DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flown the Mini 2 below freezing temperatures?

Nagging in stereo....urgh.
You're so right. It's "double trouble" if you don't know what you're doing. Most people would miserably fail to achieve lasting happiness. As you're in the UK, I would recommend Trigonometry on iPlayer which shows what the average polyamorous family have to work through. The series also does a good job of illustrating the "nagging" limitations of "normal".

The best way to end nagging is to stop making any kind of excuses etc. But we're heading into the realms of a Mavic Pro 10 here. :)

I believe Mini 2 has electric heaters in the lower sides of the battery compartment actively heating the batteries.

Otherwise there is no explanation as why my batteries jump from 10-12 degrees Celsius to 25 C within one minute. There is no way a chemical reaction generates that much heat that fast. I can feel the drone generating a lot of heat from the sides when I catch it with my fingers in cold weather.
Drone batteries generate a lot of current and hence, warmth/heat. There are no heaters in DJI drones. I know it feels that way but it's the battery itself.

Yes, but I wouldn't if there was freezing fog. Keep any batteries close to your body before you insert them into the drone, then they won't get cold.

Hang on a minute, you're from Spain....! "Freezing?" You're having a laugh! (Seriously, I do know that the mountains around Madrid, for example, sometimes get snow.)

You should come to the UK (still open and doing well after we've left the EU, plus very friendly - even to the French). Or go to the US or Canada - where they use that wonderfully ambiguous word "frigid". (To the Americans, the word means very cold, but to us who invented English it means sexually disinterested.) I've worked in temperatures down to -40C albeit not using a drone.
Here in the US, as a matter of fact, 'frigid' means both 'very cold' and 'sexually disinterested'. Synonymous, if you think about it.

We had unexpected and rare snow fall at our house this past week, so I waited till it was warmer that 32*F to fly. Mavic Air was fine, till around 4 minutes into the flight. I received a quick motor error warning, then 5-6 seconds later Mavic fell from sky. Luckily the video was saved, and snow cushioned impact. Guess fog affected the motors?

Attachments

• 64D48D1F-AD4B-4236-B8CF-53E0C6A609B3.jpeg
    64D48D1F-AD4B-4236-B8CF-53E0C6A609B3.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 4986B3D7-6A02-4961-B2C5-A4937E9F18A8.jpeg
    4986B3D7-6A02-4961-B2C5-A4937E9F18A8.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 15
Here in the US, as a matter of fact, 'frigid' means both 'very cold' and 'sexually disinterested'. Synonymous, if you think about it.
Hi Randy. Of course, you're correct. And I knew that. It's just it's so funny to us Brits who only think of the word one way. When you hear it being said by a TV weather forecaster in the US, you just fall about laughing.

Another great one is when you see a one-person portable toilet in a US national park or similar - with "Danger. High wind area" on the door. I first saw in Death Valley way back in the 1980s. Again, this cracks us up. To us, wind has two meanings: normal wind and the wind that can unfortunately escape from your backside on occasions. It took me years to realise that (in the US) you refer to the latter as "gas", so the humour is lost on you.

All the time. not uncommon to fly at even -20. I pay attention to the wind and wind chill to protect the drone and my fingers. NW Ontario has long winters and to wait for 0 temps, I'd be restricted to 6 months of use. Lovin' my new Mini 2 and do not miss my Mavic Air. My connection to the RC and absence of recalibration requests are GONE! \

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4