DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Georgetown/Round Rock

Kiowa6

Reactions
Looking for good place to fly and train son & grandson. Would love to hear your recommendations. Thanks

I live in the Cat Hollow / Brushy Creek area. I've been thinking of flying in the various local parks along Brushy Creek road, between Great Oaks and Parmer.

Might also look at Old Settler's Park.

Those are very scenic areas. Have you flown in any of these areas before? I’d love to hear of your experiences.

I flew for the first time today at the Brushy Creek Lake Park on Parmer and Brushy Creek Rd. It was beautiful and very windy. I flew around the lake area for a while, and even (stupidly) went over the water for a fair amount of time. I guess I understand why so many people dunk their drones. It's just too tempting to fly over water!

Fortunately, my drone is safely at home.

I highly recommend getting out there if you live anywhere nearby.

Hey I’m in Pflugerville looking for a partner in crime to fly with I’m going out today sometime. Let me know if your interested?

Hey guys. Cedar Park checking in. :) couple things I noted. On some web site, I noticed that drones are prohibited in Williamson County parks. That includes the Regional Park as well as Champion Park and some others. I've not seen any signs there, so guessing it's not a huge deal, but...
Also, please make sure to notify Breakaway / Sasser airport if you're flying in one of the parks on either side of Parmer at Brushy Creek.

Reactions: Rwalkertx
Hi @spamgnome. Thanks for that info. I had no idea that Williamson County banned drones at their parks. I went to the wilco.org website and was able to verify what you said.

So, it looks like Champion Park is off limits, as it's listed as a Wilco park.

Brushy Creek Lake Park is managed by Cedar Park. I have checked their website but have not found any mention of drones, legal or otherwise. I sent an email to their parks department asking about it. I'll post an update once they contact me.

BTW, I'm very new to owning a drone so am still a newbie when it comes to legalities and such. I am trying to keep it legal, of course.

Hi @spamgnome. Thanks for that info. I had no idea that Williamson County banned drones at their parks. I went to the wilco.org website and was able to verify what you said.

So, it looks like Champion Park is off limits, as it's listed as a Wilco park.

Brushy Creek Lake Park is managed by Cedar Park. I have checked their website but have not found any mention of drones, legal or otherwise. I sent an email to their parks department asking about it. I'll post an update once they contact me.

BTW, I'm very new to owning a drone so am still a newbie when it comes to legalities and such. I am trying to keep it legal, of course.
I know this is a bit old, but did you ever hear back from the parks department? I would love to fly at Brushy Creek Lake Park or Brushy Creek Sports Park.

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year all!!!
Just getting into the hobby and quickly figuring it that there's a lot more to it with the constant FAA rulings that's been coming out lately. I've seen some earlier comments from the past year above that the parks such as Williamson have banned drones but technically speaking they do not govern the airspace so they can only ban the operator on the ground and not the drone flying over it since FAA has exclusivity on regulating airspace and local ordinances cannot conflict/supersede the FAA statutes. Interested to know local locations and tips n tricks from others here to keep it legal. Also anyone here recently go for a part 107 certification. Would love to hear about your experiences.

I found this link very useful to understand that distinction.

Reactions: Gipper
I know this is a bit old, but did you ever hear back from the parks department? I would love to fly at Brushy Creek Lake Park or Brushy Creek Sports Park.
Sorry for the insanely late reply. I missed that there was an update to the thread. I never heard back from them.

Sorry for the insanely late reply. I missed that there was an update to the thread. I never heard back from them.

Getting a new drone soon, and I back up to Garey Park. Interesting comment above on airspace; I would be flying over Garey Park, from my backyard, which isn't GP.

There is a flight zone in Old Settlers park where I've seen people with drones and remote control planes flying around, but reading up on it, it seems like you might need to be a member of the "Lone Star Aeronuts RC Flying Club" to use it.

There is a flight zone in Old Settlers park where I've seen people with drones and remote control planes flying around, but reading up on it, it seems like you might need to be a member of the "Lone Star Aeronuts RC Flying Club" to use it.
I believe you also have to be a member of the AMA to be a member of the flying club.

Reactions: taboo
Late to the game here. Has anyone gone out to Lake Georgetown? It seems to be BLM land, so I don't think the Williamson County regs would apply. Not sure though.

That's one of the places I intend to check out once the temperatures drops significantly. I have flown at the Old Settlers' Park location at the Aeronuts' field. I've met several of the flyers there and all have been welcoming; seems like a good mix of fixed wing and helicopters and several mostly FPV drones. I've been in the R/C sport for many years and it looks like it's gone almost entirely electric.

That's one of the places I intend to check out once the temperatures drops significantly. I have flown at the Old Settlers' Park location at the Aeronuts' field. I've met several of the flyers there and all have been welcoming; seems like a good mix of fixed wing and helicopters and several mostly FPV drones. I've been in the R/C sport for many years and it looks like it's gone almost entirely electric.
Any update on flying around Georgetown Lake or along Guadalupe River, near Tejas Park? It looks like there is some restricted airspace near the lake.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada