DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody shipping savvy?

Chirp

Reactions
It's not drone related but I have to find the best way of shipping a 131 lb. generator/inverter from PA to NJ.

I went to UPS site and filled in the blanks and it came to like $400. Surely there is a cheaper way. I think.

Some of the same generator is advertised brand new on eBay with free shipping for less than the regular cost of the generator alone at most places.

How do they do this?

Do you have a deadline as to when it needs to be there? Uship might be able to help, but they wont lock in to a specific date, just a ballpark, similar to moving companies.

I have used Uship to transport a few things, some as big as motorcycles. I usually wait for a few bids to come in before I choose one. Some of them Hopefully you can find someone who can deliver it:

uShip | The Online Shipping Marketplace

Reactions: Chirp
Do you have a deadline as to when it needs to be there? Uship might be able to help, but they wont lock in to a specific date, just a ballpark, similar to moving companies.

I have used Uship to transport a few things, some as big as motorcycles. I usually wait for a few bids to come in before I choose one. Some of them Hopefully you can find someone who can deliver it:

uShip | The Online Shipping Marketplace
Companies that ship a lot of packages get steeply discounted shipping rates.

Ok that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how some companies are offering free shipping on this item and it's gonna cost me $300~$400. And there's really no room for them to bury the shipping cost in the selling price. It's like you say, those guys ship a lot of packages.

Ok that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how some companies are offering free shipping on this item and it's gonna cost me $300~$400. And there's really no room for them to bury the shipping cost in the selling price. It's like you say, those guys ship a lot of packages.
They have shipping contracts , which gives them different rates , I am sure they have plans for companies that ship bulk items, freight and all of that .

my Daughter works for a trucking logistics company that does this stuff all the time. You are out of their area, but I would suggest talking to a trucking place. Maybe they can find a driver with room on the truck going from and to where you need. If he is going anyway, it should be cheaper. Check with a truck stop to find a broker.

Thanks for all this great advice. I wish I had known it before I listed the generator on eBay.
The bidding has died down.
It's not listed as a bid but as a "Buy it Now" price with "Make Offer" as an option.
I set it up to be "Local Pickup Only" to eliminate the fact that I didn't have a clue how to ship it for a reasonable price. It's 131 lbs.

That hasn't worked out yet so I'm going to relist it with shipping as an option which of course will open my prospective buyers to the entire country.
The company that ThunderDrones recommended, uShip | The Online Shipping Marketplace
replied with quotes that are reasonable and I'm sure if I have the ability to ship I will get a better response.

Another problem I had with shipping was how to package it since the box is gone.
The uship guys said they can take it as is and put blankets all around it and be sure not to stack it with anything else.
That was another sticky point I had in shipping it--I thought I would have to build a crate, which I will do if necessary but if I don't have to--that's even better...

How far is it actually going? Is dropping it off yourself out of the question? Road trip!

LTL is your best bet. I have shipped many transmissions for people all over the southeast for less than 100 bucks. They weigh 300-600 lbs each.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU