monitor to be able to watch the live downlink video from my Mavic2P as I pilot it with the stock controller. Note: this will be in the field, so we won’t have wifi or connectivity to internet and probably no cellular service for streaming it. I know I could use a more expensive option like a Crystal Sky or the new Controller, but I have a good portable field monitor for my DSLR that uses HDMI. So, are there any converters that might do i? I want to have my iPhone plugged into USB1 for control, and the monitor plugged into USB2 via the adapter for just watching the video.

Has anyone done this with the stock MP2 controller?

Last edited:
The controller does not do HDMI out on either socket f
Hello, I have been interested in the least expensive way of having the ability of handing an observer a portable small field monitor to be able to watch the live downlink video from my Mavic2P as I pilot it with the stock controller. Note: this will be in the field, so we won’t have wifi or connectivity to internet and probably no cellular service for streaming it. I know I could use a more expensive option like a Crystal Sky or the new Controller, but I have a good portable field monitor for my DSLR that uses HDMI. So, are there any converters that might do i? I want to have my iPhone plugged into USB1 for control, and the monitor plugged into USB2 via the adapter for just watching the video.

Has anyone done this with the stock MP2 controller?

Not sure that either of the usb sockets will send HDMI,

The controller does not do HDMI out on either socket f

Not sure that either of the usb sockets will send HDMI,

The standard MP2 controller has no standard HDMI output jacks, just those two USB jacks.

I don’t know what the video standard is of those jacks, or if it’s a simple fix using a adapter plug, but there are some USB to HDMI adapter boxes out there, but I think they need firmware and seem to be only Windows compatible. Are there any that would work? The controller must be outputting video that is compatible with HDMI, as the Crystal sky monitors use the USB output from the controller and can output HDMI themselves, too.

I may have to go to a Smart controller or Crystal Sky monotor to accomplish this afteralll, just wanted to save some money...

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerMav
The standard MP2 controller has no standard HDMI output jacks, just those two USB jacks.

I don’t know what the video standard is of those jacks, or if it’s a simple fix using a adapter plug, but there are some USB to HDMI adapter boxes out there, but I think they need firmware and seem to be only Windows compatible. Are there any that would work? The controller must be outputting video that is compatible with HDMI, as the Crystal sky monitors use the USB output from the controller and can output HDMI themselves, too.

I may have to go to a Smart controller or Crystal Sky monotor to accomplish this afteralll, just wanted to save some money...

No the controller outputs a digital signal which the app interprets and displays a picture as well as other telemtry etc, the crystal sky itself does the conversion to HDMI output, I’ve seen similar setups where the MP1 controller was linked to an Android tablet which fed goggles via HDMI output

No the controller outputs a digital signal which the app interprets and displays a picture as well as other telemtry etc, the crystal sky itself does the conversion to HDMI output, I’ve seen similar setups where the MP1 controller was linked to an Android tablet which fed goggles via HDMI output

So in the case of the android tablet, it did the conversion as well?

Ok, so it sounds like it would require an upgrade.

USB to HDMI will not work. The port would need to support it, or in the case of a PC/MAC, it would need drivers to allow the adapter to operate as such.

Reactions: RogerMav and AMann
Poat #20 of this thread helped me:

Streaming directly to laptop from DJI Go 4 App

You can set your phone up as a WiFi hotspot for laptop to connect to and try that post. I had about a 3s lag.

That whole thread is interesting. If savvy, you could program a raspberry pi to be a hotspot, run all the ngix stuff and send to your hdmi monitor as a project.

Reactions: AMann
If you have a Samsung device you can also just use the Smart View feature and stream to Windows 10 or to a ScreenBeam Mini2 adapter.

I should have said I’m hiking into a remote area with the thing to document cliff sites, otherwise a lot of suggestions here to stream to a laptop would have been perfect!

The Crystal Sky was a good option in my case, I just bought one and a couple extra batteries for the CS and for my HDMI field monitor so I dont have to charge them up.

I have built several “remote viewing stations” for Mavic and similar drones.

If using an iOS device we mirror the iPhone/iPad to Apple TV and make it all work with an inexpensive WiFi router in the case....no internet connectivity, but it allows the phone and Apple TV to be on the same network.

We power this off of shore power of available, or use a 12 volt inverter plugged into cigarette lighter in a vehicle.

Works real well.

I should have said I’m hiking into a remote area with the thing to document cliff sites, otherwise a lot of suggestions here to stream to a laptop would have been perfect!

The Crystal Sky was a good option in my case, I just bought one and a couple extra batteries for the CS and for my HDMI field monitor so I dont have to charge them up.
I used to have the Miracast Player app installed on my Samsung tablet and was able to use the Smart View to stream from my phone/rc controller to the tablet. It made for a really portable set up. It also did not require a wifi connection because it would create its on independent connection between the two devices. Unfortunately after the last Android update this app will not work anymore. You can still try it and maybe it will work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d