DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone familiar with Malaysia entry rules?

88lance

Reactions
I'm on a trip and have 2 days in KL. Not planning on flying, it's mostly just a long stopover and I'll walk around and see the basics in the city.
I keep finding rules and permits about flying, but nothing about just entering the country with a drone.

A post in a travel forum mentioned getting stopped at customs and being told a permit was required just to enter with it, but everyone stated that it was just an officer that didn't know what he was talking about. The guy ended up buying a trip to Singapore and leaving.

If that happens to me, it would be nice to have a paper to pull out that shows the actual law about entering with it. Wasn't sure if anyone here knew more about these entry rules

Reactions: Swamidoc and Cafguy
If you declare that you are traveling with it and you are following the rules for the transportation of the Drone you will be fine and you should'nt have a problem I would contact them for yourself for piece of mind.
If you’d like to contact the CAAM directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: [email protected] / +60 3 8871 4000

Reactions: 88lance
From Malaysia Airlines:

Can i bring a drone?​

Apr 15, 2019•FAQ​

Answer
Yes, drones are permitted on Malaysia Airlines flights subject to the following conditions:-

a) Only lithium batteries powered drones are allowed.
b) Fuel-operated drones shall not be accepted.
c) A maximum of 2 drones per passenger*.
d) The lithium batteries for drones must comply with the lithium batteries limitations.
e) The lithium batteries must be removed from the drones, insulated/protected individually and carry them onboard as the cabin baggage.
f) The lithium batteries are not permitted to be carried in as checked baggage.
g) The drones must not be used on board.

*Note: Although passengers are allowed to carry a maximum of 2 drones as part of their cabin baggage, the current policy on cabin baggage shall apply.

Reactions: 88lance
I'm on a trip and have 2 days in KL. Not planning on flying, it's mostly just a long stopover and I'll walk around and see the basics in the city.
I keep finding rules and permits about flying, but nothing about just entering the country with a drone.

A post in a travel forum mentioned getting stopped at customs and being told a permit was required just to enter with it, but everyone stated that it was just an officer that didn't know what he was talking about. The guy ended up buying a trip to Singapore and leaving.

If that happens to me, it would be nice to have a paper to pull out that shows the actual law about entering with it. Wasn't sure if anyone here knew more about these entry rules
I too didn't find "entry" rules for drones. Just that Malasia Airlines allows drones on their flights. This suggests they allow entry of drones into their country.

When travelling with the drone, secure the drone in your luggage without the batteries. Only bring the batteries on board the plane, do not bring the drone inside the cabin. The security may give you trouble if they see you carrying the drone, but if it's in your checked bag, I doubt you will be interfered with.

I'm not familiar with Malaysia drone entry rules, but I have brought a drone into Malaysia via KUL since before they had drone laws, and at least twice a year since 2016. I last brought a drone to Malaysia in May 2023.

I've heard Kuala Lumpur City Center is off limits for drones and would not fly near the Petronas Towers today.

The tourism police are very strict in Kota Kinabalu and I wouldn't recommend flying there.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 17.32.45.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas