DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Approaching wildlife?

I do wild life photography but the Mavic 3 changed the game for me. I procure not to disturb the animals the best I can. Again I personally believe that In person I disturbe more than with the drone. But that’s me. I approach very gentil non aggressive.

If that was a nesting osprey you would probably be missing a mavic 3 right now. They can easily take down a drone.

First, I am not flying in a reserve. If you notice I am using a zoom lens far from the bird. Do the bird looks distressed for you? Do you realize people walking with dogs in a reserve distress more animals that taking pictures from far? same as photographers with zoom lens. No difference.

This is all about common sense. FWC allow hunters to kill and hunt migratory birds. Do you know how loud is the gunshot from a shotgun? That will distress even people in a 1/4 mile radius.

Yes, a reserve or national park is different and we need to follow the rules. This is why is important check the area to know if is legal or not. I always use SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts before flying in a new place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care if birds are a little freaked out by my drone. What's next? Do I need to stop riding my jetski because I might be harassing the fish?

A. Keeping "separation" is kinda nebulous. Is it 1 foot, 100 feet, more?

B. "Best practices" are just rules some dude made up. That dude doesn't know any better than we do. If those rules make a lot of sense to me, I'll follow them, if not, I'll ignore them. I've seen a youtube video claiming we need to avoid trees because the tree might be traumatized by a drone. I'm ignoring his "best practice" and would continue to ignore it even if he was head of the FAA and it became law.
WOW. The arrogance is oozing off of you here

First, I am not flying in a reserve. If you notice I am using a zoom lens far from the bird. Do the bird looks distressed for you? Do you realize people walking with dogs in a reserve distress more animals that taking pictures from far? same as photographers with zoom lens. No difference.

This is all about common sense. FWC allow hunters to kill and hunt migratory birds. Do you know how loud is the gunshot from a shotgun? That will distress even people in a 1/4 mile radius.

Yes, a reserve or national park is different and we need to follow the rules. This is why is important check the area to know if is legal or not. I always use SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts before flaying in a new place.
Reserves around here prohibit dogs, drones, and bikes. If you are respectful and ask, they may allow you to fly during non mating season. But you better be respectful and keep your distance

Reactions: zeusfl
Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan