DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Switzerland?

Heck yes, we have members in Suisse, Schweiz, Svizzera, Svizra, or whatever Switzerland is called in your canton!

Hope you can hook up with some of them and do some flyin'! Oh, that's right! You're from Zurich, so that would be Schweiz! We do have several members in Zurich (Sorry, I can't speak Schweizerdeutsch)!

Heck yes, we have members in Suisse, Schweiz, Svizzera, Svizra, or whatever Switzerland is called in your canton!

Hope you can hook up with some of them and do some flyin'! Oh, that's right! You're from Zurich, so that would be Schweiz! We do have several members in Zurich (Sorry, I can't speak Schweizerdeutsch)!
Hey, thanks for the message! hope a couple of those brave pilots raise the hands!! have an excellent day

So I just did my Open A1/A3 UAS certificate for Switzerland, and am planning to bring a drone there this April (going to Verbier).

Insurance is in place, and I received my pilot ID and operator ID.

I did the test in French and though I'm far from functional in it, managed 87% with the help of Google translate.

If you have questions, ask away!

Reactions: Hauptmann
I'm a USA drone/airplane pilot, have my EASA drone registration for EU countries...I know Switzerland is not technically a member of the EU but often follows many EU regulations. I will be passing through Switzerland - briefly - on a trip in September (only passing through Zurich), and I will have my drone along with me (Mini 3 Pro, 249 grams). I plan to fly my drone quite a bit in France on this trip (I've checked the restrictions and have the airspace map), but as long as I'm there, if it's legal and not too hard to do, I might want to get some photos/footage while in Zurich.

Is my EASA registration (originally registered in Ireland) valid in Switzerland? If yes, any other requirements I need to know about? If not, what would I have to do to get legal to fly it in Switzerland?

Since I will only be in Zurich, I assume flying there is either entirely prohibited or at best highly restricted (typical for large cities anywhere in the world) - so my expectations are low, and I suspect it probably wont work out. But I figure it's worth at least asking and looking into it. Is there an airspace map/app I can use to view where it is/is not OK in Switzerland (and specifically in Zurich) to fly the drone?

Thanks!

Yes. EASA includes Switzerland, even though Switzerland is not part of the EU. The EASA includes several countries that are not strictly speaking EU members. Norway and Iceland are two other examples.

Your EASA drone registration is valid in all EASA member states, including those that are not part of the EU.

I recommend downloading the Swiss U-Space app by Skyguide. It is a solid app that explains the airspaces and restrictions. You will need to create an account to register your flights, etc.

Zurich is fairly open according to the map (I didn't fly there, only around Verbier, a ski resort). It is controlled airspace, but for most of the city, you are ok up to 120m AGL - nothing unusual. There are a couple of small red zones and I believe they are jails. Closer to the airports you can get pre-approval for flights below the indicated grid 1 working day in advance, and if you need to go above the grid, you will need to apply 10 days in advance.

In the areas south of Zurich, Enge, Wollishofen, Friesenberg, etc you have no restrictions at all on the map, though I believe the country-wide limitation is still 120m AGL for most drone categories.

Good luck and happy flying!

Reactions: Aerophile
Thanks. I found the airspace map and it doesn't look too bad - even in and around Zurich itself, it seems reasonable. Yes, I'll confirm my insurance is good in Switzerland, and of course will be polite as a guest always should. Hope to come home with at least a few shots and footage of Zurich from above.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpnc