DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone see this video of the Mini 3 pro hitting a school bus.

Too bad??

Being it did not cause any significant injury or more than $500 in damage then, no, they would not have to report it.
If the drone is valued at $689, wouldn't that qualify since it was totaled?

and people take reviewers like that seriously... imagine some guy taking race car for a review and crashing it... why would anyone listen to what he has to say? Crowd pshychology is strange...

The collision sensors are cameras. They use stereoscopic separation to guesstimate distance.
If you watch the vid he veered out to the middle of the road a couple of times because he was looking back. The drone tracked him to the middle of the street, then reacquired him off to the drone right.
The drone was not head-on to the bus it was at an angle because it had the rider in it's field of view.
There's no way the drone had sufficient information to even see the bus much less avoid it.
This is why when using active track offset to any side it's going to smack trees or anything else simply because it can't see them.
So - all that to say it's silly to think the DJI algorithms can't determine how fast the bus was going. Of course they can since it measures angular changes from one frame to the next. It'd be interesting to know what fps the collision sensors use.
Anyway - In this case the drone just wasn't seeing the bus at all.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
maybe the Drone couldn't tell what color the bus was and how many were riding it... might be a different story if the Drone was given more info...

The collision sensors are cameras. They use stereoscopic separation to guesstimate distance.
The drone was not head-on to the bus it was at an angle because it had the rider in it's field of view.
There's no way the drone had sufficient information to even see the bus much less avoid it.
...Anyway - In this case the drone just wasn't seeing the bus at all.
I suppose it's possible that these cameras have a narrower field of view than the main camera, but since they're pointed in the same direction, they would have to have a very narrow field of view to not see that bus. It sure looks to me like it was just a failure of the obstacle avoidance system.

I suppose it's possible that these cameras have a narrower field of view than the main camera, but since they're pointed in the same direction, they would have to have a very narrow field of view to not see that bus. It sure looks to me like it was just a failure of the obstacle avoidance system.
Hmm. t's an obstacle avoidance system, not a vehicle avoidance system.

I just can't believe people would even think to use active track in such an area. His Mini 3 hit the school bus.

What an idiot!
While active track is a cute feature, it NEVER should be used like this!
There should’ve been someone else controlling the drone, ready to abort active track at the moment something happens.
This comes under the FAA violation of BVLOS.
I’m surprised the FAA hasn’t called him, especially posting that video like he did…

AND it was a school bus......a LOT of what-ifs.... especially if there were kids on board and more tight traffic, whereby a chain reaction accident could of have occurred....like have pedestrian near the chain reaction accident.....THIS is really bad. We need to have a forum to troll this guy ..... so that he does not think of his bad judgement as trivial....
What if, instead of a bus, it was someone on a motorcycle?
This could’ve turned out so much worse.
And I agree, he’s making it out like it’s no big deal…
In fact, He had the hindsight to make a stupid YouTube video about It, ugh!

Last edited:
Reactions: KLRSKIR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki