DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Approaching Rain Storm Hyper Lapse

Big Bro

is watching you!
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've started playing around with hyper lapse and I've had a hard time figuring out why my shots are zoomed when playing them back, so I put the drone up in the front yard to do a test shot and was pleasantly surprised when I found this coming at me!

Still not sure why I'm getting a bit of zoom. I though it was because I had the "Shot Frame" button on in the camera settings, but turning it off didn't help. The video above I processed all the stills through davinci resolve to get a full frame hyper lapse. If anyone has a solution, please let me know, it's driving me crazy!

Reactions: Mike49
That "zoom" is cropping that DJI software does to the images to create a smooth, stabilized hyperlapse.

You found the best way to eliminate that cropping IMHO. I have done the same many times. I have seen DJI crop out 30% of the captured image to produce a smooth result. Quite annoying. Fortunately creating a full frame hyperlapse from original images is pretty simple.

That "zoom" is cropping that DJI software does to the images to create a smooth, stabilized hyperlapse.

You found the best way to eliminate that cropping IMHO. I have done the same many times. I have seen DJI crop out 30% of the captured image to produce a smooth result. Quite annoying. Fortunately creating a full frame hyperlapse from original images is pretty simple.
That makes sense! It seemed like it was cropping more sometimes than others. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, but I guess the wind is the controlling factor. I know I had to apply a little smoothing in davinci, but the crop factor was way less than what the camera was doing. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
YW...when I have a chance later I can post 2 hyperlapses that demonstrate the difference between when DJI Fly created and what I was able to do in Resolve using the original individual photos.

OK, so here is the original hyperlapse created by the DJI Fly app:
Original DJI Hyperlapse

And here is the hyperlapse I created in daVinci Resolve:
Hyperlapse created in DaVinci Resolve with Original Raw photos

I was watching the hyperlapse as it took place. I vividly remembered seeing the NYC skyline in the distance at the top of the image in Fly app and thinking to myself "this will look great". Except that DJI Fly cropped the heck out of it.

Turning to daVinci Resolve, I was able to create the full frame seen during the hyperlapse flight. Very happy with the result.

Reactions: Big Bro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne