DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the MavMount for iPad?

Ipad Mini 4 on DirtyJDesign's mount. Super lightweight - 2.5 ounce. Lanyard compatible. Easy to pack and set up. With the lanyard on, it's the perfect counter balance to the ipad mini.
Thanks for the pictures.. I have an Ipad Air2 I think i'm stepping away from it for the Mavic and will use the Shield K1

Reactions: Aerial West
Yes, the XL will fit both those tablets, I think they are in the range.
Can someone verify that. That would be great If I could get one mount that would fit them both.

The XL clamp fits tablets from 55mm to 278mm.

I guess if the distance is going down, it will let you know you're coming back. And the faster, the better.

That way at least you can come back blind.

Aerial West, I bought the DirtyJDesign tablet holder. If I had to do it again then I'd get the MavMount. The DirtyJ Mount is functional but feels cheap.

That's one of the benefits of this mount. Since the mount holds the tablet towards the front of the remote controller, it does not block the antennas. Ideally, the tablet and antennas would be position at the same angle -- like this:

View attachment 2651

That would allow the flat side of the antennas to be pointing at the Mavic. That's the ideal position since the signal is the strongest in that direction.

View attachment 2652

I don't think the antennas should be as you have them in the first picture (same angle as the tablet). It looks to me like the flat side will be pointing at the ground. Also looks like the flat side of the tablet will be facing the ground. I think they should be pointing straight up like the second picture. So the flat side is toward the horizon and slightly up at the drone in the sky.

mavmount-jpg.2651

What is the little "nipple" (teehee) at the top of the tablet holder. It almost looks like you could clip a lanyard there, but obviously that wouldn't work out well.

mavmount-jpg.2651

What is the little "nipple" (teehee) at the top of the tablet holder. It almost looks like you could clip a lanyard there, but obviously that wouldn't work out well.
You can pull that to expand the clamp, but I never use it personally.

After reading this thread and some other comments on the Web I decided to go with the Mavmount. I understand why the price is so much higher with the machined aluminium but it's not going to "wear out". The only other negative of the Mavmount that I found was packing space when traveling. Even when taken apart it's going to need more space. Also, when I saw on the video that there is a threaded hole in the flat bar to mount the tablet so the Tx screen is visible I liked it even more.

So even though the price was somewhat steep, usability and durability convinced me the Mavmount was a better choice over all the others out there. But later I might try the 'Dirty Harry' design.depending on the weight. I fly sitting down and usually with the Tx on my lap so not sure weight will be an issue. The problem with the smaller screen on my Note 4 is #1, it's not so good to see in bright light because of glare and #2, especially when it's sitting on my lap. Now let's see how long it take to receive it..

Received the MavMount today, and as a manufacturing equipment maintenance/amateur machinist guy I can say this tablet holder mount is rock solid holding my iPad air 2. The Aluminum base plate and pivot post all CNC aluminum, the tablet holder can mount the tablet 2 different ways and is made of some kind of quality plastic material that has a nice latching mechanism and holds firm. The overall balance of the controller and iPad is natural and not clunky. I first bought the SKYRET tablet mount holder from amazon and it was all cheap plastic and could barely hold the iPad in place, I didn't trust and tossed it on my garage junk pile. I also ordered a iPad stand alone holder and was going to attempt a DIY thing but found this and said forget that also. You couldn't make this yourself for what you can buy it for and trust me I have access to the machines that do.

Received the MavMount today, and as a manufacturing equipment maintenance/amateur machinist guy I can say this tablet holder mount is rock solid holding my iPad air 2. The Aluminum base plate and pivot post all CNC aluminum, the tablet holder can mount the tablet 2 different ways and is made of some kind of quality plastic material that has a nice latching mechanism and holds firm. The overall balance of the controller and iPad is natural and not clunky. I first bought the SKYRET tablet mount holder from amazon and it was all cheap plastic and could barely hold the iPad in place, I didn't trust and tossed it on my garage junk pile. I also ordered a iPad stand alone holder and was going to attempt a DIY thing but found this and said forget that also. You couldn't make this yourself for what you can buy it for and trust me I have access to the machines that do.
Well I just checked my tracking number and it says delivery was attempted at 8:01pm. REALLY...I was sitting in my office 3 feet from the front door.....no knock on the door, no slip left on the door......I think the mail man/woman was tired and wanted to go home so they put that note in the system so they could go home. It better show tomorrow or I am going to go "Postal" on the post office :mad:

Well I just checked my tracking number and it says delivery was attempted at 8:01pm. REALLY...I was sitting in my office 3 feet from the front door.....no knock on the door, no slip left on the door......I think the mail man/woman was tired and wanted to go home so they put that note in the system so they could go home. It better show tomorrow or I am going to go "Postal" on the post office :mad:
Does the package require a signature? Most my packages they just leave at the door, even my Mavic Pro they left sitting on the doorstep. Sadly mine is on backorder. They ran out of the MavMountXLs :( I was hoping to have it in for Christmas as I am sure the Mavic will be the hot item everyone wants to see. They will just have to deal with the small phone screen :p

Does the package require a signature? Most my packages they just leave at the door, even my Mavic Pro they left sitting on the doorstep. Sadly mine is on backorder. They ran out of the MavMountXLs :( I was hoping to have it in for Christmas as I am sure the Mavic will be the hot item everyone wants to see. They will just have to deal with the small phone screen :p
I can't tell from the online tracking and no label was left on the door like the webpage indicates...

Untitled.jpg

Don't hold me to this one because the last thing I want to do is give a bad ETA and get coal in my stocking this year for lying, but looks like.. and I'm --hoping-- the XL clamps arrive and are ready tomorrow to be boxed up.

I do have a Mavmount. I does ROCK! Balances well on the controller. I used my IPad mini 4. The Mavmount has a tripod ball. I just went to Amazon and bought a IPAD tripod holder to upgrade my Mavmount to use with my IPad Air 2.

Received my MavMount and I can verify it is a sturdy and well made piece of equipment. It holds my Nvidea Shield with Hoodivision sun cover as well or more firmly than the DJI tablet clamp. It is a bit easier to attach the tablet because it has a spring clamp, the DJI mount has to be pushed together to hold the table. It seems to hold better than the DJI mount by using the constant spring pressure. I don't see and way it could be improved. You might be able to attach a lanyard to the flexible rubber loop on the end of the tablet mount but I haven't tried that yet. All I need now is for the Mavic to arrive so I can use it.

I ordered and received the MavMount mount and used it one day on several flights
and did not like it very much.

I used it with a iPad Mini 4 with a Hoodman sun shield.

It is well made and sturdy but the tablet with a Hoodman is not held
securely enough. I feel the mount that secures the tablet should have
been a bit wider to keep the tablet from flopping around.

Without the sun shield it probably would have been adequate.

Also it adds a lot of weight and makes a lanyard a necessity after several flights.

It just felt awkward and loose sitting over the RC and blocking the screen.

In the end I like the way the RC holds the iPad Mini better as it
feels more comfortable and secure to hold and lighter.

lanyard.jpg
Received my MavMount and I can verify it is a sturdy and well made piece of equipment. It holds my Nvidea Shield with Hoodivision sun cover as well or more firmly than the DJI tablet clamp. It is a bit easier to attach the tablet because it has a spring clamp, the DJI mount has to be pushed together to hold the table. It seems to hold better than the DJI mount by using the constant spring pressure. I don't see and way it could be improved. You might be able to attach a lanyard to the flexible rubber loop on the end of the tablet mount but I haven't tried that yet. All I need now is for the Mavic to arrive so I can use it.

Thanks for the feedback! I have used my mavmount with a lanyard, and while I don't have any issue holding the controller, a lanyard is one of the things that people have asked about. I think in the future I will just include a lanyard that goes around the ballmount.. I was literally talking to my buddy who sells those sorts of things about 15 minutes ago.

Here's a pic of me "product testing" with my Inspire 1 harness lanyard thingie. I never use it myself but i grabbed it out of the case. I used a little velcro strap i use for holding wires to simulate the string loop a lanyard would have.

Just received my Mavmount and there are a couple of things that bother me. It's heavy, the base is quite sturdy I don't see why you couldn't add a couple more cutouts to lighten it. Also its bulky, I thought I would be able to remove the base easily so I could put it in my bag (store it flat). I haven't been able to try it out yet (snow, snow, snow), probably next week. Looking forward to using my iPad mini instead of the phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688