DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone switch from a Mavic Air to a Mavic 2?

naiku

Reactions
Lately I've been thinking of selling my Air and swapping it for a Mavic 2, likely Zoom. I have zero complaints with the Air, but I'd like something a little more capable with specifically photography.

Anyone made the switch? Do you regret losing the portability of the Air? One of my favorite things about it is the small size once folded up. Being able to carry it in a small bag while biking is great.

In an ideal world, I'd have both, but realistically I'd end up rarely using the Air and using funds from selling it to partially fund a Mavic 2 makes more sense.

Reactions: Rattydude77
I have both. My Air is always with me. I have a very small case (The DJI Fly More) that holds the Air, remote, a couple batteries and an extra prop or two. Since I always have my phone, it’s my display. It goes in the Jeep or in a saddlebag on the bike. The Air is my “personal selfie fun drone” so it’s always ready to go, with me to use or not. I love flying the Air! It flies great, takes wonderful images and video, plus it’s compact, easy to deploy, and with the MAS props, decently quiet. The only times I don’t do this is during weather extremes, like the miserable, hot, Texas summer days... or the few extremely cold winter days. There are summer days when the temps are 100+, and inside the car can get 140+ if parked out in the sun. I won’t leave it in the car when it’s like that.

The Mavic 2 Pro has a much larger case and I use it, and/or my Typhoons for business. If I’m going somewhere to fly or that I know I’ll fly, then I’ll purposely take it along. It has to be a planned use though, or when I know in advance I’ll have an opportunity to fly, or I’m going to a particularly scenic area. The images and video are certainly better than the Air, but it’s size, kit, the SC and value doesn’t make it as desirable to constantly carry around like the Air.

So, the Air is always there, and the M2P is for planned use. It’s like having a beater guitar that, if it falls in the campfire, isn’t as big a deal as if that happened to the Martin.

I went from the Air to the M2P. I like the M2P a lot (it’s camera is uncanny) but there are aspects I miss about the Air, I loved it. It’s size vs capabilities are pretty incredible.

The M2P has had quality control issues, I’ve had two bum M2Ps with three bum batteries. Never had any quality issues with my Air and I flew the heck out of it.

They both fly great and steady, but there are a few crucial aspects to consider which the M2P just shines at... which puts it far far above the Air in terms of some capabilities:
- low light photos and the camera in general... while the Air is surprisingly good, there simply is no comparison with the M2P. The Air is a sporty MiniCooper, while the M2P is more Ferrari in stature.
-Occusync. After having it, You won’t want to go back to Wifi.
-Battery life. The Air’s battery life is pretty short. The M2P is double of it.

One thing I did is that I recently got a Mavic Mini as a backup / small companion, which is like a stripped down Air, and it’s amazingly good for its size and price point. While it is lacking in some manual camera features, it’s battery life is equal to or longer than the M2P, and it’s even smaller than the Air with an *almost* comparable (though handicapped) camera.

Reactions: Dbez1 and naiku
Excellent replies both of you, thanks. The pro's and con's sound much aligned with my thinking, I love the portability of the Air, never had a single issue with it, if I take it somewhere with me it's so small that even if I don't use it, I am not weighed down by it. But..... wanting to take photos to the next level the better camera will be nice, the additional battery life is also a massive bonus with the Mavic 2.

Hmmmm might see how much I could sell the Air for and how much I would still need to pick up a Mavic 2. Maybe that will be what ultimately decides it for me.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
"The best camera is the one you have with you." I have both a MA and a Phantom 4adv, which has a far better camera. The MA I use probably 70% of the time, including 100% of the time traveling. Most of my video is shown on a good Sony 4K display. You can see some differences between the footages, but not enough to make me use the P4 more frequently.

Reactions: naiku
It’d be a great “do all” kit if you could keep both, but I understand the finances. I’d really like to get an I2/X5s kit but I’d have to sell both my Typhoons and some camera gear to fund it. Good news is that the Air seems to do well on the secondary market, going for $600 or so depending on kit.....but act fast because the Air2 rumors are really ramping up. If it comes out, could cost you $100-$200 in price.

Keeping both would certainly be the ideal solution, but for sure, being realistic it makes more sense to sell the Air to partially fund the Mavic 2 if I decide to go that route. Looking at used Mavic Air prices, I'd be happy with getting about $600 - $650 for it, drone, controller, 2 batteries, tablet mount, original box. Decisions decisions!!

Like Fred Garvin above, I have both (in my case my M2 is a Zoom). If I'm planning a day out to do some flying or have a specific mission in mind, I will nearly always take the M2. If I'm travelling or some opportunity springs up, my "grab and go" is the Air. If I could only have one, it would be the Zoom for sure. There are some regular missions I do which the Air simply can't perform (read on).

The Air does, however, everything that it says on the box and I'm pretty amazed by it. Obviously it is smaller and lighter, this might be important if you're hiking, cycling, climbing, skating or whatnot or limited by space. Not that the M2 is huge or anything, but the size difference is significant. The Air is *small*. If you're likely to be presented with off the cuff photo opportunities, the Air sets up and launches faster, although there isn't much in it. If you're taking it while you're doing anything risky, say hiking or climbing, the Air is less of a loss to take if you slip or drop it. I often have to leave my Air in the car while I'm travelling for work, and it is easier to hide in the car, and less of a loss if some maggot breaks into my car.

But the M2 has more range, better comms, *much* better duration (the Air's battery duration is it's biggest limitation for me). I find that the comms link with the Air is pretty sketchy if operating directly overhead at height (yes I'm orienting the antennae correctly), while the M2 has been perfect. Also the M2 has the Waypoints flight mode which I like and use. I have some regular missions I do which are slightly difficult to fly precisely by hand/eye if I want to stay legal, not stray where I shouldn't be and don't want to waste time. These are routes I could fly manually but I'd be slower, plus it would be repetitive. My Waypoints tasks have it all stored and the M2 gets "on station" faster than I could fly it manually, with more safety and more securely within legal limits. I have a couple of missions that are simply beyond the Air in terms of both distance and time on station. The M2 does them with ease.

Reactions: naiku
I am in same boat as Bigswifty. Started with a Mavic Air and added a M2Zoom after about 9 months. Since getting the M2Z 6 months ago, the Air has been used one time. The Air's short battery limit is the biggest factor for that. Plus with the zoom function and stronger wind capability the M2Z is a big time winner. Can simply do better pics and video.

I haven't decided if I am going to keep the Air or not. If you go for the M2 either edition you won't regret it.

Lately I've been thinking of selling my Air and swapping it for a Mavic 2, likely Zoom. I have zero complaints with the Air, but I'd like something a little more capable with specifically photography.

Anyone made the switch? Do you regret losing the portability of the Air? One of my favorite things about it is the small size once folded up. Being able to carry it in a small bag while biking is great.

In an ideal world, I'd have both, but realistically I'd end up rarely using the Air and using funds from selling it to partially fund a Mavic 2 makes more sense.
I just made the switch, and have zero regrets. The Mavic 2 is bigger, but still fits in my camera bag, in the same spot I used to keep the Air.
I couldn’t stand the short range of the Air. WiFi really sucks as a set of wavelengths for drone use, especially in any populated areas. Even on a recent trip to a Caribbean island, the Air could not fly further than about 800m. The Mavic 2 range is Way better. No comparison.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ