DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Here ever try to get Permission to Fly / Film The USS Alabama?

13_Dragons

Part 107
Reactions
I have seen a few youtube videos of drone shots flying over the Alabama and other things at the Park, Was just wondering about what it would take to get the OK to fly there, since it is only about 15-20 mins from my house.

I have seen a few youtube videos of drone shots flying over the Alabama and other things at the Park, Was just wondering about what it would take to get the OK to fly there, since it is only about 15-20 mins from my house.
I just posted these two links in response to a question in another thread.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange - LAANC

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/b4ufly - B4YouFly app - Check locations for flying per FAA

Thre aft part of Alabama is inside controlled airspace (Brookley Field - now Mobile Downtown Airport) and the forward part is in Class G airspace. You can request LAANC clearance to fly in the controlled area. Or just stay north of the ship's bridge.

I just posted these two links in response to a question in another thread.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange - LAANC

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/b4ufly - B4YouFly app - Check locations for flying per FAA

Thre aft part of Alabama is inside controlled airspace (Brookley Field - now Mobile Downtown Airport) and the forward part is in Class G airspace. You can request LAANC clearance to fly in the controlled area. Or just stay north of the ship's bridge.
Yeah I went to the USS Alabamas website and they have a drone policy at the park and say you need to get permission from the Battleship Museum, I was just wondering what all would be involved to get permission to fly not only through LAANC But from the Museum also.

Yeah I always use the B4ufly app and do the checklist and send all that info and get the good to fly. But like I say I want to stay within the rules and not do anything stupid...LOL I dont want to be "That Guy"

Reactions: MS Coast
Yeah I went to the USS Alabamas website and they have a drone policy at the park and say you need to get permission from the Battleship Museum, I was just wondering what all would be involved to get permission to fly not only through LAANC But from the Museum also.

Yeah I always use the B4ufly app and do the checklist and send all that info and get the good to fly. But like I say I want to stay within the rules and not do anything stupid...LOL I dont want to be "That Guy"

Aha. I didn't know the park had a policy. Let us know what you find out.

Edit: I looked up their drone policy. It hasn't been updated since 2017 and needs an update. It currently says you need a COA and must operate under the 2017 revisions to the FAA regs. The part about operating 400' above structures is not correct for recreational flights. They do have some good common sense rules about proximity to people and such.

Last edited:
Call the museum and ask them. I can see the rust bucket from my house with zoom, not great, but good enough for me, as the ship does not interest me anymore. Permission for around Brookley Field is usually automatic for a 100' altitude. I am close to Brookley Field.

Good morning to all-
I have flown over the battleship and videoed the flight- most impressive. I launched from the Causeway- the major highway just ahead of the park. There are plenty of good pull-offs and parking spots, and the ship is within easy flight range. You don't have to launch from the park.
It's a great place to fly and see. And there are some really good seafood restaurants all along the Causeway. Fly the drone and then go get something good to eat- that's hard to beat.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: 13_Dragons
Good morning to all-
I have flown over the battleship and videoed the flight- most impressive. I launched from the Causeway- the major highway just ahead of the park. There are plenty of good pull-offs and parking spots, and the ship is within easy flight range. You don't have to launch from the park.
It's a great place to fly and see. And there are some really good seafood restaurants all along the Causeway. Fly the drone and then go get something good to eat- that's hard to beat.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Attachments

• DJI_0576 (1)battleship video_Moment redo.jpg
    DJI_0576 (1)battleship video_Moment redo.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 13_Dragons
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members