DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the Drone Academy to study for the 107?

whats their web address. I am thinking about signing up?

Used Tony Northrup's video and notes along with the printed FAA study guide... all free materials... paid for nothing and passed.

Reactions: ToddR
I used RemotePilot101.com
Passed the Part 107 test after 2 weeks of daily study, following their exercises and quiz for each module.

They also train real pilots.

I second @MediaElite 's recommendation of RemotePilot101.com. I joined them, went through their course in about a week and a half, signed up for the FAA test, took it about a week later, and passed with flying colors. No problems. RemotePilot101's membership is also perpetual. So, in two years, when it's time to re-certify, you can go back, sign in, and be ready to retake your exam.

I second @MediaElite 's recommendation of RemotePilot101.com. I joined them, went through their course in about a week and a half, signed up for the FAA test, took it about a week later, and passed with flying colors. No problems. RemotePilot101's membership is also perpetual. So, in two years, when it's time to re-certify, you can go back, sign in, and be ready to retake your exam.
Does remotepilots101 have text material, or is it all webinars? I like the price, but would like to have written word to also train by. Thanks...

RemotePilot101.com got me through with a 93% on the test.... plus it's for life so when my cert expires I can have a go at it again for free :)

Does remotepilots101 have text material, or is it all webinars? I like the price, but would like to have written word to also train by. Thanks...

It’s mostly videos and quizzes. There are handouts for reference, but no major texts. Remember that the videos are updated whenever there are changes and you have lifetime access. You can get the text material for FREE on FAA website. The FAA is in the progress of change and you don’t want to buy text that becomes obsolete.

If you feel passionate about having written information for study, I recommend taking notes as you watch the lectures and supplement with the FAA site - which is worth getting familiar with to file requests and register/manage drones in the database.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronasoar
There is an infinite amount of information out there for FREE. If you have the money to throw at one of these online 107 study courses then go for it, but it is in no way necessary. I understand that maybe it's a bit more convenient, but I'd rather spend the money on an extra battery. Everything the online schools offer is easy to find by yourself. A lot of it is right in the FAA study guide and Advisory Circular. I have a folder saved to my PC that contains a few tube videos I'd saved, some miscellaneous PDF's with info that I've found useful, and some study notes on weather and airspace classification. When it's time to re-certify it's all there for review.

I can't believe that people are paying to study for the 107. Must have more money than they know what to do with.

I can't believe that people are paying to study for the 107. Must have more money than they know what to do with.
Don't make anyone feel abnormal for wanting a well-put-together educational package. Yes there is free info out there, but its not well organized. That is why I chose Remotepilot101, and I don't regret the $99 I spent on the concise package to be more knowledgable and responsible with my $1,000+ drones. They saved me a LOT of sifting on the net, and also showed steps to registering with IACRA, filing for permission, and more. There are many Part 107 certified people who never actually applied for permission, and would definitely apprecieate help on their first time.

Don't make anyone feel abnormal for wanting a well-put-together educational package. Yes there is free info out there, but its not well organized. That is why I chose Remotepilot101, and I don't regret the $99 I spent on the concise package to be more knowledgable and responsible with my $1,000+ drones. They saved me a LOT of sifting on the net, and also showed steps to registering with IACRA, filing for permission, and more. There are many Part 107 certified people who never actually applied for permission, and would definitely apprecieate help on their first time.
I am happy that it worked out well for you.

@dronasoar There are texts (PDF's) for you to refer to, if needed. I've seen the comments in this thread and in other forums and threads. I am an architect and a college professor, so I'm very familiar with learning processes. Different people learn in different ways. You should use the method that you prefer. If you prefer instruction, then I highly recommend remotepilot101. Also, with their current discount, your one-time fee allows you perpetual access to the course material. So, you can use it to refresh yourself when you have to re-certify. If you prefer just reading resource material, then do that.

The price does not set me back any and I like to have as many resources as possible, so the best fit for me is to go with remotepilot101 and also make use of some of the other resources out there. It is very convenient that you can get everything you need for free online, but I also want that additional structure and guidance that the online schools provide. Thanks for all the help, I really enjoy the community.

Apologies to the OP, I really didn't mean to hijack the thread. You started the thread over a month ago, so which school did you go with?

There is an infinite amount of information out there for FREE. If you have the money to throw at one of these online 107 study courses then go for it, but it is in no way necessary. I understand that maybe it's a bit more convenient, but I'd rather spend the money on an extra battery. Everything the online schools offer is easy to find by yourself. A lot of it is right in the FAA study guide and Advisory Circular. I have a folder saved to my PC that contains a few tube videos I'd saved, some miscellaneous PDF's with info that I've found useful, and some study notes on weather and airspace classification. When it's time to re-certify it's all there for review.
True, however the $150 I spent on the Remote Pilot 101 was well warranted, they stay up to day, it is well organized and I did not have to search for special test questions the FAA had recently added. If $150 is going to break you, wait until you lose a drone ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61