DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone still running 4.0.6 DJI Go (Usually used with older firmware)?

xman1

Reactions
Just a note for any of you that do. If yours is like mine, you would have noticed that your DJI Maps downloads have expired and no longer work. After some fiddling this afternoon I have a solution.

If you keep it firewalled (Using No Root Firewall) and allow the two Google clients through the firewall, DJI Go will instead use Google Maps from now on.

Yes, you read the right. It uses the far superior Google Maps, and downloading maps for offline use is as simple as going to the area you plan to fly in and waiting for it to cache.

-X

Would you care to provide a step by step detail for those of us not so familiar with firewalling Go4? It happens not just to 4.0.6 but also to some newer versions. Thanks!

Would you care to provide a step by step detail for those of us not so familiar with firewalling Go4? It happens not just to 4.0.6 but also to some newer versions. Thanks!
Sure. It is quite simple:

1. You may have noticed that if this old version has an internet connection, it will fail to load now. So you either need to firewall it or disable your internet connection. Edit: Make sure you block by default DJI Go for this task otherwise the app won't run. Just an FYI - This will not stop it from trying to contact all the servers and creating the list in step 2.

2. In NetGuard firewall (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard), allow DJI Go to run a bit so it can pick up all the servers it communicates with. Then allow the google clients but block everything else. Note to those of you who are shocked that DJI Go calls home to the world and sends everything about you to probably a 100+ servers, well now you know. You need to firewall the thing. It is telling anyone and everyone all about you and I cannot fit onscreen everyone it calls home to:
Screenshot_20181015-080317.jpg

3. After that, you have access to Google Maps data. Note that I intentionally obscured my location here and zoomed all the way out, but this is just to let you know it works and it works great! So much better than DJI maps:
Screenshot_20181015-080759.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Porto
Note: If anyone still wants the android apk for 4.0.6, I still have it. Note it doesn't have the airplane mode in it, so even though I think that mode is a little gimmicky, if you want airplane mode you would be out of luck with this version.

Sure. It is quite simple:

1. You may have noticed that if this old version has an internet connection, it will fail to load now. So you either need to firewall it or disable your internet connection. Edit: Make sure you block by default DJI Go for this task otherwise the app won't run. Just an FYI - This will not stop it from trying to contact all the servers and creating the list in step 2.

2. In NetGuard firewall (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard), allow DJI Go to run a bit so it can pick up all the servers it communicates with. Then allow the google clients but block everything else. Note to those of you who are shocked that DJI Go calls home to the world and sends everything about you to probably a 100+ servers, well now you know. You need to firewall the thing. It is telling anyone and everyone all about you and I cannot fit onscreen everyone it calls home to:
View attachment 50244

3. After that, you have access to Google Maps data. Note that I intentionally obscured my location here and zoomed all the way out, but this is just to let you know it works and it works great! So much better than DJI maps:
View attachment 50245
Thank for the very detailed information! Unfortunately I am using a modded apk which doesn't contain google map data. With the offline modded apk, the only outside connection Go4 attempted to connect was with amap, even when it's disabled in the app.

Update: the modded apk apparently has an updated about a week ago. The map problem is solved now.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000