DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone upgrade to the MA2 from the Mavic Pro?

nn666

Reactions
Is it actually an upgrade? From anyone with an original MP that made the upgrade, was it worth it? I just worry that it is more aimed at beginners with no sharpness/contrast controls etc. and the basic controls through the Fly app compared to the Go4.

Also if you have any comparison images to post between the two that would be helpful.

Cheers.

Think twice on the fly app part. Very disappointing from my perspective.

Reactions: AMRE2ME2
It's not a compelling swap if you already have the MP or MPP, as Starz says DJI Go4 is a better app at this stage

Is it actually an upgrade? From anyone with an original MP that made the upgrade, was it worth it? I just worry that it is more aimed at beginners with no sharpness/contrast controls etc. and the basic controls through the Fly app compared to the Go4.

Also if you have any comparison images to post between the two that would be helpful.

Cheers.
MP is fully hackable, and already supports Litchi, and uses both GO and GO 4. M2A is tightly locked down and still awaiting the SDK for Litchi and requires the Fly app. If those are not issues, MA2 a great value in a very small package, with 4K @ 60fps and digital zoom. Image comparisons will be very similar, as the sensors are virtually the same size, and the 48MP is really just mildly enhanced 12MP using computational photography. Ocusync 2 is more reliable with better range, and the lighter aircraft has a longer flight time, but only at 27mph in N mode instead of 30mph in P mode.

Cheers.

I honestly was never that impressed. Decided to just stay with the spark and platinum. Glad that I did. For now.

Had MP for a few years now added MA2. Probably a few extra auto features. Obviously newer tech. Like the slightly smaller compact size, better portability for trekking. Carry 3 batteries instead of 4 now. Still early days as I’ve only had it for a week and 2 flights. Find the video and photos better quality.
So far not disappointed.

Fly my old MP1 with CrystalSky and my MA2 with Smart Controller. Some high tech features on MA2 that I don’t use. Think photos and videos are pretty similar. Not the much different. For pure flying the MP1 does just fine. Lots of flight hours without a problem on the MP1. Had to replace two batteries that had lots of flight time. Extra flight time on MA2 is nice.

Reactions: mereflyer

Cheers.

I have a platinum pro and a ma2. I see clear difference in video quality which is better for ma2. Just zoom into the videos and u will see. Also flight time and weight are better for ma2. I am missing sharpness settings for ma2. But the object tracking is super nice and useful for very smooth video footage. A big minus for the ma2 are its low light capabilities ... alot of noise. A longer exposure for still scenes in the darkness could resolve that if dji was willing to add additional functionality. I have posted a demonstration already in dji forum. (Keyword stacking in the ma2 sub forum)

Greetings

I have a platinum pro and a ma2. I see clear difference in video quality which is better for ma2. Just zoom into the videos and u will see. Also flight time and weight are better for ma2. I am missing sharpness settings for ma2. But the object tracking is super nice and useful for very smooth video footage. A big minus for the ma2 are its low light capabilities ... alot of noise. A longer exposure for still scenes in the darkness could resolve that if dji was willing to add additional functionality. I have posted a demonstration already in dji forum. (Keyword stacking in the ma2 sub forum)

Greetings

Yeah. Still not sold on the upgrade. Sticking with my platinum and spark. I don’t care if they are considered older tech. Keeping my money in the bank. Maybe if DJI knocks my socks off in the next few years. But I doubt that will happen.

If you use Litchi/waypoints then don’t go to MA2. DJI still has not released SDK and has not made announcement (that I’m aware) stating they’ll provide that ability. My MPP stopped working in spring and I went with MA2 hoping they’d release SDK late summer. My mistake. It is hoped DJI will release an SDK during the 4th quarter.

I’m one of those who “upgraded” and to be honest it’s not really out of choice. My barely 2 year old Mavic Pro gimbal just died out and cost me quite a bomb to fix. After that I just sold it. Funny thing is, the Mavic Air 2 gimbal also just died by it self not so long ago.
Let me echo some of the comments above, the Mavic pro 1 is a hackable and that is a major thing if that’s your thing..

Mavic air 2 pro’s
1. Active track almost works perfectly. If you are careful with trees, power lines, poles, then it is functioning. It is able to create tracking videos much better than the pro 1 which just really doesn’t work most of the time.
2. Flight time is longer if you need it, and it’s important.
3. The camera is better at night when you don’t need to do the stupid auto focus to infinity / manual focus thing.
4. The camera has much better dynamic range in good light, if you notice that the pro 1 is kinda flat in challenging contrast conditions, then Mavic air 2 is a bit better.
5. The range and occusync 2 in 5.8Ghz is much better than Mp1. Better live view, and better to overcome interference. There will be many instances when you can fly further at the same spot than the mp1.
6. I think that the total package weight and bulk, ma2 is slightly lighter.
7. Rear sensor does help in reversing.

cons
1. Fly app is not as good, but most things are catching up
2. No litchi is really a big weakness.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member