DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Have Time To Explain Do's and Don'ts When Flying?

spirittoo

Reactions
Wellsir ... I got my drone back and since I haven't flown it much, I want to make sure I don't do anything that would cause me to crash or to lose the drone. I wouldn't want something to happen and be told you should have know that ... so if there is any heads up anyone can give me on proper flying and precautions I would appreciate it.?

Thanks for reading my post. ?

Bud there are so many it’s hard to start. I would read in this section some to see what have caused some issues to start with.
Then watch all the YouTubes and just read in here alot.
Take your time preferably in a big feild to learn all the modes and just
get comfortable. flying .

I would say listen to dirkclod he knows his drones and has the best advice , well most of the time ! or some of the time ! .
Just joking but everyone here has really good advice , answers etc .
If you can’t find what your looking for here , well there is no hope for you !!..
The more you fly the better and easier it gets .

@spirittoo a few things to consider before take off
(1)make sure that your batteries are fully charged ,for the drone and RC and screen device
(2)check that where you intend to fly there are no airspace restrictions in place and risk assess the area for trees and power lines
(3)dont take off till you get enough satts locked and the message that all is well
(4)check that there are no animals or birds near to your take off point that could be spooked by the drone
(5)prior to take off check the drone for any damage and make sure the battery is locked in place and the props are attached correctly
(6)check your RTH settings for height and what the drone will do in the event of the RTH being triggered
(7) make sure the gimbal cover clamp is removed before starting the drone
(8) these are just basic things to be aware of, and help to have a pleasant time flying your drone, and doing your best to get back on the ground in one piece

As a newbie, here are some things that have happened.
Have the right cables with you
Have the right phone and/or tablet to go with above.
All is charged.
Check both airmap and dji for restrictions
Don't harass wildlife.
Don't get in an argument with bystanders. Safer to just move on.
Make sure memory card is in drone
Look for holes, rocks, plants on the fround where you will be piloting from.
Take your sun shroud to aee acreen better.

DON’T engage in a conversation with a curious friend or stranger while flying and just getting your drone above you to just hover while you try so hard to end the conversation WITH YOUR THUMBS ANYWHERE NEAR THE STICKS, YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF GETTING FIDGETY TRYING TO END THE CONVERSATION TO ENJOY THE REST OF THE BATTERY LIFE LEFT AS THEY HAVE A MILLION QUESTIONS, AND THE FACT THAT YOU DONT WANT TO BE RUDE CAUSES YOUR ANXIETY TO START PLAYING TWIDLE MY THUMBS WHILE HOLDING THE CONTROL, CAUSING SLIGHT TAPS ON THE STICKS THAT YOU DONT REALIZE, AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOUR DRONE IS NOT HOVERING OVER YOU, YOU ACTUALLY HIT THE STICKS MANY TIMES NOT REALIZING, AND ENDING UP SIDEWAYS IN A TREE. WELL THATS A VERY QUICK CONVERSATION ENDER, AS THE PERSON HEARS YOU CURSING LOOKING UP AT A TREE. YUP I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE AS “ IT HAPPENED TO A FRIEND” :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mavic Mac
Wow thanks for all the input. I have been checking out some of the threads with the MA. I am wondering what is IMU? Did I use the right letters in the right order? What does it do, are there certain things I need to know about it? Also I've seen a couple of threads with crashes into trees involving the MA ... what happen to the obstacle avoidance? Is is correct I need to make sure the map indicator is facing the same way as the drone?
I will be flying the MA in my back yard. No people or animals ... just birds.

Lots of thinks can be written here but in general..major don'ts are:
Don't fly in strong interference
Don't fly without having a general idea of the area you fly
Don't fly without having set properly the RTH details (hights-controller position-mode) and according to the objects around you.
Don't PANIC...
Don't ignore simple things and mostly don't take this drone as a toy.

Do's
Do check any detail preflight (batteries-props-frequencies available-general condition of drone-ect)
Do take advance care if you are gona fly above water or among high objects and avoid buildings at any cost.
Do avoid flying among people around you

Wires and mettal constuctions are enemies
Think like you flying as a passenger on your drone. Any misbehavior or ignorance is dangerous. And remember most crashes or lost drones are pilot's fault.

Download the manual for your drone from the DJI website. Read it and understand it fully before flying. Once you do make a few flights, go back and read the manual again! You'll be surprised how much this helps you remember things.

Wow thanks for all the input. I have been checking out some of the threads with the MA. I am wondering what is IMU? Did I use the right letters in the right order? What does it do, are there certain things I need to know about it? Also I've seen a couple of threads with crashes into trees involving the MA ... what happen to the obstacle avoidance? Is is correct I need to make sure the map indicator is facing the same way as the drone?
@spirittoo the IMU is short for Inertial Measurement Unit it comprises gyroscopes,and accelerometers ,

The full manual is on the dji website. It will answer almost every question you will have. It is the single most important thing you can read and understand before flying.

Wellsir ... I found a pretty good video that help me understand the app better and some good tips before flying the drone. The video this drone gives is great. I wish I had it during the 4th when everyone and there mother was shooting off fireworks. I could have gotten some great video.
Beginner guide

I'm getting use the operating the drone, and I find it is very nice, unlike the repair center.:rolleyes:

Reactions: old man mavic
In poor words, IMU is the object that "understands" the position and movement of your drone and keeps it as stable as possible. You do not have to know anything special about IMU, except if it is necessary its calibration, and this is indicated directly by the App. About obstacle avoidance, remember that the MA1 has no side sensors, but only forward,backward and bottom sensors. So you can go in a tree when you fly in right or left direction, or you are increasing your altitude starting from bottom of a tree. In addition remember that your sensors can fail revealing small objects, electrical wires or objects hidden by reflections . So, obstacle avoidance is an help, but do not thrust them too much.

I see that no one have told you how to avoid Yaw errors due to powering on the drone in a magnetic disturbed area with a following flyaway on height ... It's an easy check you always should do when the drone have been powered up, connected to the app & placed for take off.

Below pic. show the DJI GO4 app running on a bigger tablet screen ... & it's what you see on the mini map that's important, so this check will work in a similar way in the DJI FLY app also.

After that the drone have been powered on & connected to the app, check so the drone icon on the mini map is pointing equal to how the drone does in reality in relation to map objects.

So in below example for instance ... if I look around & find that the drone in reality is positioned & pointing in the same way as the drone icon is on the mini map in relation to those streets everything is good ... you know by this check that the IMUyaw have been initialized by an undisturbed compass when the drone was powered on, "the drone" knows how it's pointing ... & you are good to take off.

If the drone icon direction doesn't correspond to how the drone is pointing in reality ... ALWAYS POWER DOWN ... move to another spot & power on to reinitialize the IMUyaw & repeat the check. DO NOT TAKE OFF until the drone in reality & the drone icon on the map points equally in relation to objects.

1596536983652.png

A good "power on procedure" to practice is to immediately after the power on button have been pushed on the battery, grab the drone from underneath with the hand without a watch, rings or bracelets ... & hold the drone leveled with an outstretched arm in shoulder height ... & keep it there until it is fully on & the live view have appeared in the app. After this you can place the drone on the ground for take off.

By doing this you keep the drone as far away from possible magnetic objects as you possibly can & the IMUyaw initialization should be done with an undisturbed compass.

If you are flying from inside your vehicle, and it happens to be a DeLorean - ALWAYS avoid setting the control to 2020!

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
If you are flying from inside your vehicle, and it happens to be a DeLorean - ALWAYS avoid setting the control to 2020!
Think I had rather set it to 1976 .?

I did get a pre-check list from another site with many of what is posted here from the members.
Get to know everything on your controller as one has pointed out.
Never assume your settings has been saved and check everything again.
I always do a short flight of 50 up and 50 out then do a "return to home" for a test.
I also fly straight up to my the height of the return home setting then do a 360 to see if there is anything in the way.
If I know I am going to fly over water then I will have on my rescue jacket before hand with the wet suit.
I have seen to many post of lost drones in the water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez