DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Going to try take Pictures of the Up Comming Solar Eclipse

Ron_Dog

Reactions
Are any of you going to take pictures of the eclipse,comming on the 21st. of this month?
I have no idea of what filter to use while trying to take photos of it?

Are you in the path of totality? Our house is, and I plan on taking pics with my Nikon P900 (2000mm lens) while simultaneously flying the MP as high as possible capturing the approaching and receding shadow as it blasts by at 1500 mph. My only concern is being so focused on gear that I'll miss the experience of a lifetime. Well, that and I'm sure it'll be overcast and raining if my typical luck prevails.

To answer your filter question, I'm guessing if you haven't purchased the solar film for your eyes, binoculars or camera lenses, you probably won't be able to get them - and if you do, you'll pay a king's ransom.

I bought a 10-pack of the paper glasses for kids/neighbors. Yesterday I received an unsolicited refund from Amazon because they said they could not verify if the filter material was safe. Fortunately I have those and several larger versions for the cameras/binoculars and they appear to be exactly the same. I see nothing except a dull glow of the full sun - which is how it's supposed to be.

Are you in the path of totality? Our house is, and I plan on taking pics with my Nikon P900 (2000mm lens) while simultaneously flying the MP as high as possible capturing the approaching and receding shadow as it blasts by at 1500 mph. My only concern is being so focused on gear that I'll miss the experience of a lifetime. Well, that and I'm sure it'll be overcast and raining if my typical luck prevails.

To answer your filter question, I'm guessing if you haven't purchased the solar film for your eyes, binoculars or camera lenses, you probably won't be able to get them - and if you do, you'll pay a king's ransom.

I bought a 10-pack of the paper glasses for kids/neighbors. Yesterday I received an unsolicited refund from Amazon because they said they could not verify if the filter material was safe. Fortunately I have those and several larger versions for the cameras/binoculars and they appear to be exactly the same. I see nothing except a dull glow of the full sun - which is how it's supposed to be.
Great I will be looking for your link to see the great video and pics.. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: erkme73
I'm close to the center of the path. I can go to Carbondale,Il. (A short distance 60 miles) and be in the center,but I don't think it's a must from what I've read. Yes I ordered a set (6) of ND Fliters for the MP,and I don't know if I will be able to photograph the sun directly,or not. All the camera stuff is new to me,so I'm just learning,at this point.

Reactions: Blades
No, the filter you need for the camera is specifically solar film and which blocks 99.999% of visible light. But it won't work on a mavic because the sun will be way above the unit. Unless you're holding it by hand and putting it on its back, the sun will be way too high to be able to see the eclipse while in flight. Especially considering it's going to happen shortly after high noon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan