DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone here switched from the Mavic 3 classic to the Air 3?

Thanks for your input. Wow 70mm/3x is really that useful? It is appealing I will agree. But also love the adjustable aperture on the Mavic and the 20MP camera too.
All depends what kind of photos/video you want to do. If you want to photo a house from 30m high, sky view, landscape panorama etc the main 24mm camera will be perfect, but if you want to get more realistic background photos, some action shots then only 70mm, of course 160mm is nice as well but it doesn't have that good quality. Basically you will get a lot more "pro" photos with 70mm 3x camera. 70mm Camera is same on air 3 and mavic 3 pro.

160mm (7x) good only for checking places, poor quality.
Poor quality ??
It has the drawbacks of a small sensor, but makes up for this by giving a different perspective and allowing you to pull in background elements.
I often get great pix with the long tele that I couldn't get with the other cameras.

DJI_20240229142716_0159a-X2.jpg

DJI_20230510122853_0163a-X2.jpg

4-10a-X2.jpg

DJI_20240409151802_0092a-X2.jpg

DJI_0622a-X2.jpg

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Poor quality ??
It has the drawbacks of a small sensor, but makes up for this by giving a different perspective and allowing you to pull in background elements.
I often get great pix with the long tele that I couldn't get with the other cameras.

4-10a-X2.jpg

DJI_0622a-X2.jpg
Photos are ok of course but not at pro level. You can show them to a friend but not bussiness level. With hasselblad camera these ship would look 10x better. That was my point. I have made many good photos with 160mm aswell :)

Photos are ok of course but not at pro level. You can show them to a friend but not bussiness level.
Don't tell my clients.
With hasselblad camera these ship would look 10x better.
Not necessarily.
With the wide camera, the perspective will be very different and some shots just aren't possible.
That was my point. I have made many good photos with 160mm aswell :)
What you are saying makes no sense.
You have made many good photos with the wideangle camera that's "good only for checking places, poor quality".

Don't tell my clients.

Not necessarily.
With the wide camera, the perspective will be very different and some shots just aren't possible.

What you are saying makes no sense.
You have made many good photos with the wideangle camera that's "good only for checking places, poor quality".
Aha so you say your ships are very good photos? :)) Same quality photos you will get with mini2 drone. Mini2 drone is very good for a lot of people and they dont see big difference in photos comparing with bigger drones. And discussion ends there.Yes I made many photos with 160mm but its like 2% of all photos lol. In your ships photos I would get a lot closer with 70mm and photos would like miles better.

Aha so you say your ships are very good photos? :))
Yes, I think those photos are good.
I also understand that there's more to a good image than big image sensor image quality.

Read my first post where I said quite clearly:
I recognise the limitations of that small sensor and I'd love it to have a bigger sensor.
But it also has advantages that cannot be matched by the other cameras.
Same quality photos you will get with mini2 drone. Mini2 drone is very good for a lot of people and they dont see big difference in photos comparing with bigger drones.
This is nonsense.
If I used a Mini, all the shots would be wideangle shots.
I don't want all wideangle shots, I want variety, I want short and longer tele perspective
And discussion ends there.Yes I made many photos with 160mm but its like 2% of all photos lol. In your ships photos I would get a lot closer with 70mm and photos would like miles better.

You imagine I don't use the mid tele?
But there are perspectives it still can't do.
When you want to pull in a distant background, it won't do anywhere near as much.
I shot this for a client last week
They were delighted.
61-64a-X2.jpg

The ships were far apart , but with the longer lens, I could pull them in much more than with the mid-tele.
The shots I tried with that camera just couldn't cut it.

Large sensors are great, I love them ...
But there's a lot more to a good image than just large sensor image quality.
I only use the long tele for a minority of my shots, but it gets me shots that would be impossible with the other cameras.

Last edited:
In your ships photos I would get a lot closer with 70mm and photos would like miles better.
I shot ships for 8 years with a wideangle lens (because that's all DJI offered).
The images had a very samey look and I had to be very careful that I didn't get exaggerated perspective with the near part of the ship very large and the other end looking tiny.
And if you think you could easily get a shot like the second one with a wideangle camera, it would be extremely difficult.
With a tele lens, it's much easier.

I also understand that there's more to a good image than big image sensor image quality.

I recognise the limitations of that small sensor and I'd love it to have a bigger sensor.

This is nonsense.
I don't want all wideangle shots, I want variety, I want short and longer tele perspective

When you want to pull in a distant background, it won't do anywhere near as much.
They were delighted.
The ships were far apart , but with the longer lens, I could pull them in much more than with the mid-tele.
61-64a-X2.jpg

This is nonsense.

They were delighted.
61-64a-X2.jpg

You can pull the background with 70mm aswell very nicely, just need to get closer. 160mm is very limited camera because of small sensor, you would need very bright and clear day to get reasonable photos. Your last photo is not that great mate, yes the view is nice mainly because of two big ships but the colors the quality is poor - thats what I told from beginning.

And you can FORGET night shots with 160mm, just too small sensor, photos not usable at all. 70mm is much better. As I said air3 would be a better drone than mavic3 and mavic3 classic in my eyes. IF money is not a problem then M3PRO without question.

And you can FORGET night shots with 160mm, just too small sensor, photos not usable at all. 70mm is much better. As I said air3 would be a better drone than mavic3 and mavic3 classic in my eyes. IF money is not a problem then M3PRO without question.
Thanks for your advice and helpful hints.
I'll ignore them completely and continue to shoot as I choose and get better images than I would if I followed your advice.
I'll continue to get good pix with all the cameras on my Mavic 3 pro.

Thanks for your advice and helpful hints.
I'll ignore them completely and continue to shoot as I choose and get better images than I would if I followed your advice.
I'll continue to get good pix with all the cameras on my Mavic 3 pro.
I hope you realize that all the answers were for the creator of the topic. There are many people with they own belief like you thinking that you make super good photos with 160mm poor sensor. Many of good photographers will agree that 70mm is the number one camera on todays cheap drones like air 3 and mavic3pro. Normally I would not even discuss with with you but there are many more people who may be confused reading your comments.

All depends what kind of photos/video you want to do. If you want to photo a house from 30m high, sky view, landscape panorama etc the main 24mm camera will be perfect, but if you want to get more realistic background photos, some action shots then only 70mm, of course 160mm is nice as well but it doesn't have that good quality. Basically you will get a lot more "pro" photos with 70mm 3x camera. 70mm Camera is same on air 3 and mavic 3 pro.

I would say that I prefer a true 20MP camera over a 12MP one. But if I had the 3x I would for sure use it. But the small sensor and weak 12MP on the Air 3 is the big drawbacks. And rumours are out the 3S is in production and will have a bigger sensor.

I would say that I prefer a true 20MP camera over a 12MP one. But if I had the 3x I would for sure use it. But the small sensor and weak 12MP on the Air 3 is the big drawbacks. And rumours are out the 3S is in production and will have a bigger sensor.
MP is not everything. False thinking. MP is a picture size not quality of the photo. I heard about air3s aswell. Maybe wise to wait for it :)

On another issue, I
MP is not everything. False thinking. MP is a picture size not quality of the photo. I heard about air3s aswell. Maybe wise to wait for it :)

True that MP isn't everything but several people have said that the Air 3 isn't on the same level as the Mavic 3 classic for photo quality.

But im likely going to exchange my Mavic 3 for another one. Ive yet to open it but Im worried I accidentally damaged the batteries. The day I got it, it was about 35c out that day and i left the entire package in my trunk for just over 2 hours.

When I took it out of the trunk the box was very very warm. I should have brought it in with me but I didn't think about it at the time. So I figure best to not take a chance on a damaged battery and exchange it while i still can.

On another issue, I

True that MP isn't everything but several people have said that the Air 3 isn't on the same level as the Mavic 3 classic for photo quality.

But im likely going to exchange my Mavic 3 for another one. Ive yet to open it but Im worried I accidentally damaged the batteries. The day I got it, it was about 35c out that day and i left the entire package in my trunk for just over 2 hours.

When I took it out of the trunk the box was very very warm. I should have brought it in with me but I didn't think about it at the time. So I figure best to not take a chance on a damaged battery and exchange it while i still can.
Thats the problem, you dont know the difference but someone told you about the quality difference, but they probably forgot that one is wide camera 23mm and another 70mm. There are many professional non drone cameras that one may cost 3000eur, another 7000eur and they wont be on the same level but they both will be good enough, specially when you are doing this just for a hobby. As I guy who understands abit about cameras I tell you 23mm camera is no go for me, I dont shoot landscapes so even if it has superior quality I dont use it. An example wild animal photographers dont use 23mm cameras aswell, you dont want to be eaten by lion hehe. There are landscape photographers and wild animals photographers (shoots with zoom from longer distance). So choose which is you and the selection will be very simple. But I would go only mavic3pro, price is not that much different. I had 2x mavic3pro - best drone so far.

Poor quality ??

4-10a-X2.jpg

DJI_0622a-X2.jpg

Were these taken with Air 3? At 12MP or 48MP?
They look alright but kinda look like pics with a high end smartphone.

Were these taken with Air 3? At 12MP or 48MP?
They look alright but kinda look like pics with a high end smartphone.
Its with 7x 166mm 1/2" tele camera from MAVIC 3 / Mavic 3 PRO. AIR3 dont have this camera. Small sensor, not great quality, need excellent day to get a least OKAY photos. I have been using this camera today, I Dont like it all. P.s. Todays smartphones have a lot better quality than this. I had samsung s24 ultra, main camera is F/1.7 200MP 1/1.3" sensor. That camera will make better photos then mavic 3 classic.

I returned m
Its with 7x 166mm 1/2" tele camera from MAVIC 3 / Mavic 3 PRO. AIR3 dont have this camera. Small sensor, not great quality, need excellent day to get a least OKAY photos. I have been using this camera today, I Dont like it all. P.s. Todays smartphones have a lot better quality than this. I had samsung s24 ultra, main camera is F/1.7 200MP 1/1.3" sensor. That camera will make better photos then mavic 3 classic.

I returned my new Mavic 3 Classic today. Will rebuy another one next week when Im ready to open it so I get a fresh 30 days in store warranty on it and guarantee no damage to the one I returned from accidentally keeping the entire box in my trunk for 2 hours, likely reaching temps of 400F inside the trunk.

This is nonsense.

They were delighted.
61-64a-X2.jpg

I only use the long tele for a minority of my shots, but it gets me shots that would be impossible with the other cameras.
Those are excellent photos. This whole discussion has me considering what my next videography/photography drone will be. I currently use an Air 2S, I like to do imaging of structures and ships, and the telephoto looks nice. I know these are the 160mm, but the low light on the Air 3 is a big draw and it has the 70mm medium Tele, so probably go with that one.

But, also looking at offering agricultural imaging (many orchards and vineyards near me) so the M3M is high on the list, too.

Reactions: Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH