DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else experiencing screen lag when maneuvering your Air 2s?

paparatzy

Reactions
Since May, I’ve been experiencing a momentary lag or screen freeze on my iPad Mini connected to my RC when flying my Air 2s. It usually happens when I am positioning the drone to capture a photo or video. As far as I can tell, the drone is flying properly and reacting as it should to the controls as when the screen freezes while I’m executing a turn, when the screen ‘unfreezes’ the drone is now in the new position.

I don’t know where to pinpoint the problem. Is it the connection between the drone and the RC? Is the gimbal physically not moving then suddenly correcting itself? The drone was purchased as a renewed product but initial inspection did not reveal any evidence of a crash and I’ve flown it perhaps 50 times prior to this beginning to happen.

Anyone else have experienced this?

iPad 6 latest update always installed.

I just flew again testing out setting Gimbal Yaw and Pitch and noticed that the screen image is not smooth as I rotate the Gimbal up/down and move the drone side to side.

I also tested this using my iPhone 13 Mini with the same result so I don’t think it is a processor problem as the iPhone 13 is fairly powerful. I also compared what I was seeing on the screen while flying (stuttering) to the recorded video, which was smooth, without the screen jerkiness.

Last edited:
That rules out the mini as the culprit.
Cable possibly?

I flew using a different USB-C cable and had the same rough movement on screen as I moved the Gimbal and turned the drone.

Did you update to a newer version of DJI Fly around the time this happened?

I noticed the same kind of lag after I updated Fly on my iPad Mini 4 (used with the original Mavic Mini) — when they changed it to add new aircraft it got laggier. I'm wondering if that's a possibility?

I think what happens on my iPad is that the processor gets overloaded (I've seen those messages a couple of times, and I bet they've also happened when I didn't see them. The Mini 4 was listed as compatible when I bought the Mavic Mini but is no longer on the list of devices. Neither is the iPhone 6s (despite being listed as compatible with the Mavic Mini when I bought the Mini), which I acquired last fall but can't run Fly because the newer version overloads the processor. (Still ticked about that.)

Anyway, I'm guessing it might be related to your device hardware not keeping up with DJI Fly. If you could try it on a faster device that would be one way to test it.

The other possibility is a weak signal (video requiring the most bandwidth). If the problem happens when the aircraft is close to you as well as at a distance this is unlikely.

On iOS, the apps automatically update in the background so I don’t know for sure, but if there was one available, then yes.

Again, I tried it on my iPhone 13 Mini as well as the iPad Mini 6, both with the fastest processors (or nearly the fastest - iPad Mini) available but I would agree it seems to be a video transmission challenge, but then it makes it a different problem not related to the iPad or iPhone.

When I tested both my devices hooked up to the RC, the drone was only 15’ off the ground and about 10’ from me so distance isn’t a factor.

The Mini 6 and iPhone 13 are plenty powerful enough to run the Fly app. It sounds more like an RC problem. Video feed is the first thing to break up in high interference areas. Your SD card footage says it's not the camera. Besides the cable, the other culprits would be video transmission (aircraft) or reception (controller).

You might try deleting and reinstalling the app. That’s what DJI told me to do and problem solved. I can’t remember what the problem was specifically though.

On iOS, the apps automatically update in the background so I don’t know for sure, but if there was one available, then yes.
I turned that off after the time I got stuck out in the boonies with a drone that insisted on a firmware update (I had no internet). I'd tested everything the previous evening but apparently overnight the app updated and decided that it wanted newer firmware to take off…

So my plan to leave at 4 AM for a sunrise shoot came to naught, and I was a very grumpy chap that day 😤

Did you update to a newer version of DJI Fly around the time this happened?

I noticed the same kind of lag after I updated Fly on my iPad Mini 4 (used with the original Mavic Mini) — when they changed it to add new aircraft it got laggier. I'm wondering if that's a possibility?

I think what happens on my iPad is that the processor gets overloaded (I've seen those messages a couple of times, and I bet they've also happened when I didn't see them. The Mini 4 was listed as compatible when I bought the Mavic Mini but is no longer on the list of devices. Neither is the iPhone 6s (despite being listed as compatible with the Mavic Mini when I bought the Mini), which I acquired last fall but can't run Fly because the newer version overloads the processor. (Still ticked about that.)

Anyway, I'm guessing it might be related to your device hardware not keeping up with DJI Fly. If you could try it on a faster device that would be one way to test it.

The other possibility is a weak signal (video requiring the most bandwidth). If the problem happens when the aircraft is close to you as well as at a distance this is unlikely.
Mini 4 no longer powerful enough cpu to use FLY. Even deleting other apps results in overload messages. I had to get a mini 5.

Mini 4 no longer powerful enough cpu to use FLY. Even deleting other apps results in overload messages. I had to get a mini 5.
Yeah, but it was powerful enough when I bought my Mavic Mini. It really bugs me that they updated the app past the device I run it on to support an aircraft I don't have.

I can see needing a more recent device when you buy a recent release from DJI, but they shouldn't force you to get a new device just because they brought out a new product that you didn't buy.

Since May, I’ve been experiencing a momentary lag or screen freeze on my iPad Mini connected to my RC when flying my Air 2s. It usually happens when I am positioning the drone to capture a photo or video. As far as I can tell, the drone is flying properly and reacting as it should to the controls as when the screen freezes while I’m executing a turn, when the screen ‘unfreezes’ the drone is now in the new position.

I don’t know where to pinpoint the problem. Is it the connection between the drone and the RC? Is the gimbal physically not moving then suddenly correcting itself? The drone was purchased as a renewed product but initial inspection did not reveal any evidence of a crash and I’ve flown it perhaps 50 times prior to this beginning to happen.

Anyone else have experienced this?
Yes - I just got the Air 2S and was looking forward to the improved connectivity from the Air 2.

But I experienced exactly what you are talking about on every flight. Lag on the screen for several seconds, freezes and loss of connectivity to the RC. Having flown the Air2 for a couple years in the same locations, I know the 2S should not be losing the connection so often.

I updated the firmware, updated the app, recalibrated everything, re-paired, tried different cables and flew in totally different locations with very little signal interference.

I finally sent it to the DJI repair center. Hoping for a replacement.

The photos and video are great! It just needs to stay connected to the remote.

Ive heard that this is a known issue at DJI but they have yet to acknowledge it as there is no fix other than to replace the drone and remote.

Best of luck to both of us!

Please post the resolution from DJI. I need my drone every week for business, so cannot afford to send it in.

Exact same problem here with the Air S2 been flying it for a year now and the problem appear a month ago.

Doesn’t seem an RC interference issue, I have tested it with the drone landed and just moving the pitch from 0° to 90° with the rc just centimeters away and the problem with the laggy image is persistent.

Will go to DJI tomorrow and check with the folks down there.

Exact same problem here with the Air S2 been flying it for a year now and the problem appear a month ago.

Doesn’t seem an RC interference issue, I have tested it with the drone landed and just moving the pitch from 0° to 90° with the rc just centimeters away and the problem with the laggy image is persistent.

Will go to DJI tomorrow and check with the folks down there.
It’s been awhile since I started this thread and would like to report that the problem hasn’t repeated itself. I believe there has been a DJI update since posting and I’ve been flying quite regularly in roughly the same locations using the same equipment. The DJI update(s) seem to be the only difference.

Problem disappeared (for now)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne