DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using the Maxx UAV replacement antenna?

Ya how does it perform with mavic sized antennas attached when u dont have room for main ant

Seems like a spare controller is to expensive for me. I know you can just screw on some stockish duck bill antenna's (after the mod) on if you want it back to stock size. Hoping someone can comment on how easy/hard or practical that is.

I also fly in the urban environment and usually get less then a mile around my house.

What I can do (although not wholly scientific as two different controllers) is do an urban route (we have lots of tall buildings in Hong Kong) with both the normal controller and the modded MaxxUav controller.

I would imagine that the MaxxUav might be less affective as its more directional, unless of course bouncing the signal off of the buildings works..

It was certainly very promising in open environments and I'm a pleased consumer at this point :)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ya how does it perform with mavic sized antennas attached when u dont have room for main ant

You can't use the old Mavic antennas once your modded the controller, but you could certainly try other types attached to the external connectors - I'm not an antenna whiz by any stretch of imagination but if you've got any suggestions on types of antenna to try; happy to experiment

Hi All,

Well I received my Maxx UAV antenna and cracked open the Mavic controller tonight.

I'm happy to report that the modification is relatively easy if you don't rush - and have just tested the Mavic and flew over 3km away with 3 bars showing on the meter - just a quick test to make sure it worked.

I'll do some comprehensive testing over the next few day but I'm certainly a happy customer at this point :)

View attachment 6011

AlR

Does it matter if u connect to port 1 or port 2 differently?

You can't use the old Mavic antennas once your modded the controller, but you could certainly try other types attached to the external connectors - I'm not an antenna whiz by any stretch of imagination but if you've got any suggestions on types of antenna to try; happy to experiment

Hence why i said 'Mavic SIZED' antennas instead of blah blah blah .... i say just use a nice wifi 3-5db 2.5" antenna?

Off topic but i installed 6db antennas on my syma x8 controller and drone today it made huge difference. Went from 300-450ft range to over 4,000ft without losing connection but i ran out of field. Cuz it drops like a rock when it loses signal so ya but anyway i got the syma x8w for 55$ shipped free on amazon, two 6db antennas with pigtails for another 10$... 65$ for a phantom replica that can go a mile. Seems like a no brainer right? I lost one to high winds cuz its got brushed motors but on a nice still day its a blast. Perfect for risky shots too if u got a go pro etc.
So antennas def do alot. I wonder what kind the mavic has exactly.. it looks like a 3-5db duckbill too me and assuming occusync is 5.8g wifi too

Last edited:
I had this panel antenna on my P3A and it worked very well. I used it also for increased penetration in congested areas and it did the job, doubled my signal range in urban flying areas. It is more directional that the OEM antenna so you need to keep an eye on the radar to make sure you are pointing in the UAV's direction.

Reactions: RallySoob
Jake at MaxxUAV is very customer service oriented and a pleasure to do business with. Seems like a very honest guy. However, in all fairness, I must say that he did a mod on my P3P that did not work. Not even a bit of increased distance or stronger signal. If anything, it might have even dropped a little. By no means bashing Jake or MaxxUAV, but felt like I needed to share my experience. I just had my Mavic Pro delivered today. Will fly tomorrow to see how signal strength is. Given that I believe Jake is an honest guy and that my experience with my P3P might have just been a one-off, I would probably give him another shot if I feel like a mod would be needed on my Mavic

Which area will be you testing in Hong Kong? Are you going to be on ground level flying let say Causeway bay or are you going to be on the roof of a building? Will like to know the results of your finding.

Jake at MaxxUAV is very customer service oriented and a pleasure to do business with. Seems like a very honest guy. However, in all fairness, I must say that he did a mod on my P3P that did not work. Not even a bit of increased distance or stronger signal. If anything, it might have even dropped a little. By no means bashing Jake or MaxxUAV, but felt like I needed to share my experience. I just had my Mavic Pro delivered today. Will fly tomorrow to see how signal strength is. Given that I believe Jake is an honest guy and that my experience with my P3P might have just been a one-off, I would probably give him another shot if I feel like a mod would be needed on my Mavic

To be honest - the stock Mavic really doesn't need modding for 90+ pct of its use - but it's always nice to push these limits for fun.

I didn't use Jake to do the mod as being in Hong Kong didn't want the hassle of ordering a spare controller then sending it to the US and back; so watching some of the YouTube vids, it didn't look to onerous a task and happy to report it is relatively easy.

I did find that there are two small brass washers in the mod that if you use them you don't have enough thread for the antenna connection - so I've left them out and it seems fine (the 3D printed bracket just seems slightly too thick.)

Which area will be you testing in Hong Kong? Are you going to be on ground level flying let say Causeway bay or are you going to be on the roof of a building? Will like to know the results of your finding.

I'll have to have a think of a suitable area - I might try from ground level at the yacht club at causeway bay and head towards happy valley/Aberdeen direction.

From a roof top might be tricky, but I saw some footage from the peak which might be an option.

From an over water perspective; I'll go from Discovery Bay out past Disney for a line-of-sight distance test.

Hence why i said 'Mavic SIZED' antennas instead of blah blah blah .... i say just use a nice wifi 3-5db 2.5" antenna?

Off topic but i installed 6db antennas on my syma x8 controller and drone today it made huge difference. Went from 300-450ft range to over 4,000ft without losing connection but i ran out of field. Cuz it drops like a rock when it loses signal so ya but anyway i got the syma x8w for 55$ shipped free on amazon, two 6db antennas with pigtails for another 10$... 65$ for a phantom replica that can go a mile. Seems like a no brainer right? I lost one to high winds cuz its got brushed motors but on a nice still day its a blast. Perfect for risky shots too if u got a go pro etc.
So antennas def do alot. I wonder what kind the mavic has exactly.. it looks like a 3-5db duckbill too me and assuming occusync is 5.8g wifi too

Let me see if I can source a 6db antenna easily - Amazon unfortunately don't always shop to Hong Kong; but eBay is my friend if not :)

I'm out-of-my depth when it comes to antennas; so it's definitely a learning experience for me. I have for, instance some 6db antenna's with the same connector that are currently attached to a 2.4Ghz wifi router - so will try those, but I'm not sure how affective they will be if they are not 'rated' for higher frequencies? What are your thoughts?

I have a couple of controller for sale. I bought one of a member here while DJI was repairing my original. Both are practically brand new. PM me if you are interested. Reason for selling is I lost my Mavic a couple of weeks back. :(

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
is there any antennas that you can just screw on the end or mount to the existing antennas? It seems like I saw some that looked like a 2 pieces of pvc pipe cut in two.

Seems like a spare controller is to expensive for me. I know you can just screw on some stockish duck bill antenna's (after the mod) on if you want it back to stock size. Hoping someone can comment on how easy/hard or practical that is.

I also fly in the urban environment and usually get less then a mile around my house.
If you're not gonna go with the Boosted kit then I would suggest that you just stay stock. I don't think that you're gonna gain enough to justify the swap with just the antenna alone. I've run it both ways and that's just my opinion on that. Now Boosted is another story. Tremendous difference between stock and the Boosted kit.

SAM_0053.JPG

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan