DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Colorado or Denver Metro area?

Mav Max

Reactions
Hello All! I'm New in here & New pilot to the Mavic Pro! Thought it might be helpful/fun conversing in a Mavic drone forum, learn tip/tricks from experienced, have conversations, hang out with all you excellent people, etc! :) Just went out flying some over the weekend (1st time & No crashes, yea!) & I'm Already addicted (fun stuff)! Possibly looking for someone and/or group around Denver Metro area to go flying with (I live in Aurora, CO)...

Thx,
Mav Max :)

Mav Max, new to Mavic also...last week. Unfortunately, I'm across town in SW Littleton. Having a blast at Clement Park so far. You using a cell phone or ? for a in-flight viewer? Be safe & Enjoy. Grif

Hi Grif,

Thanks so much for your Reply (thought/hoping I would find least 1+ person in Denver metro area here!)! Welcome to this Site also & for being a New Mavic pilot (it IS a blast). I'm close to the Denver/Aurora (SW) border area - your not to far (SW Littleton) by Johnson Reservoir. I'm just using cell phone for now but will upgrade to a Tab or iPad in near future I bet (larger screen/easier to see). I have Not used the 4k Video/Camera really as yet, as I want to learn controls, handle my drone, confidence and how to fly comfortably 1st, then some heavy video I hope! :) Seems there are rather allot of restrictions & places we can NOT fly drones, around Denver metro area(s) sadly (and like National & State Parks, some City Parks (Denver City Park is a No), etc
FYI: I assume (important) you have FAA Registered your Mavic & got a sticker for drone and/or your paperwork to carry (reg. #) - Correct? 1st thing I did and even I have Drone Insurance (for crashes (totaled), to replace/repair), etc, pretty cheap - if you haven't yet would recommend (not a questions of IF you'll crash or loss it but WHEN!)...

Hope to continue to chat here with ya & share things, etc, maybe in future, if ya want, we can do some flying somewhere/sometime?

Fly safe & aware...

Best,
Thomas

Hi, Thomas. As far as I can see from my research, since I'm not doing any commercial work and the size of the drone, no registration is required for the Mavic. So also stated the DJI store folks. Did get the insurance! Yes, it's a bummer that some folks have ruined the privilege for us all...! Still will have some fun where I can.

I'm also looking at a bigger screen than my Samsung Note 4. Had a 10" Samsung tablet that I had passed to one of my daughters years ago that was brought back out. (Much to my surprise!) It needs a new battery, of course. But would be fantastic...if I can get it going. It's very light weight. A sun screen would probably double the weight. I have ordered the "pedestal" for the new screen. Costco has a pretty good deal for the 8" Samsung Tablet at about $190. Looked at iPad Mini's this weekend...they (Apple) think very highly of them! Ha! And that's where I'll leave that one.

What are you using for a video editor?

Hey Grif,
Important: 1st & foremost You ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO Register your DJI Mavic Pro (FROM THE FAA SITE LINK,You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg) and you are not flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft) OR You Will be subject to a Large Fine AND Jail Time. You Need to do that Immediately Before you Fly Again. Once Registered (it's only $5.00), You will get an email with your New FAA Registration # (Letters & Numbers) and you should Print it out & Carry with you at all times When your Flying. FAA also says, you should have a Sticker with the Identification # Visible ON Your Drone also! I have Both (there are places you can Order Online the sticker with your entered Specific ID # for your Drone. I can give that to you if you Need It.

Here's the LINK & read more about doing it & Why: sUAS Registration

Hi, Thomas. As far as I can see from my research, since I'm not doing any commercial work and the size of the drone, no registration is required for the Mavic. So also stated the DJI store folks. Did get the insurance! Yes, it's a bummer that some folks have ruined the privilege for us all...! Still will have some fun where I can.

I'm also looking at a bigger screen than my Samsung Note 4. Had a 10" Samsung tablet that I had passed to one of my daughters years ago that was brought back out. (Much to my surprise!) It needs a new battery, of course. But would be fantastic...if I can get it going. It's very light weight. A sun screen would probably double the weight. I have ordered the "pedestal" for the new screen. Costco has a pretty good deal for the 8" Samsung Tablet at about $190. Looked at iPad Mini's this weekend...they (Apple) think very highly of them! Ha! And that's where I'll leave that one.

I wouldn't Trust what some people say about FAA registration (online, retail stores, hourly employee, etc), it's ALL there (answers - get the Facts) when you go to FAA site Link I sent you (if you Don't Register & are caught, it Will Be All on You)!
Commercial Requires Also you Register AND to do Commercial drone Flying (i.e. getting paid for it, contract, etc.) you need to get the FAA Part 107 Certification (requires 2-3 Hr. FAA written test). Yes Insurance Grif, it's thru State Farm for $60.00 Yr - Not bad, considering it's avail out there (ebay, amazon, dji site, etc for allot more). Yes, it is a bummer that I we can't fly the drone where I'd like to (great pics, videos, etc) in CO parks, etc (least for now anyway, rules may change)?
Funny, I also have a S. Note 4 I use (great ph & presently the Only S Samsung (& Note) that Does Have a Removable/Replaceable Battery (Note 8 coming out?). When I do upgrade to Larger screen - I'm thinking something around 11-12" screens (& get an adapter for my controller for the larger screens). I am more of a PC user (after all it is a PC world) but iPads are real nice (More Expensive for the same PC comparison power/features, etc). But Macs probably (I think) rule in the Music/Video software realm!
Haven't gotten to video editing as yet, probably wait till I'm better at flying 1st but if I was going to Choose (I researched & think), 1 of the very best is the: Adobe Premiere Elements.

I wouldn't steer ya wrong; I'm very Tech savy, straight forward, detailed & an excellent researcher (allot of what I do at work) kinda guy!
Hope all this will help you out? What are we here for... :)

Best,
Mav Max

Grif,

I wanted to Write you back (and others here) to say: I stand corrected, it does appear you Are Correct that your DJI Mavic Pro (recreational use) does NOT need to be Registered with the FAA & pay $5.00 (due to newly changed law)! There certainly was/is conflicting data out there (still) and I then decided to just Go Ahead to register it, better safe than sorry! Upon further research & talking to the correct people (I don't want to nor try to convey incorrect information), I Confirm now that I/We do Not need to Register our Recreational Drones any more (Yea!).

Again, I apologize to all for the misinformation...

Best & Fly Safe,

Mav Max

Grif,

I wanted to Write you back (and others here) to say: I stand corrected, it does appear you Are Correct that your DJI Mavic Pro (recreational use) does NOT need to be Registered with the FAA & pay $5.00 (due to newly changed law)! There certainly was/is conflicting data out there (still) and I then decided to just Go Ahead to register it, better safe than sorry! Upon further research & talking to the correct people (I don't want to nor try to convey incorrect information), I Confirm now that I/We do Not need to Register our Recreational Drones any more (Yea!).

Again, I apologize to all for the misinformation...

Best & Fly Safe,

Mav Max
MM-No problem, my new friend. Used to work for Fed Govt. Learned a long time ago that I needed to read the reg, do it again and then be aware that somewhere there was probably a change or exception. Glad that the change gives us a little break! Have fun!

MM-No problem, my new friend. Used to work for Fed Govt. Learned a long time ago that I needed to read the reg, do it again and then be aware that somewhere there was probably a change or exception. Glad that the change gives us a little break! Have fun!
Hope things are Well. Yes, I agree with what ur saying, and with all the still conflicting data out there, I figured I'd just go ahead get Registered & spend the little $5.00. I actually filled out a form, sent in my request for a Refund (& my info purged) from FAA. It's all good!
Anyway moving forward, have you been Flying much? Haven't heard or seen you on here much lately (I have been busy also)? I'm going to head up to the Mountains Tomorrow (get out of town, will be little cooler up there), maybe find a place to fly a little? Have a good 1 Grif & talk again soon. Have fun flying...
Best,
Mav Max

MM, just to let you know that I did register also. Got the quadcopter labelled. I've also joined the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). I've visited the Chatfield Aerodrome (RC area). Super fun watching them fly and interacting with them as a visitor. Got a permit from Jeffco Parks for the Easton Park area last week and flew there yesterday. Hope your trip to the mountains went well and you got some good video.

Hey grif,
Hope things are well with you? Thx for your email Grif.:) Haven't been on here in a little bit, been busy, etc. Oh, you Did end up Registering (for Commercial? Recreational?)? As I said earlier, I also have the registration FAA paperwork (waiting for FAA refund - in process) & my drone is labeled also (probably will just keep them). Sounds like you've been busy flying, taking videos, etc. - good for you. You joined the AMA - that sounds pretty cool! I have flown 3/4 times now since having it (mountains were fun). Would like to fly more (somewhat boring doing it by myself). Maybe you would be Interested in meeting up somewhere/sometime (exchanging ph #s? I'm over here in Aurora, other side of town from you!) & do some flying and/or tell/show me what you know, tips, etc? Take care & TT you soon...

Best,
Mav Max

MM, if I come your way, will let you know here. Don't travel that way much unless I have to because of traffic and tolls. Might go up Guanella Pass one day-if the wx improves! Good flying!

hey grif, Ok. I am just east of I-225 in Aurora (I'm not far east or out by E-470), etc! I would really enjoy doing some flying with ya, show me some tricks, etc. I could come out to west side to fly if better for you? let me know when/where - weekends are best for me...

Hi Grif,
I Assume since you're Not on here, you are out Flying your Mavic (weather permitting)!? lol
Hope things are well.
I did have to Send my Mavic in for Repair/Warranty (bummer) because All Brands of Extension Legs I tried (Polar Pro, Ultimaxx, etc) Fit/Slide Perfectly on my Left Front Mavic Leg but NON Fit/Slide on my Mavic Front Right Leg (my Mavic Right Front Leg must be slightly larger than my Right Front Leg (in centimeters)) - kinda weird! I later last week (after talking to DJI support, etc), DID Send back to DJI Repair facility in CA for them to Replace the Mavic Right Leg. It IS a DJI issue (my Mavic must have been Missed by their Quality Control people?)! So, looks like No Flying for about a couple of Weeks (But Football preseason is on, that will keep me going - Broncos, etc)... :)

Hello. I'm also in the SE Denver area and wouldn't mind meeting up to do some flying. I just got my Mavic Pro earlier this week and have been enjoying it. I need to find where it's legal to fly around the Denver area also. I'm within 5 miles of Centennial airport.

Hi mrdtowndoc, Welcome thx for contacting me (I'm in Aurora S area - close)! yes ur rite, you can't fly w/i 5 miles of cent. airport (faa)! there r a few places around denver area. sounds like fun, getting together for drone flying (I haven't been flying much, been busy, etc and I had to send my Mav Remote back (3rd time now (2 other issues), repair facility (in CA) they will get it Monday then however long to fix/replace & send back (should have it by next weekend - that would be good. I am Not impressed with dji (china) people and how they handle repairs/warranty, etc (for a $1000.00 drone). we'll keep in touch, keep you updated on when I get drone & we can do some flying... take care & fly safe, Mav Max :)

Hello mrdtowndoc, Well I have gotten back my Mavic (I ended up fixing my Mav myself - DJI didn't do anything (after sending in 3 times)) - very disappointed with them. Anyway, It's up & working and wanted to know if You Are or Want to do some flying this Weekend (I'm pretty open but Bronco game Sunday at 11:00am MST)? I know of a place (big Park, I go) that's real close to both of us (I'm in S.W. Aurora).
Obviously, I have not been flying much with my Mav issues, I also have been very busy, etc

Oh, I'm Thomas by the way! What is Yours?

We can Both probably learn some things from each other, etc!

Give me a call (I will trust you with my ph. #) if you want to Fly and/or Chat some, etc : 720-365-9965

Thx & hope to talk/fly soon...

Best,
Mav Max

Hello All! I'm New in here & New pilot to the Mavic Pro! Thought it might be helpful/fun conversing in a Mavic drone forum, learn tip/tricks from experienced, have conversations, hang out with all you excellent people, etc! :) Just went out flying some over the weekend (1st time & No crashes, yea!) & I'm Already addicted (fun stuff)! Possibly looking for someone and/or group around Denver Metro area to go flying with (I live in Aurora, CO)...

Thx,
Mav Max :)

Hey I'm West of Denver in Green Mountain

Mark

Last edited:
Meet up with Mav Max aka Thomas last weekend and we did some flying near Morison Co.
Good times had by all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS