DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using the Maxx UAV replacement antenna?

Cmar143

Reactions
Curious is anyone has tried the Maxx UAV replacement antenna booster? Not the cheap 3D printed reflectors that go behind the antenna but this replaces the antenna and is a real booster. I am very curious on how much better the performance is with this mod but there are no videos and info is limited from what I can find.

Good question but considering you are limited by the battery life of the Mavic and it already goes to the limit, not sure you would need the antenna mod as you would probably run out of battery before the signal is completely gone.

Maxx UAV is a reputable company and a guy a fly with had this mod on a Phantom which seemed to have perform well. In regards to the Mavic, I personally would get a second RC and perform the mod on it. IMO the Mavic is all about portability and any additional item that I would have to carry or assemble takes away from that.

I got a second controller and finished the mod last night. May be awhile before I can test it out but I'll report back. I do recommend having maxxuav do the mod. It's not terribly hard it's just a frustrating pain in the ***. I didn't exactly buy it for increased range, just wanted more power in an urban environment.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This would be an asset for flying in an urban envirement, not cow pastures........

Exactly the reason why I'm interested in this mod. For me, it's not about long distances, it's about great signal performance in wifi congested areas, including areas with lots of obstacles, i.e., trees, power lines, cell phone towers, buildings, houses, etc.

That would be my reason too, I always fly in urban environment so signal strength would be very important.....

Exactly the reason why I'm interested in this mod. For me, it's not about long distances, it's about great signal performance in wifi congested areas, including areas with lots of obstacles, i.e., trees, power lines, cell phone towers, buildings, houses, etc.

I just need to figure out a good test. I need to fly around until I get interference with the stock controller and then repeat with the mod.

As Anthony mentioned above, MaxxUav is a reputable company. I've ordered parts for my modded P3P controller from Jake at MaxxUav. A pleasure to deal with.

The interference in an urban environment is the reason I am looking for one. I can get a mile or so out from my house and signal starts dropping off quick. I just want to hear from a few people that it does indeed extend performance

The interference in an urban environment is the reason I am looking for one. I can get a mile or so out from my house and signal starts dropping off quick. I just want to hear from a few people that it does indeed extend performance

I can't speak for Mavics, but for my P3P, in my area, there was a huge difference in signal performance over stock. It nearly doubled my distance.

Reactions: RallySoob
I've ordered mine and a spare Mavic controller- I'll let everyone know how I get on once it arrives... :)

Hi All,

Well I received my Maxx UAV antenna and cracked open the Mavic controller tonight.

I'm happy to report that the modification is relatively easy if you don't rush - and have just tested the Mavic and flew over 3km away with 3 bars showing on the meter - just a quick test to make sure it worked.

I'll do some comprehensive testing over the next few day but I'm certainly a happy customer at this point :)

IMG_2902.JPG

AlR

Hi All,

Well I received my Maxx UAV antenna and cracked open the Mavic controller tonight.

I'm happy to report that the modification is relatively easy if you don't rush - and have just tested the Mavic and flew over 3km away with 3 bars showing on the meter - just a quick test to make sure it worked.

I'll do some comprehensive testing over the next few day but I'm certainly a happy customer at this point :)

View attachment 6011

AlR

please continue to post your findings. Very interested!!!

Hi All,

View attachment 6011

AlR

Nice! Please post more pics and video of your flights/experiences with this mod. I've done DBS and FPVLR boosted antenna mods to my P3P controllers, but the Mavic controller is a different beast.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
So want to do this but scared taking this controller apart

I know exactly what you mean. I was the same way before doing mods to my P3P controller. But before opening P3P controller, I would watch as many different videos that I could find (at that time I think there were only 2 or 3) on modding. Then I would take lots of pics at different stages while taking it apart, and after installing new cables/rp-sma connectors. That was over a year ago and am still flying my P3P without any issues.

Do they also sell the mavic controller...

Hi,

No - I bought a second controller off eBay from Thunder-drones which arrived (brand new)

I live in Hong Kong so thought it would be easy to get a spare controller from the DJI store but unfortunately they won't sell them as separate items - so went the eBay route.

I'll do some full tests this weekend. If anyone has anything specifically they'd like me to check - then happy to test.

Also, if anyone in the HK area is looking to do this mod but is not feeling up to opening the case - I'm happy to help as it's not that difficult (take about 40 mins opening/installing/closing)

Best,

AlR

Seems like a spare controller is to expensive for me. I know you can just screw on some stockish duck bill antenna's (after the mod) on if you want it back to stock size. Hoping someone can comment on how easy/hard or practical that is.

I also fly in the urban environment and usually get less then a mile around my house.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent