DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone change their control stick configuration to mimic FPS games?

Tried it today... will not be going back to mode 2!
Thanks for the thread/tip. I hadn't even thought about changing it before you brought the connection to FPS gaming... a blast from my past!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

"Custom" user here. I use FPS games a lot too, but as a former pilot, the idea of pushing the stick forward to go up is just... wrong. So I use "invert look" on the games, and have the Mavic sticks like mode 3, except for the up/down part. Right stick forward is down, back is up, like a proper airplane. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Soundtekk
"Custom" user here. I use FPS games a lot too, but as a former pilot, the idea of pushing the stick forward to go up is just... wrong. So I use "invert look" on the games, and have the Mavic sticks like mode 3, except for the up/down part. Right stick forward is down, back is up, like a proper airplane. YMMV.

I'm having an issue getting the same config to work for me. When I set the right stick to inverse Y (forward>down, back>up) it inverts the response to the left stick (forward>backwards, backwards>forwards) despite showing a non-inverted movement assignment in the config...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1200.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1200.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 46

To rephrase, right stick forward is "nose down" pitch.

Just a note- if you stick with Mode3, you'll never be able to move to a typical mini or race quad. Nor will you ever even be able to try one, as you'll likely crash it within moments. Those are all either Mode2 (by far the most common in the US) or Mode 1.

Just a note- if you stick with Mode3, you'll never be able to move to a typical mini or race quad. Nor will you ever even be able to try one, as you'll likely crash it within moments. Those are all either Mode2 (by far the most common in the US) or Mode 1.

IMO mode 2 should be the sole mode.

The rest is like a pilot coming on to the deck of a 787 and assigning the throttles to pitch and pitch to the throttle.

I thought about switching because of my countless hours on the fps battlefield and cod franchises and thought it would seem natural.
But stuck with mode 2 because i see it more like racing/driving game where the left stick controls the left and right steering/yaw, while the right stick controls acceleration/forward.

IMO mode 2 should be the sole mode.
And all lefties should be forced to become right handed.....:eek:.

I'm probably the only mode 1 user on this forum I know of (and yes, it's a lefty thing).

I'd reverse throttle if I could (forward => down) but GO4 doesn't seem to like this custom setting thing, so standard mode 1 it is.

It's been 30 years since I flew standard 3-axis control yoke ultralights. I can still remember being in that sling seat at 400' agl, and having to jam the stick forward to a 25 deg nose down pitch almost as fast as I throttled down the Rotax during engine out simulations, just to keep airspeed above 35 mph (due to all those draggy wire struts). Here I am 30 years later and my brain still wants to push forward to descend and pull back gain altitude. As you might guess, being IN the cockpit has way more motor memory impact than these little RC controller sticks or computer games!

Last edited:
And all lefties should be forced to become right handed.....:eek:.

I'm probably the only mode 1 user on this forum I know of (and yes, it's a lefty thing).

I'd reverse throttle if I could (forward => down) but GO4 doesn't seem to like this custom setting thing, so standard mode 1 it is.

It's been 30 years since I flew standard 3-axis control yoke ultralights. I can still remember being in that sling seat at 400' agl, and having to jam that stick forward to a 25 deg nose down pitch almost as fast as I throttled down during engine out simulations just to keep airspeed above 35 mph (due to all those draggy wire struts). Here I am 30 years later and my brain still wants to push forward to descend and pull back gain altitude. As you might guess, being IN the cockpit has way more motor memory impact than these little RC controller sticks or computer games!

I don't care about left - right stick assignement (I used to be a flight instructor so was quite used to reversed sides).

But pitch and roll should be on the same stick. Period!

I don't care about left - right stick assignement (I used to be a flight instructor so was quite used to reversed sides).

I liked pitch and roll on my ultralight control yoke with yaw on the pedals so I'm with ya there,....set up a turn with a combo bank and slight up elevator, and tweak with some rudder and throttle to keep from slippin/sliddin/droppin, but that's a big ole fixed wing plane. For droning I'll take my uncommon left hand pitch/yaw combo thankyou:)

I didn't like mode 2 as it didn't feel right so I switched to mode 3 as it looked most like an FPS game but for some reason that felt even stranger and the argument that getting used to mode 2 as that's the default for other drones that may not be changeable made sense.

John

I liked pitch and roll on my ultralight control yoke with yaw on the pedals so I'm with ya there,....set up a turn with a combo bank and slight up elevator, and tweak with some rudder and throttle to keep from slippin/sliddin/droppin, but that's a big ole fixed wing plane. For droning I'll take my uncommon left hand pitch/yaw combo thankyou:)

Vade Retros Satanas!

There was, once upon a time, a small airplane called an Ercoupe. IIRC it had mixed aileron and rudder but no rudder pedals (the ailerons were linked to the rudder). There was some claim to it being "spin proof" (could not enter a spin) not sure if that was so.

Mode 2 because I fly FPV racers . I always inverted the right stick when playing games because I also played a lot of flight simulators and well , that's how you fly a real aeroplane .

I'm with you. I don't care if you're in a glider, a helo, or a jet fighter. If you don't move any other control, when you pull back on the stick you'll go up, at least for a while, because you're changing the direction of your lift vector towards the vertical. I almost pranged my MP several times trying to adjust to Mode 2. Now this old dog uses custom with up/down (pitch) and turn (roll) on the right stick for flying around. When I'm in a stabilized hover, the left stick (fwd/aft, drift left/right) becomes my primary control.

I stuck with Mode 2 because I have flown some small RC copters in the past and it was really hard to get use to then but I finally did.

Anyhow if I was learning from scratch it might have been nice to mimic game controls.

I'm all about forward/back and left/right being on the same stick. It just makes logical sense, one hand controls directionality of movement and the other hand controls the other stuff. Personally I choose to have movement controls on the left, then altitude and rotation on the right. At first I used default for a while, but since switching I have way more control. While usually I like reversed y axis for up/ down when using a game pad in an FPS shooter or a joystick in a flight game, for the drone it just didn't feel right, especially when you can quickly go from going forwards to going backwards in a split second, up = up just makes more sense to me here.

I'm all about forward/back and left/right being on the same stick. It just makes logical sense, one hand controls directionality of movement and the other hand controls the other stuff. Personally I choose to have movement controls on the left, then altitude and rotation on the right. At first I used default for a while, but since switching I have way more control. While usually I like reversed y axis for up/ down when using a game pad in an FPS shooter or a joystick in a flight game, for the drone it just didn't feel right, especially when you can quickly go from going forwards to going backwards in a split second, up = up just makes more sense to me here.

Me too I use configuration 3. Only because my first drone was a Parrot and they all have this setup out of the box.

I think right stick is up and down and yaw. The left is for forward and back and strafe left and right

I flew MS Flight Simulator for years--got pretty good. Have had trouble learning to use Mode 2 with my Mavic. I'm going to try Mode 3, and see if I improve.

Reactions: Bandit287
Speaking of custom stick modes. It seems like I'm still not clear on how to actually get into a custom stick mode. This morning, I had everything powered up in the house (without props) so I could play with DJI Go4 and Litchi. Wanted to learn more about doing intelligent flight modes. This afternoon, when I went out to fly, not only did the aircraft fly opposite of expected vertically (up/down reversed) but so was fore/aft. Yaw and roll worked as expected. I tried to reload the custom mode in flight (going back and forth with Mode 2) and on the ground. I shut everything down (including GO4) and tried again. No luck. Is there a trick to getting a revised custom mode to take (besides hitting the save button)? Did I do something in Litchi that makes a difference even if Litchi is not called up?

Last edited:
How did you this?
I tried to do the same - I went into custom mode and dragged the descend icon to the up direction of the right stick and the climb icon to the down direction of the right stick, but it didn't invert the controls. Up was still climb and down was still dive :(

I'm having an issue getting the same config to work for me. When I set the right stick to inverse Y (forward>down, back>up) it inverts the response to the left stick (forward>backwards, backwards>forwards) despite showing a non-inverted movement assignment in the config...

Yes, I ran into this issue as well. I think there is a bug in the custom stick layout where it basically inverts the y-axis from whatever you set it to on both sticks. So to get it working for me I just set them both to the opposite of what I wanted and it comes out how I wanted. Weird. I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest