DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flew above cloud yet?

I'm surprised many of you in the US have not mentioned staying 500 feet below the clouds (ceiling). Did this FAA reg change recently? Flying in fog was one of my part 107 questions and it's not legal since you would not be 500 below a cloud.

I'm surprised no one mentioned about staying 500 feet below the clouds (ceiling). Did this FAA reg change recently? Flying in fog was one of my part 107 questions and it's not legal since you would not be 500 feet from a cloud.

When I took my part 107 (a couple of months ago) there were two questions regarding this, both of which I answered correctly. One was just that :"How far below the cloud ceiling must you be?" -- answer 500 ft. The other required you to calculate the ceiling using the temp and dewpoint and determine the max height you could fly based on the 400' max and the 500' below ceiling.(kinda of a trick question).

So I am not sure when/if it changed but the current rule is 500' below ceiling in the US.

I do not recall any questions about flying in fog on my test.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
When I took my part 107 (a couple of months ago) there were two questions regarding this, both of which I answered correctly. One was just that :"How far below the cloud ceiling must you be?" -- answer 500 ft. The other required you to calculate the ceiling using the temp and dewpoint and determine the max height you could fly based on the 400' max and the 500' below ceiling.(kinda of a trick question).

So I am not sure when/if it changed but the current rule is 500' below ceiling in the US.

I do not recall any questions about flying in fog on my test.
Very good point. But that goes along with drones that can fly 3 miles beyond VLOS and some of us might fly by monitor at times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman