DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone tried laser pointer on drone?

Fleek

Reactions
Can a laser pointer mess up a drone in flight? Anyone tried it?

protestors are said to have brought down a police drone:
“If the drone was being flown manually by an operator watching through a first-person video, the bright lights might have blinded the camera, causing the operator to lose control. Alternatively, “low powered lasers have the ability to interfere with [infrared] landing sensors,” as well as the downward-facing cameras that detect obstacles below, “forcing a landing or uncontrolled drone behavior,”

“If the drone was being flown manually by an operator watching through a first-person video, the bright lights might have blinded the camera, causing the operator to lose control. Alternatively, “low powered lasers have the ability to interfere with [infrared] landing sensors,” as well as the downward-facing cameras that detect obstacles below, “forcing a landing or uncontrolled drone behavior,”
Don’t. That’s all, just don’t.

I think if it did have some effect on the sensors, it would be extremely difficult to concentrate the beam on a hovering drone 100 feet away, and much less if it was moving. I’ve worked with lasers in construction and it’s extremely difficult to see, locate and direct the beam in broad daylight to a given point. The possible exception is if the laser produces a significantly divergent beam that can cover a large cross sectional area. But then the intensity would be compromised.

Reactions: Fleek
Out of curiosity, would purposely aiming a laser at a UAS fall into the same legal area as if someone aimed it at a manned aircraft?

Out of curiosity, would purposely aiming a laser at a UAS fall into the same legal area as if someone aimed it at a manned aircraft?

As the way the FAA’s enforcement against lasers is written, it has to do with interfering with a flight crew by persons on the ground:

But the FAA can have the Justice Department prosecute someone for sabotaging and/or destroying an aircraft, which is a felony, under this rule, including drones:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannick
As the FAA laser law is written, it has to do with interfering with a flight crew by persons on the ground:

Thanks for that link! The way that memorandum reads makes it sound like it could definitely apply to a UAS, if the laser causes the UAS pilot to not be able to properly control the aircraft. Even if you are still able to control the aircraft through VLOS, they do include "distraction". Definitely is up to interpretation, but it seems like an easy reach to connect the dots.

EDIT: Either way, I think the general consensus is "DON'T DO IT".

Reactions: AMann
Thanks for that link! The way that memorandum reads makes it sound like it could definitely apply to a UAS, if the laser causes the UAS pilot to not be able to properly control the aircraft. Even if you are still able to control the aircraft through VLOS, they do include "distraction". Definitely is up to interpretation, but it seems like an easy reach to connect the dots.

EDIT: Either way, I think the general consensus is "DON'T DO IT".

The second link by the Justice Department regarding aircraft sabotage nails it as a felony.

So, I guess trying to shoot one down with an RPG isn't a good idea either? (Mod Removed Language)now what am I going to shoot with this thing.... just kidding! The only thing I shoot with is a camera!

Last edited by a moderator:
Illegal.
Period.
Obviously - but that doesn’t make it uninteresting. For example, I have plans for the Luty sub machine gun, but right now, I have no intention of making one. But in a conflict situation where I felt that I was being suppressed? I’d make one in an afternoon, and arm-up with some laser pointers, and also if possible IR ones - they may help mess up laser target designation. Use with NV goggles? You can also get a ‘laser torch’ with a wider but weaker beam - interesting to see the effect that would have. Also be good to have a fine wire cage or metal box that’s going to act as a Faraday cage, to ‘bag’ any drone or trackable tech you get your hands on.
Added: maybe a ‘cooler bag’ would work to bag up something smaller, with its silver aluminium lining!

Last edited:
Yes I have done it, illegal? Probably. But to answer your question did not effect drone sensors. Mounted it on top of camera so it was in middle of screen to watch while I flew. Actually pretty nifty.

Reactions: Fleek
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803