DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App going off mid-flight With my Mini 2

David Smith

Reactions
Hello, world. I think I asked this question a while back. But I have to ask again. Does your DJI fly app turn off mid-flight? My phone just returns to the front page, showing all my apps. I don't panic anymore. The drone just hovers where it lost contact. What a machine eh!!
I just tap the DJI icon. The app opens. We are back in control again. The good thing about when this happens. I can still tap the RTH button, and home it comes. All by itself. How clever. I've replaced the double-ended short 'C' type cable three times with genuine DJI ones. I never fly without everything fully charged. And over open fields. So no interference. So, Does yours do that irrespective of what model you have?
Please help. Just that, one day it may not come home.
David in the UK

I pretty much only use the Litchi app now with my Mini 2. It has never crashed. The DJIFly app would be OK for a couple of flights and then it might crash four times in the next ten minutes. The thing you need to remember, though, is that the app isn't flying the drone, the controller is. You still have complete control of the drone if the app crashes, you just can't see the camera feed anymore. And that shouldn't be a worry if you can see your drone. But, yeah, I used to just take my fingers off the sticks and let the drone hover until the app reloaded.

You don't say what type of phone you are using nor how long you've used it as a phone before using it with the DJI App… The DJI App is a monster application as it has so much to do, I have included a Youtube video linked below to explain it further.

I use a 2016 Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet and I used it for 5 years as a daily use tablet before loading the DJI App. It has 3 GBs Ram and 32 GBs storage, plus a 32 GB MicroSD card. Now, I've never had the App just quit, but I did have some stuttering in the video.

To stop this, I always run Device Maintenance from the Drop Down Menu for Setup and clear out the memory before I fly, it only takes a minute or two…

Your phone might have just too many Apps running and DJI crashes because of it. I advise you clear out all your useless Apps, delete any old photos and music files, and shut down Notifications from Facebook, TikTok, the weather channel, just to name a few…

Also turn off phone charging in the DJI App. Since you are probably running the display at full power, the phone might just be getting too hot…

Let us know if any of these suggestions help, others can learn from your experience.

phone.png

Update your DJI Fly app. If you are using an older version, that might happen. It happened to me a lot with the first builds of 1.4.8. Now I'm on 1.5.10 and everything works fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405