DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use an iPad mini 4 with MA2?

Claretcass

Reactions
I used an iPad mini 4 with my Mavic air without problems but as soon as I connected to my new MA2 I received the “CPU on mini running at maximum” so I switched to iPhone 8+ with no problems.
Anybody successfully used a mini 4 or is it just underpowered? Thanks for any info

Reactions: rickfmdj
I used an iPad mini 4 with my Mavic air without problems but as soon as I connected to my new MA2 I received the “CPU on mini running at maximum” so I switched to iPhone 8+ with no problems.
Anybody successfully used a mini 4 or is it just underpowered? Thanks for any info
I haven’t personally used a Mini 4 as I’m using my iPhone 11 Pro Max but I’ve seen several other posters say that they’ve had to upgrade to the Mini 5 because of the processing power. There are some other cheaper but good tablet options. The ASUS Zenpad Z8S seems to do the trick and can be had for 100-150 on eBay, in case you’re in the market for one. Hope that helps!

It has something to do with DJI Fly as DJI Go4 works perfectly on the Mini 4
I often get the "cpu at maximum" message when the DJI Fly connects at the beginning of the flight on the Mini 4, but it doesn't seem to come up a again and the flight and video feed is not subsequently affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fergy
I haven’t personally used a Mini 4 as I’m using my iPhone 11 Pro Max but I’ve seen several other posters say that they’ve had to upgrade to the Mini 5 because of the processing power. There are some other cheaper but good tablet options. The ASUS Zenpad Z8S seems to do the trick and can be had for 100-150 on eBay, in case you’re in the market for one. Hope that helps!

Thanks, just ordered one for delivery tomorrow. The iPad mini 4 has the A8 processor with 2G memory, the iPad mini 5 has the A12 chip with 3G so it makes sense instead of me struggling.

Do you have your iPhone in a case? Don't have a MA2 yet but was planning to get one later this year. Will also be upgrading from an iPhone 8 to the 12 or whatever they call it.

Do you have your iPhone in a case? Don't have a MA2 yet but was planning to get one later this year. Will also be upgrading from an iPhone 8 to the 12 or whatever they call it.
Yeah, it’s in a case. The remote control’s support arms are almost at full extension when I put the phone in but there’s still a couple of centimeters of play. Feels very secure though.

Reactions: GarthH
I have problems with my mini 4. First off getting magnetic compass interference from the remote so my direction indicator is jacked and never accurate (ive tried everything to fix. 3rd party compass apps, etc). #2 i get cpu overload warning and video chodes and gets very choppy even freezes often. Just waiting for smart controller update hopefully very soon so i can buy it.

It has something to do with DJI Fly as DJI Go4 works perfectly on the Mini 4
I often get the "cpu at maximum" message when the DJI Fly connects at the beginning of the flight on the Mini 4, but it doesn't seem to come up a again and the flight and video feed is not subsequently affected.
It's because the MA2 has a h265 live feed which the mini 4 struggles with, considering the mini 4 came out in 2015, and the cpu is even older, it's not really a surprise it struggles.
If you turn off caching in the DJI Fly app it lowers the load on the cpu so will perform a bit better, it's basically a screen recorder running all the time.

Last edited:
It's because the MA2 has a h265 live feed which the mini 4 struggles with, considering the mini 4 came out in 2015, and the cpu is even older, it's not really a surprise it struggles.
If you turn off caching in the DJI Fly app is lowers the load on the cpu so will perform a bit better, it's basically a screen recorder running all the time.

Thank you for info. I have now changed to a Mini 5 and it performs really well. It is also little brighter in sunshine (not that we get much over here). I have a good sunshade, no problem even when I record at 4K 60fps with caching on. I did not want to wait for the smart controller so I got the mini 5.

Reactions: gb160
Thank you for info. I have now changed to a Mini 5 and it performs really well. It is also little brighter in sunshine (not that we get much over here). I have a good sunshade, no problem even when I record at 4K 60fps with caching on. I did not want to wait for the smart controller so I got the mini 5.
Yeah ive bought the mini 5 as well, great little device.
It's been bench tested at 3 x faster than the mini 4.

Out of interest what sunshade do u use?, I could do with getting one, although judging by the weather this week a little umbrella would be of more use ;)

Just ordered the mini 5 - hopefully my direction indicator issue will go away also with this model

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman