DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody else concerned about longevity of their Mavics?

Skids

Reactions
First of all I have been lucky. I have a Mavic Pro which worked fine out of the box and the only problem I have had is video being lost when using the included lightning lead which I think will be fixed when DJI accept it is an issue affecting quite a few people.

My concerns though are seeing lots of posts about people receiving Mavics that are broken (Gimbal clamp disc, tab at back of gimbal mount etc) which seems to be a big concern over quality control.

But also, the fact that the Gimbals are mounted on what are basically rubber bands and rubber bands do perish over time so what happens in a years time when our DJI Care Refresh has ran out and the Gimbals start falling apart?

Hopefully by then there will be local outlets that can do repairs but it does worry me that these devices may have a limited lifespan.

What are others thoughts on this?

Thanks

First of all I have been lucky. I have a Mavic Pro which worked fine out of the box and the only problem I have had is video being lost when using the included lightning lead which I think will be fixed when DJI accept it is an issue affecting quite a few people.

My concerns though are seeing lots of posts about people receiving Mavics that are broken (Gimbal clamp disc, tab at back of gimbal mount etc) which seems to be a big concern over quality control.

But also, the fact that the Gimbals are mounted on what are basically rubber bands and rubber bands do perish over time so what happens in a years time when our DJI Care Refresh has ran out and the Gimbals start falling apart?

Hopefully by then there will be local outlets that can do repairs but it does worry me that these devices may have a limited lifespan.

What are others thoughts on this?

Thanks

I have seen some Mavics arrive with dislodged bubbles, or gimbal locks, but I have not seen one, in the many dozens I have dealt with, arrive damaged or broken. Every single one has been flyable right out of the box. I have seen a few posts here about the rear cover of the camera breaking loose in the box while shipping, a simple fix by mounting it back on and turning the 2 screws that hold it on with a small philips screwdriver. The gimbal clamp and bubble could definitely have been designed stronger, but the cam and gimbal themselves are very strong and I have seen many survive crashes with just a ribbon or top plate broken. Gimbal clamp $5.00, gimbal bubble $12.50, they dont worry me much.

Yes the gimbal is mounted on rubber bands but so was the Phantom series. Rubber dampers. These things have a certain longevity to them, the old P3 dampers would crack at the bottom, and you would have to buy 4 new ones for $3.00. They had plastic retaining drop pins that would last forever even if the damper failed. Im sure that there are some replacement parts coming in the near future for the rubber bands. The bubbles and gimbal clamps are available. I sell them. The rubber bands and old P3 dampers are standard wear-and-tear items that will wear out after 50 or 100 flights, maybe less if they are kept in a very dry environment.

I should also point out that the rubber bands make for a smooth gimbal movemen, and they are the first line of defense in case of a crash. They break away first, then the ribbon cable, other cable, then the top plate. All cheap replacement parts, that is after the ribbon and other cable are introduced into the market. I sell reinforced top plates that will never break.

If you mean the Mavic when you are referring to "these devices," they will last for as long as you replace the wear-and-tear items. Some of these items might be motors, props, batteries, the rubber parts, and so on. DJI makes has always made a sturdy, long lasting machine that is made to withstand the abuse of newbies, but also deliver fantastic video at a ridiculously low price for what it is and what it can do. Yes you should probably take it in to you local hobby shop or other repair shop for a tuneup after 6 months or a year, but my dad always said, "if it aint broke, dont fix it." But my dad always changed his oil and tires like clockwork.

Reactions: Skids and DerekG
How long are you planning to keep your Mavic? For me, I kept my P3S for 6 months before I upgrade to P3P. And then I kept it for 6 months before buying Mavic. I am not sure if I would do it again when they announce P5 or Mavic 2 in April. But I am pretty sure I will upgrade it before the major wear and tear happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Former Member
I am not worried. In 6 months time eBay and parts sellers like Thunder-Drone will have just about every Mavic part.
As soon as Mavics become widely available and the public starts experimenting I think YouTube will be full of videos on how to replace and fix just about anything. Lots of New and Used cheap parts plus tutorials means that repairs should be easy and cheap. As for the poorly assembled Mavics, I think the problem appears bigger than it is. Most buyers have waited for months, so when it arrives and there is a problem they come to the forums in agony. If Mavics were readily available at Amazon they would not even post about it, they would just ship it back and get a new one in 3 days. Because of the shortage most cases become public knowledge but in truth most products have the same or worst return rates, it's just that you don't hear about it. BTW my Mavic is just like yours, not a single problem with it. I have only calibrated the compass once and I have never calibrated the IMU or did any form of reset.

Rob

I am not worried. In 6 months time eBay and parts sellers like Thunder-Drone will have just about every Mavic part.
As soon as Mavics become widely available and the public starts experimenting I think YouTube will be full of videos on how to replace and fix just about anything. Lots of New and Used cheap parts plus tutorials means that repairs should be easy and cheap. As for the poorly assembled Mavics, I think the problem appears bigger than it is. Most buyers have waited for months, so when it arrives and there is a problem they come to the forums in agony. If Mavics were readily available at Amazon they would not even post about it, they would just ship it back and get a new one in 3 days. Because of the shortage most cases become public knowledge but in truth most products have the same or worst return rates, it's just that you don't hear about it. BTW my Mavic is just like yours, not a single problem with it. I have only calibrated the compass once and I have never calibrated the IMU or did any form of reset.

Rob
Mine as well worked great out of box
Everyday the mavic is amazing no problems easy to fly

when they announce P5 or Mavic 2 in April.

LOL Mavic 2 in April :)
Are you forgetting Amazon is not shipping the Mavic1 until March 20th. DJI won't even catch up on Mavic sales until about May-July and then that's when the goggles come out and sales will once again start to go up.

If the Mavic 2 has any real kind of changes, example camera, side sonar, rear and top sonar then you can expect a release no earlier than the first quarter of 2018. DJI is not going to kill sales of something that is running hot on the factory floor by even hinting at a Mavic 2 until sales of the Mavic 1 start to nose dive.

Rob

Last edited:
LOL Mavic 2 in April :)
Are you forgetting Amazon is not shipping the Mavic1 until March 20th. DJI won't even catch up on Mavic sales until about May-July and then that's when the goggles come out and sales will once again start to go up.

If the Mavic 2 is has any real kind of changes, example camera, side sonar, rear and top sonar then you can expect a release no earlier than the first quarter of 2018. DJI is not going to kill sales of something that is running hot on the factory floor by even hinting at a Mavic 2 until sales of the Mavic 1 start to nose dive.

Rob

LOL, Mavic 2 in April is a bit exaggerated. But their release cycle is getting shorter every year.

Btw, DJI is shipping Mavic in 3-5 days after ordering. Forget about Amazon.

LOL, Mavic 2 in April is a bit exaggerated. But their release cycle is getting shorter every year.

Btw, DJI is shipping Mavic in 3-5 days after ordering. Forget about Amazon.

Amazon is just one of many dealers, like Apple, B&H and Many others globally that are sitting on thousands of orders and waiting for delivery. Not everyone who wants a Mavic is as obsessed as most of us on the forum. Many people will wait it out in Pre order stage because they like the safety of a 30 day no hastle return.

Rob

Reactions: finalfantasyfans
The camera gimbal is the weakest link on the Mavic. It would be great if DJI created a removal plug n play gimbal. It would make replacement and upgrades easy.

I'm not as worried as I was with my Typhoon H. I bought DJI's refresh plan. Hopefully I won't need to use it.

Reactions: Rensyo
The camera gimbal is the weakest link on the Mavic. It would be great if DJI created a removal plug n play gimbal. It would make replacement and upgrades easy.

I would lay money on the M2 having a serviceable camera with a larger sensor camera option too (not more pixels - more area). I'd look for a fall 2017 release.

After reading about everyone thats having problems, I feel like I'm the only one that has a perfectly fine Mavic, no problems, no complaints.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143