DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Arches National Park - The Delicate Arch

MPone

Reactions
Delicate Arch is a 52ft tall freestanding natural arch is the crown jewel of Arches National Park. While Arches National Park has more than 2,000 stone arches, Delicate Arch stands out as a symbol of the state of Utah and one of the most recognized geological features in the world. That said, this is not an easy hike, as it contains a significant climb up a steep slick rock slope. There is no shade, and it gets quite hot in the summer, so anyone taking this trail should be prepared for what is to come.

Delicate Arch is a 52ft tall freestanding natural arch is the crown jewel of Arches National Park. While Arches National Park has more than 2,000 stone arches, Delicate Arch stands out as a symbol of the state of Utah and one of the most recognized geological features in the world. That said, this is not an easy hike, as it contains a significant climb up a steep slick rock slope. There is no shade, and it gets quite hot in the summer, so anyone taking this trail should be prepared for what is to come.
I watched this and the first and last thoughts were, too many people! They have really totally ruined the national parks. Too many crowds, rules, etc. You can no longer get a clear shot of anything, and spend more time with the spot healing brush eliminating people than actually seeing the site.

I'm glad I saw most of the national parks 20 and 30 years ago. I have returned several times to nearby (when I am in my Montana condo) Yellowstone and it is nothing but a parking lot. The same for Glacier. Hotel space is more than a year or more away, and no parking exists for any trail head unless you get there by 6 AM. Reservations and limits have come and they actually need to be more strict.

Rant over. Still a nice video despite dealing with the hordes.

Dale

I don't disagree with Dale but if at been there, the crowds in general wouldn't have bothered me as much as all the people who feel they have to stand right under it for a photo. Seems like there needs to be some designated "time outs" where NO one is allows to get within 100' of the arch or whatever, so everyone can get a beautiful photos free of bodies. The other option is, I read about more and more people who, when they want to see a beautiful natrual wonder, they head out when it's dark so they get there just as it's getting light, that is, if the hours of the park allow it.

I don't disagree with Dale but if at been there, the crowds in general wouldn't have bothered me as much as all the people who feel they have to stand right under it for a photo. Seems like there needs to be some designated "time outs" where NO one is allows to get within 100' of the arch or whatever, so everyone can get a beautiful photos free of bodies. The other option is, I read about more and more people who, when they want to see a beautiful natrual wonder, they head out when it's dark so they get there just as it's getting light, that is, if the hours of the park allow it.
Dave:

I was there about 20 year ago. Most national parks are open 24 hours, but if you have been to the Delicate Arch, you would know that it is a treacherous walk from the parking lot (at least a mile or more) , with some steep shale parts, easily causing dangerous footing in the dark. Yes, you could go there at night, in the dark, but surprise, surprise, there are still many astrophotographers there now. Oh, and yes it is very cold. In sum, it is virtually impossible to get a sterile (no human) image of the iconic arch anymore. Heavy usage of Photoshop are now needed to remove the people from the images. An do not try to get an astro shot there either. Dumb people (with flashlights) will ruin your images.

If I sound like a curmudgeon, I am.

Dale
Miami

Dave:

I was there about 20 year ago. Most national parks are open 24 hours, but if you have been to the Delicate Arch, you would know that it is a treacherous walk from the parking lot (at least a mile or more) , with some steep shale parts, easily causing dangerous footing in the dark. Yes, you could go there at night, in the dark, but surprise, surprise, there are still many astrophotographers there now. Oh, and yes it is very cold. In sum, it is virtually impossible to get a sterile (no human) image of the iconic arch anymore. Heavy usage of Photoshop are now needed to remove the people from the images. An do not try to get an astro shot there either. Dumb people (with flashlights) will ruin your images.

Dale
Miami
I totally get it. We are a selfie, Youtube, Vlogger crazy society any more.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I totally get it. We are a selfie, Youtube, Vlogger crazy society any more.
Yes- Dave- regrettably , the national parks became the "go to" place during covid because we were not allowed out of the country. Since then, the parks has instituted reservation systems, no car traffic, and there is still massive congestion, with no parking for the trails, or the shops at the pull offs. I think the best time to go there is as late in the summer as possible, near time when fall and snow are threatening and the children are back in school.

I tried to get a hotel in the park at Glacier and the entire year is filled.

Dave:

Dale
Miami
you know for some perverse reason I agree and got a great laugh at your comments Dale. Even here people are starting to turn up in the most unexpected places...unless you get bogged and then it seems you are on your own. I remember giving a talk to a Society once and every photo had somebody in shot.
Enrol me in your curmudgeon club.

My wife and I had that arch to ourselves for about 20 minutes on a summer day 18 years ago. We started the hike during a rainshower. On our way up, we met many people coming down. Just before we reached the top, it cleared up, and it took a while for others to come up the trail. I will never forget rounding that last corner and seeing the arch. It literally took my breath away as I gasped at the sight.

I just planned a trip to Zion then on to Bryce Canyon. After seeing hotel prices in Springdale for a 3 star hotel at $300 a night AND hordes of people traffic expected, I cancelled my plans. Going to save $$ and head to Hawaii instead.
I'll not pay $$$$ to see a bunch of rocks along with a thousand other people! No way worth it.

you know for some perverse reason I agree and got a great laugh at your comments Dale. Even here people are starting to turn up in the most unexpected places...unless you get bogged and then it seems you are on your own. I remember giving a talk to a Society once and every photo had somebody in shot.
Enrol me in your curmudgeon club.
I have grudgingly learned that I have wasted tons of time waiting for people to leave my shot. I'd say most of them are knowledgable about me standing there waiting for them but they really could care less. They really don't give a s.... So now, I shoot freely, planning to use my trusty spot healing brush tool and wipe them away in postproduction

Dale
Miami

.Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 9.24.59 AM.png

Did just that. When we arrived at the arch near sunrise, there were already people under the arch. By the time we got back to the parking lot at 8:30 am it was already completely full.

People in videos does make it more interesting unlike being in the photos. Especially when the people passes by or make some movements, it does make the video more interesting. I rarely take photos nowadays so the crowds doesn't really bother me much. I'm sure they (the crowds) will thin out in the national parks once the covid pandemic goes away and international travels are bustling again.
But since the drone flight restrictions in all national parks, this will probably be my last NP visits for a while. I will make priority to the places without any drone restrictions.

Yes- Dave- regrettably , the national parks became the "go to" place during covid because we were not allowed out of the country. Since then, the parks has instituted reservation systems, no car traffic, and there is still massive congestion, with no parking for the trails, or the shops at the pull offs. I think the best time to go there is as late in the summer as possible, near time when fall and snow are threatening and the children are back in school.

I tried to get a hotel in the park at Glacier and the entire year is filled.
I don't know if you've ever been to Mackinac Island between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan, but it's the same way. If you go just after Labor Day, everything is still open because the college students who work in the shops are still there trying to get a few last dollars of salary before school, but the tourists are mostly gone since elementary, middle and high schools have started up again. You can get great photos and video then. The island does not allow and motor vehicles, it's all horses and carriages so it makes for wonderful, olde time looking shots. The best thing though is the hordes are people are gone!

nicely done!

did you have to get any special permit to launch in the park??

This is a really nice video. I'll be heading to Northern Arizona and Utah in mid summer for some of these sites (hoping the Navajo Nation gives me a permit to fly) ;).

Dale D you are absolutely correct! I agree 100%. I purposely schedule my trips during the most inhospitable times for each location to minimize humans. I went to Death Valley in the summer when it was 128 degrees. I walked 2 miles (with camera gear) out onto Badwater Basin just to get photos devoid of people. I did not have to erase or remove people from any of these photos. Yes, fully dressed and 128 degrees!

Death Valley 3 (2).jpg Death Valley 5 (2).jpg

Any place I visit I do my best to go off-season. Just so I can have the solitude to myself.

Clark's Dry Lake.jpg Font's Point.jpg

I said this in another post; I can download a billion photos of all these places to visit . . . the only thing missing is me (standing in all those places to visit).

Reactions: MPone
This is a really nice video. I'll be heading to Northern Arizona and Utah in mid summer for some of these sites (hoping the Navajo Nation gives me a permit to fly) ;).

Dale D you are absolutely correct! I agree 100%. I purposely schedule my trips during the most inhospitable times for each location to minimize humans. I went to Death Valley in the summer when it was 128 degrees. I walked 2 miles (with camera gear) out onto Badwater Basin just to get photos devoid of people. I did not have to erase or remove people from any of these photos. Yes, fully dressed and 128 degrees!

View attachment 147624 View attachment 147628

Any place I visit I do my best to go off-season. Just so I can have the solitude to myself.

View attachment 147627 View attachment 147629

I said this in another post; I can download a billion photos of all these places to visit . . . the only thing missing is me (standing in all those places to visit).
Thanks! Good luck, hope you get the permission to drone in Navajo territory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147